New P. Metallica

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
And that is one reason poecs are tricky, people can get too comfortable around them, and that could lead to problems...
Yes, but that statement, as you know, suits not only the OW's T's (masters to let keepers fall into a false sense of security) but all T's.

Including the supposed "docile" (muahahah, doesn't exist "docile" Theraphosidae, period. They are wild, untamed animals) ones. I have a 'Chaco', 0.1, rescued from a weed/drug addicted punk, that (probably due to that drug previous environment, lol) is high strung, more than my Baboons if that's possible. But G.pulchripes, aren't of course high strung T's, now.
Single specimen temperament enters. 'Pokies', on that, in general, are "run & hide" T's IMO. P.muticus, hiss and fight. So forth.

If you are always 101% careful, nothing bad will happens of course. But i like "challenge".

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A challenge you say!

I have packed and shipped pretty much all they crazy T´s mentioned in here, and i dont see the bite risk is increased if you have a T who you know will "fight" or a T that are "run and hide". You are typically more alert with the crazy one, wich means you can get overly confident with the "shy" ones. The risk is allways there, especcially if you breed them and deal with many T´s on a daily basis. I have made my share of blunders, and also handled pretty much all of them years ago, but i am lucky not to have been tagged by other than a Avicularia versicolor....
But if people have the experience i think they should keep the T´s that interest them the most, otherwise you can not withhold your passion for the hobby.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
A challenge you say!

I have packed and shipped pretty much all they crazy T´s mentioned in here, and i dont see the bite risk is increased if you have a T who you know will "fight" or a T that are "run and hide". You are typically more alert with the crazy one, wich means you can get overly confident with the "shy" ones. The risk is allways there, especcially if you breed them and deal with many T´s on a daily basis. I have made my share of blunders, and also handled pretty much all of them years ago, but i am lucky not to have been tagged by other than a Avicularia versicolor....
But if people have the experience i think they should keep the T´s that interest them the most, otherwise you can not withhold your passion for the hobby.
Man, i don't disagree with you or with what you said now. You are right. I was talking about "working" (feeding, cleaning, watering... normal routine) with T's, those T's, when/once they are fully settled in their enclosures.

As i've said, starting to a (the minimum) always focused, 100% attention level, 'Pokies' aren't that "bad" to work with, definitely not like the average comments depict those... while certain arboreals, are (again IMO) more high strung.

With that said, i have yet to see a Poecilotheria throwing a hissing tantrum like a crazy choosy children, like a 0.1 P.muticus out of her burrow :)

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
With that said, i have yet to see a Poecilotheria throwing a hissing tantrum like a crazy choosy children, like a 0.1 P.muticus out of her burrow :)
I would like to be there to witness it the day that should happen here;-)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I would like to be there to witness it the day that should happen here;-)
The Goddess of T's, 0.1 P.muticus, IMO is the ultimate defensive Theraphosidae. No one is like her. They would bite the face of a Bulldog without issues. Hissing. I love 0.1 giant P.muticus, scavenge those from their burrow unleash that pure, pre-wheel invention time, African rage :)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Not P.ornata?

Not mine, which are the dark blue form. They're no different than regalis or fasciata as far as defensiveness. Ornata's temper is with other spiders, not people, as Ornata's the most cannibalistic Poec by far. They can start killing each other at 2nd instar.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
So you dont consider poecilotheria real asian arboreals, can you elaborate a little bit on that?

Besides that, i am not disagreeing on this, there are alot more highstrung arboreals out there, and you have mentioned some..

Poecilotheria ARE real Asian arboreals, it's the biggest genus of arboreals besides Avicularia.

All of the other Asian/African arboreal genera I've had are definitely more unpredictable and high strung. As subadults/adults, Poecs seem to rely on their cryptic markings and colors, and usually prefer to remain motionless, rather than panic and run. That's also why Poecs prefer not to stand up and give warnings unless provoked (overreacting can get them killed, when a predator may not have otherwise seen them). But make no mistake, their bite doesn't require a warning, just like a cobra doesn't have to hood to bite. What's most impressive with Poecs and cobras, isn't their warnings, but that they can make intruders sorry they ever got close.

