New person with a question

jd_starcat

Arachnopeon
Hi, I'm new here and I have some questions.

I've been thinking of getting a tarantula for quiet some time now, but I'm still not entirely sure about it. I'm terrified of spiders. I can't even stand the sight of them, and even a picture of one will give me the heebie jeebies.

I want to get over this fear, and I thought keeping one as a pet might help. I was really set on getting one, but the more research I did, and the more I read about bites and stuff, the less I wanted one.

I've read that if you're afraid of being bitten then you shouldn't handle them. But what if, for some reason or another, you have to pick them up? How do you get over the fear that you might get bitten?

I really want a T, but I'm so terrified of bites, that if something happened and I had to pick it up, I don't think I'd be able to.

Conan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well to be scared of a bite is normal. But to be so terrefied of them that you cant stand the sight of them doesnt make the situation promising. you have to care for the spider every day-and this includes reaching into the cage (with tweezers if you have them) and feeding them. You can get a species that is generally docile but then again every tarantula is different. You can get a species that is supposed to be the sweetest thing and it will threat you every time you walk into the room. IMO it isnt the best thing to put the safety of a spider in the way because you want to get over a fear-join fear factor and have them pour hissing cockroaches all over your body. I dont think you would be scared of much after that...then i would reccomend a tarantula for you.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You don't *have* to pick up a tarantula. They have no need for human contact (other than for you to toss a few crickets in the tank occasionally and make sure they have water).

Pofecks

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Maybe you could catch a small house spider or something and put it in a mason jar to get used to the feeling. Just a thought :)

Spydra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I totally agree with Becca..you dont have to handle a tarantula, there are ways to make it possible to keep a tarantula and properly take care it without actually holding it. I use the 2 liter bottle method when I need to move a tarantula.

Do LOTS of research and read..read..read. There are several very good beginner species, but as Conan stated, just because it is supposed to be "docile" doesn't make it so. Maybe find out who on the boards that possibly lives by you and meet them. That way you have someone to actually speak with "in person" and help you feel comfortable being around them before you actually buy one. I had The Red Queen, Amanda (who is now in Canada :( ) that helped me out ALOT when I started my collection. Now I have KJE (Kelly) who lives 30 mins. from my house and we sometimes get together when I have to move some of my more "defensive" species, like my P. regalis.

Renee

greenbay1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Welcome to the boards. I too was afraid of spiders and I worked with reptiles, especially snakes, for many years. My wife overcame her fear of snakes that way. I decided to overcome my fear of spiders and started to visit a shop that specializes in tarantulas and reptiles. I purchased a calm adult with the assistance of the owner and began taking care of her. I now work only with Ts. After several years I have a small collection and have begun breeding. Do your research. Ask questions. Read. They are fascinating creatures. Good luck. :)

jd_starcat

Arachnopeon
I like the idea of using something to move them with, like getting them into a tupperware container or something. I'm not worried about sticking my hands into their inclosure to clean or change their water or something. As long as I had tweasers or something to put the spider in while I messed with stuff.

The idea of having one doesn't bother me at all. I really want one. And they are kinda cute, once you get past the fact that they have 8 legs and large fangs. I suppose it was the invironment I was raised in that gave me my fear. I grew up watching my mom have near heart attacks at the mere mention of a spider. So the idea that spiders=bad was burned into my head at a very young age.

The more I read about Ts though, the more interested I am, and the more I find myself thinking they don't look as creepy as I thought.. except when they're in a threatening pose. Then they're pretty creepy looking.

Am I correct in thinking that it'd be best to get one while its still a spiderling, so you'd both have a better chance of growing accustom to each other?

Seink

Arachnopeon
Hi, welcome to the forum

Hi, I know this is probably what you dont want to hear, but i think someone should mention this.

I want to get over this fear, and I thought keeping one as a pet might help. I was really set on getting one, but the more research I did, and the more I read about bites and stuff, the less I wanted one.
It is good to hear that u want to get a T to get away ur spider fears. However, Ts have long life-span (10+ yrs) and they require quite a lot of care(humidity,temp,molting...etc...). If u overcame ur spider fears during the first yr, then u have no motivation to keep it.

I've read that if you're afraid of being bitten then you shouldn't handle them. But what if, for some reason or another, you have to pick them up? How do you get over the fear that you might get bitten?
Technically, you can go around this problem by handling it only when necessary(change substrate, clean tank....) and u can also wear plastic gloves.

