New queen~ !

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I found a new queen(actually found a few alates doing this method) but I'm not so sure she's fertile. Here's a quicksie. 0523131115.jpg 0523131116.jpg 0523131114.jpg

There's one pic that has the female with what I believe to be the male. She hasn't eaten him or attacked him yet. Which leaves me to believe she might not be fertile. Wouldn't she be aggressive if she was fertile?Plus the third one which is sideview the gaster isn't really swollen....

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I found a new queen(actually found a few alates doing this method) but I'm not so sure she's fertile. Here's a quicksie. View attachment 117283 View attachment 117282 View attachment 117281

There's one pic that has the female with what I believe to be the male. She hasn't eaten him or attacked him yet. Which leaves me to believe she might not be fertile. Wouldn't she be aggressive if she was fertile?Plus the third one which is sideview the gaster isn't really swollen....
take it with a grain of salt due to grainey and blurred pictures but, the big one looks like a male. the swollen thorax and small head is usualy a good indicator of this

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are both males. You should let them go so they can do their thing. Look for queens that have dropped their wings and are searching for a nest site. The ants you have look like a camponotus species... You can easily find fertile females, even with eggs, during the fall and winter months underneath rotten logs or inside rotten logs. You can often find several queens in the same log/ stump. Good luck!}

Josh

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They are both males. You should let them go so they can do their thing. Look for queens that have dropped their wings and are searching for a nest site. The ants you have look like a camponotus species... You can easily find fertile females, even with eggs, during the fall and winter months underneath rotten logs or inside rotten logs. You can often find several queens in the same log/ stump. Good luck!}

Josh
I thought males were smaller....... The tiny one was chewed up. :x I tried looking under logs and stumps. u___u all I find are ants but no queens.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am sorry I know some of you are going to hate me for this but umm go sing this in your mind when you watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y62OlGvC-bk

" You are the formica queen, fat and sweet, bulging gaassster/ Aant queen birthing more than a chinese fama-lee~! You can dig, lay some eggs, birthing the time of your life/ See that ant, watch that queen, morbid birthing queen!"

I'm sorry don't hate me for this stupid joke. xD

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I thought males were smaller....... The tiny one was chewed up. :x I tried looking under logs and stumps. u___u all I find are ants but no queens.
you need to look in the fall and winter. Right now, all the queens will have new colonies started and will be much more difficult to find.

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you need to look in the fall and winter. Right now, all the queens will have new colonies started and will be much more difficult to find.
Where did you pull this from? That is not true, alates fly all summer. The best time to catch a colony is when it is small, even better would be when the queen hasn't even founded a colony aka after her nuptial flight. I've never had issues finding 1st year colonies mid summer, especially Camponotus colonies.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Where did you pull this from? That is not true, alates fly all summer. The best time to catch a colony is when it is small, even better would be when the queen hasn't even founded a colony aka after her nuptial flight. I've never had issues finding 1st year colonies mid summer, especially Camponotus colonies.
I pull this from my own 25 years experience dealing with inverts, INCLUDING ants. For someone who (obviously) doesn´t know what they are doing, it will be easier for them to locae intire colonies in the winter and easier to collect as well. During the winter, they have all their brood, queen (or queens) in the same chambers instead of scattered all over the place. They also are severely slowed down due to the cold temps and are easy to collect... don´t bite... don´t run around like crazy.

Also, as for camponotus, most fly during mid and late summer... by fall, the queens have settled down under logs or inside logs and have laid. By winter, they are in the same position. By spring, they have their first workers and are expanding on their nest, adding tunnels and whatnot. By summer, they have a maze.

Go back and read my post.... I never said when queens fly.... The only claim I made was when he can easiest find QUEENS with EGGS. I do not know how you made a connection that I was saying nuptial flights happen in the fall and winter.... That is just silly.

I bet you I have much more experience with ants than you do...