cold blood

Staff member
i have yet to see a Poecilotheria throwing a hissing tantrum like a crazy choosy children, like a 0.1 P.muticus out of her burrow :)
No, a pokie won't "warn" you first. :astonished: I think the ones that get ornery right off the bat are the easier ones sometimes, its those ones that always seem calm and still for so many times you think it will always be that way, then one day, bam:eek:...oops:nurse::nurse:...a warning would have been nice.o_O

P. muticus is pretty darn awesome though.:D

Not mine, which are the dark blue form. They're no different than regalis or fasciata as far as defensiveness. Ornata's temper is with other spiders, not people, as Ornata's the most cannibalistic Poec by far. They can start killing each other at 2nd instar.
My ornata's not any more high strung than any others I have either I don't have formosa, either). The most irritating one I have is the vitatta....she always goes toward the opening at some point.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Poecilotheria ARE real Asian arboreals, it's the biggest genus of arboreals besides Avicularia.

All of the other Asian/African arboreal genera I've had are definitely more unpredictable and high strung. As subadults/adults, Poecs seem to rely on their cryptic markings and colors, and usually prefer to remain motionless, rather than panic and run. That's also why Poecs prefer not to stand up and give warnings unless provoked (overreacting can get them killed, when a predator may not have otherwise seen them). But make no mistake, their bite doesn't require a warning, just like a cobra doesn't have to hood to bite. What's most impressive with Poecs and cobras, isn't their warnings, but that they can make intruders sorry they ever got close.

Only difference here is the danger of a bite and also how good a cobra looks when they hood. I have the luxury to work with kingcobras once in a while when i visit my wifes country...Great snakes. I plan to visit "poecilotheria land" in the future aswell. Only haplopelma and some true spiders so far i have found in nature so far. oh, and moved 2 kings from the rice field;)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I feed my tarantulas once a week. Even the little dudes. I use their abdomen as an indicator of their health and status. I feel like feeding them twice a week is too much. I believe for a one inch spider, two one or two week crickets will probably do. I sometimes misjudge and overfeed. Then I usually skip a feeding. If they're not hungry, I crush the heads of the crickets and recheck a day later. I've been in the hobby since July of last year and I've got about 20 ts, a few hots.

Be very careful, Z! My first T was a .25 curly hair sling, then a 1.5 inch brocklehursti, then a GBB sling. . I didn't get an advanced T until I was 4 spiders in. Ive got 4 Obts, a Heteroscodra maculata, and a Poecilotheria rufilata.
once a week is fine, even a little too much for adult terrestrials. slings can be fed as much as you want. you cant overfeed a sling, they put all that weight into molting, adults dont as much so they shouldnt be fed as much. with your experience i woudlnt recommend a OW for another year, 4 spiders in means nothing if you bought them all within a few months of each other. good luck and cool collection.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Wow I wish this thread would keep its intended purpose, to talk about T slings and the best thing to do for them. Thankfully no one has attacked me directly like some did initially in this thread. I was treated unfairly way back when on this thread and appreciate those who defend me but wish that no one, how ever experienced or new they may be, attack when it serves no purpose.
So I tried to feed again the sling, it is very possible that the crickets are too big. I just assumed it could eat bigger crickets being a kick ass T. I have some smaller crickets in with the bunch but getting them for the T without killing the cricket before hand. I really don't think my T will go for pre-killed prey but who's to say. He has been in my care for about 3.5 weeks and I would think he would be closed to molting although there is hardly any webbing per se in his enclosure. Plus I disturbed some :( when I was trying to get the cricket out a day later. That's why I'd really like it if the sling would just eat the cricket and I wouldn't have to disturb the enclosure!

Z
this is about p metallica sling care, thats been answered and now people are just talking and debating like people often do. i think everyone was pretty nice in their responses except one person. no one really attacked you tbh. pre killed criks are fine. it doesnt matter if its a defensive/ highly venomous species, it cant overpower giant criks. you have to disturb the cage once in a while, spot cleaning, feeding, water dish refilling, it happens, dont worry. i would ask again for a pic to be uploaded of your set up however.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
No, a pokie won't "warn" you first.
Sorry. I was talking about that "fight club" gladiator style attitude. The hissing of a 0.1 P.muticus (again, i use always the 'Ladies', since those big girls are more defensive in general than 1.0 or, obviously, slings) isn't always a warning advice. Had seen mine deliver two/three bites in less than 5 seconds after not even 1 second that hiss.