However, the big concern is that spiders have a vulnerable abdomen and if u drop it at a relatively short height u may still smash the abdomen so i think that is something u should consider.U may easily freak out if u r scared.

I suppose it was the invironment I was raised in that gave me my fear. I grew up watching my mom have near heart attacks at the mere mention of a spider. So the idea that spiders=bad was burned into my head at a very young age.
Also, if your mum is so paranoid then i dont think u should get a T. Ts have long life-span and u should consider about the rest of your family cause,if everything goes well, u can stuck with the T for a very long time.

Am I correct in thinking that it'd be best to get one while its still a spiderling, so you'd both have a better chance of growing accustom to each other?
I would think that sub-adult beginner Ts are better for amateurs but if u know your facts you can get a spiderling.Ts are very quiet pets. U put them in the terrarium and u only watch them grow/feed for 10+ yrs unless u want to handle them. From what i have read i dont think u would handle them so dont get the wrong idea that u can "do" a lot of stuff with a T.

Sorry for the negativity, just hope that you think it through if u want to get a T.

Imegnixs_Cinder

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
jd_starcat I too used to be terrified of spiders, even little house spiders. There is an old saying about being scared of something because you don't understand it, so I got a tarantula and learned as much about them as I could and found them so fascinating that my fear soon faded into almost nothing, so yes it can work as a very good way to overcome your fear.
I would suggest tho reading as much about them as you can first to see which species will suit you best. Good luck :)

jd_starcat

Arachnopeon
I've been doing a lot of research, and I've had second thoughts. But I think I'd be ok to have one. As long as I had ways to move them without having to come in direct contact with them. Its not the spiders themselves that scare me, its those huge fangs they have.

I findd this funny since snakes also have huge fangs, but I'm less afraid of snakes than I am spiders. Go figure.

Seink, I'm not worried about my mom, I don't live anywhere near her. But that doesn't mean I won't live near her again if my husband and I ever move. But it'll be ok since I'd be smart enough never to randomly bring her near my spider. As long as its in a case in another part of the house, it should be ok.

My biggest worry is my two year old, spoild rotten daughter. I'd have to keep the T somewhere where she can't get to it. But that shouldn't be too hard.

Beeker

Arachnopeon
im scared of spiders big ones especially but i now own about 3-4 T's and they are all around an inch or two but iv'e got to see how they've acted to me so far and how fast/slow they are and agressive/definsive as well. It has given me a pretty good idea of how they react to things once they get bigger im sure it will get more interesting as i move them but im just planning on doing bottle to container method or something like that.

my frist T was a green bottle blue. I have never held any of my T's don't plan too for my sake and the T's sake but they make for very cool display spiders and the green bottle eats like a pig seriously. T's are cool as long as you understand that they can bite and you respect their space and watch them when doing cleaning and what not so you don't get supprised.

peace
kyle

Imegnixs_Cinder

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
starcat you really shouldnt ever have to handle them. I too have a small child what I do is use the small glass fish tanks available in most pet stores they come with a plastic lid which you can make holes in for ventalation then I tape down the sides of the lid to the glass so even if mine climb they can't push the lid off and escape.
I used to use a washed out plastic plant pot as a hide for my taras the type without holes in the bottom, then if I had to remove one for cleaning or rehousing I would simply wait for them to be in their hide then place a plastic CD case over the opening trapping the T inside and carefully move the whole thing. This also works pretty well if your T is more agressive and you want to block him in while you do some simple maintenence in the tank.
The only problem I found with the plant pots is shedding, they would shed inside the plant pot which not only ment I didn't get to watch, it also made it very hard to retrive the old skin so I stopped using them, but if I did need to move them for any reason I would put a pot back in and wait.
Hope thats some help :)

P.S I tape them down not from my fear but my husbands, he says he will move out if ever one escapes lol.

Last edited:

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would suggest getting something easily available for not much money at a local pet store such as Grammastola rosea.
Nice colors, medium sized tarantula, and not exceedingly fast movers... this is an ideal first T.

As for getting one as a sling instead of an adult, there is no need to unless you feel YOU will adjust better to a small spider.
It will not get accustomed to you no matter what age the spider is - it will merely respond out of instinct. They are large, they are cute, they are fascinating but they are not pets like a dog or cat might be.