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I pull this from my own 25 years experience dealing with inverts, INCLUDING ants. For someone who (obviously) doesn´t know what they are doing, it will be easier for them to locae intire colonies in the winter and easier to collect as well. During the winter, they have all their brood, queen (or queens) in the same chambers instead of scattered all over the place. They also are severely slowed down due to the cold temps and are easy to collect... don´t bite... don´t run around like crazy.

Also, as for camponotus, most fly during mid and late summer... by fall, the queens have settled down under logs or inside logs and have laid. By winter, they are in the same position. By spring, they have their first workers and are expanding on their nest, adding tunnels and whatnot. By summer, they have a maze.

Go back and read my post.... I never said when queens fly.... The only claim I made was when he can easiest find QUEENS with EGGS. I do not know how you made a connection that I was saying nuptial flights happen in the fall and winter.... That is just silly.

I bet you I have much more experience with ants than you do...
I wonder... can I use a portable vac to suck up the whole colony quickly? Or will this kill them? I keep finding colonies already settled but as soon as I uncover the egg chamber a SWARM of ants are already in there like thousands and I Can't even tell the queen because it's like too many things to focus my eye on.

Is there a way to kinda dull their senses down when they're in a nest? kinda like how they do with bees?

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have used a portable vac in australia to collect myrmecia ants. I had to modify the tip, but it worked very well. This is definitely a possibility. When you uncover these chambers with brood and workers, there is not always a queen present. And if she is present, she usually will immediately head down the tunnels away from danger... so you must act very quickly. Good luck in capturing yourself a new colony.

josh

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have used a portable vac in australia to collect myrmecia ants. I had to modify the tip, but it worked very well. This is definitely a possibility. When you uncover these chambers with brood and workers, there is not always a queen present. And if she is present, she usually will immediately head down the tunnels away from danger... so you must act very quickly. Good luck in capturing yourself a new colony.

josh
I kinda wonder what things would make the ants feel like and pardon my language but um "high as a bird" lol(no I don't do drugs but I know of the sensation due to medical reasons lol).

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Im not sure where your located but I have allways seen C. penn and C. amaricanus (sp?) flying late spring early summer. Not to mention this great source, albeit a hobbyists census more than anything, many of these species have been noted for 5+ years. I posted the 2012 Nuptial Flight Calendar from the Antfarm on this page http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?247731-Hello-again!-Ant-questions-once-more!/page3.

I'm not saying your wrong, part of it might be local, different species, what ever. I guess I got confused or more than likely I did not complete my train of thought, my bad. I understand what your saying about locating queens in the winter, they are less active, which would make it easier to locate and collect. I'm not here to get into a mud throwing match over who knows more than who. I disagree that collecting in winter is a good Idea, I prefer to limit tearing apart wood unless its old firewood. When I do collect, I feel in the middle of summer would be best.

If you break open a colony and fail to locate every one, in the middle of winter, you could destroy that nest. With who knows how many of the workers left exposed, and possibly the queen left in the cold; who knows if that colony will survive? On the other hand you might run into a developed colony, and cause some serious damage to that nest possibly killing the queen. While in the middle of the summer, however, the colony still has a chance to produce another batch of brood should some one break into the nest. Plus the likely hood they would survive through the next winter is increased. Since they still have a chance to regroup and try and recover. This all still has the same risk of the queen getting killed. I've never had an issue handling a first or second year nest, in the middle of summer. Its often easy to isolate the workers and brood if you work sections at a time and stay aware of whats moving around and keeping an eye out for the queen. Maybe I was always lucky and located the queen fairly quickly.

I guess this is why I advocate only catching alates. Not that one or two people are going to damage the ant ecosystem, and local population; but why meddle? Regardless, this is personal opinion. Were trying to help this guy started with his first colony. Allot of it is impatience on his part, but I fail to see how who has more experience is particularly relevant? All were talking about is breaking open logs to look for ant reproductives. Allot of it has to do where hes looking and what kind of logs as well.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I caught large queens camponotus pennsylvicus!!! They were in one of the logs I had found. I found like 8 of them together. All with wings though but their tuckuses are actually big. Are these pregnant or none? I put one with the male I caught the other day

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So you found just 8 C. penn queens alone with wings? Probably not, but ill wait for your responce.