Poecilotheria attacks like ninjas using their teleport speed. But still they don't love to stand and put a duel unlike those African monsters (again, in general... everything can happen at the end).

The only reason why nothing bad happened mostly with those African beasts probably is because those are keeped in "final" enclosures, under lots of dirt. It's only when "you" have (for a sell, a trade etc) to take those girls out of their burrow that you can notice that, their incredible no fear at all, defensive reaction.
This, and the facts that, unlike 'OBT's', those girls aren't cheap nor easy to breed, plus hardcore pet holes (not everyone loves those).

Just me, absolutely loving more 15 minutes threat display T's ah ah than others. Nothing when it comes to T's is like a pissed off rusty-terracotta beast IMO :angelic:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Who would not appreciate p rufilata! It would be a sin not to.....
For some reason they are not that common here in the USA compared to other Poki's. I've always thought their colors were prettiest after P. metallica.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I love my rufilata. If she'd grow. a 1 inch sling who won't eat and won't molt - after 3 months. I want a giant 8 to 9 inch rufliata. Not one who I'm worried is going to die from not eating! My other regalis suffers the same problem. In the time it took her to molt once, her sister molted twice.

Felidae

Arachnosquire
From all of my Asian aboreals, my pokies are the most layed back ones. I don't own the real terminators, like ornata, but got 6 P. metallica, 2 P. regalis, 3 P. miranda and 3 P. sp "Lowland" (or Bara or subfusca lowland, how we call them nowadays). Most of the times, the big ones run and hide, the small ones running laps in photon speed in case of disturbance.

The main problem with them, that sometimes they change their minds. Maybe you get used to their habits in six months, and one day suddenly they're defensive or feeding aggressive. You get threat pose instead of running, and jumping out to your clamps or your body instead of hiding. The next day they'll use the run & hide method again.
You're more careful with a violaceopes or nigerrimum, cause they almost always high strung. That's dangerous with pokies, cause you believe you know them, but one day when you'll really know them maybe will too late.
I believe that some keepers never ready for OW aboreals and some are ok with them from the beginning. Lots of factors playing role in this.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
For some reason they are not that common here in the USA compared to other Poki's. I've always thought their colors were prettiest after P. metallica.
They are less common overhere aswell. Before they were easy to get, now they are difficult to get. I got a sac from my big female last year, but the day i checked up on here, she was laying the sac...Needless to say she ate it. Since then i have had to buy 5 slings and now i feed them up, hopefully they will turn out 2.3. They are in 4. molt now. I have 1 big female only. I was also lucky i got those 5, only because i knew sellar. If things works out and i will get offspring on them i can ship some to you guys. It is just that many times americans try to buy my offspring they give me ridicouless offers wich i turn down, so we will see....

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The main problem with them, that sometimes they change their minds. Maybe you get used to their habits in six months, and one day suddenly they're defensive or feeding aggressive. You get threat pose instead of running, and jumping out to your clamps or your body instead of hiding. The next day they'll use the run & hide method again.
You're more careful with a violaceopes or nigerrimum, cause they almost always high strung. That's dangerous with pokies, cause you believe you know them, but one day when you'll really know them maybe will too late.
I believe that some keepers never ready for OW aboreals and some are ok with them from the beginning. Lots of factors playing role in this.

Well said. When you get complacent with fast/defensive species, you get escapes or bites. To them, we're never a caretaker, we're always an intruder and up to no good. That's how they're managed to survive in the wild for thousands of years.

Mauri

Arachnoknight
From all of my Asian aboreals, my pokies are the most layed back ones. I don't own the real terminators, like ornata, but got 6 P. metallica, 2 P. regalis, 3 P. miranda and 3 P. sp "Lowland" (or Bara or subfusca lowland, how we call them nowadays). Most of the times, the big ones run and hide, the small ones running laps in photon speed in case of disturbance.

Yep good points. Am a relative newcomer. (1 month in) and I dont see any issue in getting some poeci slings or even a juvenile. Am undecided at the moment, discussing it with a friend on youtube (he has ten poecis and says be carefull).

As I have a lovely acrylic enclosure something like a P.Metallica will do it justice...actually the only issue is cost at the moment. A young female p.metallica is def more expensive here in the Uk than a versi etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.