As for your 2 yr old... I have one as well, in addition to a 5 yr old.
I make sure that my bugs are out of reach of the little one, and that the book shelves I have my collection on are secured to the wall using brackets (with plugs, of course). This way, even if they decided to try and climb the structure it would not fall on top of them.

Which BTW, is a good idea even if you don't have spiders and snakes on your shelves. Many kids have been injured by having a large piece of furniture fall on top of them.

Good luck!

king7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
if i was you id get one,sounds like you really want one and not just to get over your fear :)

also sounds like you have done your research,keep reading theses forums and im sure you will find all the info you need.

good luck and let us know how you get on :)

rwfoss

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
jd,

First off, welcome.

As you've read, many people here (including myself) were, at one point, afraid of spiders. I was always interested in them, but couldn't look at them without my skin crawling. THE way to get over an irrational fear (phobia) is...

DE-SENSATIZATION.

1. Look at tarantulas every day, several times a day. Go to websites that have a lot of pictures. Study them.

2. As others have mentioned, read about them. The more you learn about them, the more interesting (and thus, less creepy) they become.

3. Then get yourself around them. Go to pet stores that have them. Find some T owners in your area, introduce yourself, and ask them to show you their collection. (I did this and it was great!) When my wife was working on getting over her intense fear of spiders, one of our local pet shops spent 30 minutes taking different tarantulas out of their tanks so that she could get closer.

4. Then, having one in your house that you can see everyday will help. I agree with the suggestions about a simple and inexpensive T, such as the Grammostola rosea (Chilean Rose Hair).

Good Luck!

Rick

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
jd_starcat said:
Hi, I'm new here and I have some questions.

I've been thinking of getting a tarantula for quiet some time now, but I'm still not entirely sure about it. I'm terrified of spiders. I can't even stand the sight of them, and even a picture of one will give me the heebie jeebies.

I really want a T, but I'm so terrified of bites, that if something happened and I had to pick it up, I don't think I'd be able to.
Hi, I think you should buy a Grammostola rosea, or a Brachypelma albopilosa. They are slowmoving and calm creatures, and very nice!. Perhaps a small female so you can get used to it as it grows.! And you will see that your scareness is absolutly unnessesary and how intresting and beutiful spiders are.! CHEERS!!!///Johan

cloud711

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
buy 1 of the beginner species like g rosea. they are very docile and sometimes will make you wanna hold them. my advice is to just take it slow. you dont have to hold them if you dont want to. sometimes not holding them is the best thing for both you and the t. :)

jd_starcat

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the replies and advice, guys. I don't think I'd ever /want/ to hold one, but I thought I'd ask, just incase something happened. I've heard of them getting infested with mites or getting caught on things, and sometimes people have had to pick them up in order to help them.

I may not be a spider person, but if it was a pet, I'd want to do anything I could to keep it safe and help it if I had to. The more I read about them, the more I want one. They are kinda cute, aren't they?

I've been on the lookout for house spiders. I'm thinking of catching the next one I find and keeping it for a bit, just to get used to the idea of having one. If I ever catch one, I'll try to get my digital camera installed to take a pic of it.

cloud711

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you can use a 11 inch rubber tip forcep as a tool to help you clean out the tank or maybe even move small things. for mites: just keep your substrate dry(sometimes you need to mist the substrate. but do not mist it too much. this depends on the species. g rosea likes it dry.) remove dead prey and the remains of insects you feed to the t. this is where the forceps become very useful. keep your tank well ventilated. im not an expert on this hobby but these are some of the basic advice i can give you base on my experience. :)

Whiskeypunk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My attitude is just to do it. If it bothers you that much, you can always sell it to someone on the forums.

I agree, post your location and see if someone on the boards is near you and willing to show off their pets.

My personal recommendation is that you order the 3 inch Grammastola Aureostriata from here http://www.southernspiderworks.com/InvenList.aspx for 35 dollars. This is my personal choice as you get a spider that starts off small enough to be managable, and will grow to a moderately large size, is extremely docile, and if female, will live for 20 years. If it's male you can ship it off for breeding and recieve a couple spiderlings to raise.

From what I've heard G. Rosea can be a little more wild, and sometimes (uncommonly) even defensive.