You will be hard pressed to get that queen to mate with that male, good luck.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I caught large queens camponotus pennsylvicus!!! They were in one of the logs I had found. I found like 8 of them together. All with wings though but their tuckuses are actually big. Are these pregnant or none? I put one with the male I caught the other day
Sounds like a satellite colony.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Im not sure where your located but I have allways seen C. penn and C. amaricanus (sp?) flying late spring early summer. Not to mention this great source, albeit a hobbyists census more than anything, many of these species have been noted for 5+ years. I posted the 2012 Nuptial Flight Calendar from the Antfarm on this page http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?247731-Hello-again!-Ant-questions-once-more!/page3.

I'm not saying your wrong, part of it might be local, different species, what ever. I guess I got confused or more than likely I did not complete my train of thought, my bad. I understand what your saying about locating queens in the winter, they are less active, which would make it easier to locate and collect. I'm not here to get into a mud throwing match over who knows more than who. I disagree that collecting in winter is a good Idea, I prefer to limit tearing apart wood unless its old firewood. When I do collect, I feel in the middle of summer would be best.

If you break open a colony and fail to locate every one, in the middle of winter, you could destroy that nest. With who knows how many of the workers left exposed, and possibly the queen left in the cold; who knows if that colony will survive? On the other hand you might run into a developed colony, and cause some serious damage to that nest possibly killing the queen. While in the middle of the summer, however, the colony still has a chance to produce another batch of brood should some one break into the nest. Plus the likely hood they would survive through the next winter is increased. Since they still have a chance to regroup and try and recover. This all still has the same risk of the queen getting killed. I've never had an issue handling a first or second year nest, in the middle of summer. Its often easy to isolate the workers and brood if you work sections at a time and stay aware of whats moving around and keeping an eye out for the queen. Maybe I was always lucky and located the queen fairly quickly.

I guess this is why I advocate only catching alates. Not that one or two people are going to damage the ant ecosystem, and local population; but why meddle? Regardless, this is personal opinion. Were trying to help this guy started with his first colony. Allot of it is impatience on his part, but I fail to see how who has more experience is particularly relevant? All were talking about is breaking open logs to look for ant reproductives. Allot of it has to do where hes looking and what kind of logs as well.
I do agree with you on many things here, but you have to understand we are talking about someone who has very limited knowledge on the subject. I simply stated the EAIEST way to locate a complete colony and be able to catch them all. It is FAR easier to capture an entire colony during the winter than in the summer. I have done both and prefer winter. Either way, they are still going to be isolated within a log or stump. During the summer months, brood production is high, the ants are active and will either aggressively defent the nest or frantically collect brood and run away.... to who knows where. The queen will also frantically run and hide. During winter months, brood numbers will be down, the ants will not be able to attack or run and hide. the queen will not be able to run and hide. any brood will not be taken and hidden. You stand a better chance at collecting an entire colony during the colder months.

If you collect during the summer, many ants may carry brood off before you can collect them. Once you collect the queen, what brood you get, and what workers you get... You are leaving many workers and brood 'homeless'.... if that makes any sense to you... these ants and brood don´t stand a chance without the colony and queen....

as for finding lone queens during the fall and wintter months, many times, i don´t even have to tear open a log or stump to find them. I often find them underneath the logs or stumps... even rocks... and many times they have eggs. This prevents having to tear apart anything. But alas.... there is something missing here.... As you said earlier, patience is missing here.

So, you must look at this from a beginners point of view and what will be easier.... This person is obviously determined to get a colony one way or another and will not stop until the mission is a success.

As for the "who knows more" comment.... that was a reaction to your initial post to me.... It seemed like you were being cocky toward me and I just typed what my emotions felt at the time. Probably a little bit of an over reaction on my part. My apologies. I probably just misunderstood your intention as it is only a post with no emotion involved.

---------- Post added 05-28-2013 at 01:57 PM ----------

My best advice to you would be this...

Stop investing time in trying to locate a colony or a queen at this time. It would be better to invest your time getting properly set up for the colony or queen you will later aquire. Get a nest built. get some test tubes ready to go. get an outworld built. Be sure you have your ducks in a row before you collect your first colony/ queen. Then, when you are prepared to properly house them, start your journey into capturing your colony/ queen. Patience is very important here. the ants will not breed just because you want them to at this moment. they do their nuptials when the timing and condidtions are just right. You have already found virgin queens ready for nuptials.... give them a little more time... within a month or so, they will be EVERYWHERE!!!! And you will get sick of seeing them. I would hold off on trying to extract a complete colony from a log until you have built up a bit more knowledge on their husbandry, biology, proper extraction techniques, etc.....

I understand the excitement and the desire to have it now, but you will have greater success with patience and planning ahead.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I do agree with you on many things here, but you have to understand we are talking about someone who has very limited knowledge on the subject. I simply stated the EAIEST way to locate a complete colony and be able to catch them all. It is FAR easier to capture an entire colony during the winter than in the summer. I have done both and prefer winter. Either way, they are still going to be isolated within a log or stump. During the summer months, brood production is high, the ants are active and will either aggressively defent the nest or frantically collect brood and run away.... to who knows where. The queen will also frantically run and hide. During winter months, brood numbers will be down, the ants will not be able to attack or run and hide. the queen will not be able to run and hide. any brood will not be taken and hidden. You stand a better chance at collecting an entire colony during the colder months.

If you collect during the summer, many ants may carry brood off before you can collect them. Once you collect the queen, what brood you get, and what workers you get... You are leaving many workers and brood 'homeless'.... if that makes any sense to you... these ants and brood don´t stand a chance without the colony and queen....

as for finding lone queens during the fall and wintter months, many times, i don´t even have to tear open a log or stump to find them. I often find them underneath the logs or stumps... even rocks... and many times they have eggs. This prevents having to tear apart anything. But alas.... there is something missing here.... As you said earlier, patience is missing here.

So, you must look at this from a beginners point of view and what will be easier.... This person is obviously determined to get a colony one way or another and will not stop until the mission is a success.

As for the "who knows more" comment.... that was a reaction to your initial post to me.... It seemed like you were being cocky toward me and I just typed what my emotions felt at the time. Probably a little bit of an over reaction on my part. My apologies. I probably just misunderstood your intention as it is only a post with no emotion involved.

---------- Post added 05-28-2013 at 01:57 PM ----------

My best advice to you would be this...

Stop investing time in trying to locate a colony or a queen at this time. It would be better to invest your time getting properly set up for the colony or queen you will later aquire. Get a nest built. get some test tubes ready to go. get an outworld built. Be sure you have your ducks in a row before you collect your first colony/ queen. Then, when you are prepared to properly house them, start your journey into capturing your colony/ queen. Patience is very important here. the ants will not breed just because you want them to at this moment. they do their nuptials when the timing and condidtions are just right. You have already found virgin queens ready for nuptials.... give them a little more time... within a month or so, they will be EVERYWHERE!!!! And you will get sick of seeing them. I would hold off on trying to extract a complete colony from a log until you have built up a bit more knowledge on their husbandry, biology, proper extraction techniques, etc.....

I understand the excitement and the desire to have it now, but you will have greater success with patience and planning ahead.
actually I never see queens at any point of time around my house period. I'd have to pick a specific day(s) to go to the woods or forest, swamplands or whatever to look for nests. If it's true what you say I can finally calm down without the fear that I keep hearing "once summers over you're foogled over and won't be able to find another till next year" which sucks cause I was patient last year and never found a thing D; I'm sorry for being impatient. I'm actually trying to decide on the nesting types. I'm thinking I might set up a large nest with a few "satellites" prepared. As long as the queen stays in the main nest I'm fine. I'd be somewhat annoyed to not find her there though i'd get over it eventually. xD I did find the queens so I'm going to release the majority of them but keeping atleast 2 to preserve I provided them a home outside for them to nest and I'm leaving food -near- the nest so that the workers that are with them feed them till the time is near.