New owner and need a bit of info...

GemAC85

Arachnopeon
Hi. I recently got Topsy, a Chilean Rose and as shes my first tarantula im not sure if everything is as it should be. She was fine being handled in the shop but shes super jumpy for me so i havent tried to get her out. She doesnt move, at all... just sits in the same spot all day long and shes quite curled up. Ill put a couple of pictures on for you too see but im just wondering if its because shes new and getting used to her new surroundings or if i need to do anything.
Thanks
Gem (and Tospy!) 20160209_112828.jpg 20160209_112850.jpg

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
You should definitely change that substrate from coco husk to eco earth or coco soil without chunks of wood in it. Grammostola rosea is a pet rock and will not move a lot, but it shouldn´t be situated like this all day long.

GemAC85

Arachnopeon
Thanks... the place i bought her from put that in and said it would be fine but i had been looking at changing it as i hadnt seen any other T's with that substrate in

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Townes is right. Another thing that you shouldn't at all use (but especially take into consideration) are the "humidity/heat" gauges.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
There are a few things I'm noticing that I would change.
The substrate, like Townes said
Is that a heatlamp I see in pic 1? If so, you can get rid of it,the spider doesn't need it.
It also needs a hide,not sure if it is already present.
I will not go into the handling discussion,but it's best to leave the T alone (AFTER you made the changes to the enclosure), for at least a week after purchase. Just keep the waterdish full, and let it adapt to its new home in peace.

Sticky about G.rosea:
Chilean rose owners please read: how to really take care of your G. rosea. | Arachnoboards

GemAC85

Arachnopeon
It doesnt have a heat lamp and i just got a hide this morning. They told me to use thr humidity gauge but should i take that out?
Thanks for your advice :)

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
It doesnt have a heat lamp and i just got a hide this morning. They told me to use thr humidity gauge but should i take that out?
Thanks for your advice :)
A hygrometer will not hurt the tarantula of course, but it might cause yourself unnecessary stress over humidity. If you read care sheets they often state that such a species needs such and such levels of humidity, and this causes a lot of newbies a lot of stress. Keeping tarantulas is not an exact science and a hygrometer is not something you need. Just beware that Grammostola rosea needs to be kept on a really dry substrate with a water dish.

matypants

Arachnopeon
I remember ( and it hasn't been that long ago for me at all, summer 2015 ) being a new owner of my Chilean rose, "Petunia". I too have a temp / humidity gauge in her enclosure. As others have correctly stated, a gauge like that is not harmful, but also isn't demanded. They can be somewhat informative, but nothing to stress over. If you are comfortable then she is also comfortable. Dry eco-earth or coco fiber is a good and safe substrate. Don't be afraid to pour it in there sort of deep. A good rule of thumb is leave about one and half of her body length from the top of the enclosure to the substrate. She shouldn't be able to fall very far should she decide to climb the glass. They rarely do but just in case. Leave the substrate dry as has been stated. Always keep her water dish full and clean. The posture you are seeing is her likely being nervous. She will acclimate and be fine. Congrats on your new tarantula! Be advised, they're addictive and awesome. Don't be surprised should you find yourself wanting another. :)

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Like said, 1st thing is to change out the substrate (peat moss, coco fibre or topsoil with no additives will be a lot better), fill the enclosure at least halfway with substrate to cushion a fall as well as to give the T the option to burrow (altough it's not likely to). Second thing is to get rid of that hygrometer. No T requires a number specific humidity level. Especially an arid specie like G. Rosea. Keep her substrate dry (bone-dry) as well, they hate damp substrate. Don't mist either, give it a full waterdish, it will provide the humidity your T needs as well as provide a drinking source. No sponges or gel in the waterdish, just plain water. Also offer some form of hide. No heat pads or heat lamps either. G. Rosea are notorious for their mood swings and long fasts, they are pet rocks and will pretty much remain motionless most of the time. Give her time to settle in. If she ever goes on a long fast, don't fret, as long as the abdomen is fat you don't have to stress over it not eating. I've heard of instances where a G. Rosea went on a fast for more than a year. Feed her once a week. G. Rosea has slow metabolisms and doesn't need to be fed that often. Always remove uneaten prey within 24h. Also refrain from petstore advise, most petstore employees has little to zero knowledge when it comes to arachnids.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Lots of good advice given already... So instead of adding to it, I want to praise the op for coming and asking questions!!! A lot of newbies thing they know it all and that combative attitude never helps (spider not human). So rock on, op! Embrace ur newbhood!! We all started exactly where u are now. And keep inquiring - the only stupid questions are the ones unasked!!! ;):)

cold blood

Staff member
They told me to use thr humidity gauge but should i take that out?
Yes, take it out...its actually a funny thing to sell someone with an animal that has ZERO humidity requirements.

Basically ANYTHING the pet store told you should be in question. I urge you to ignore pet store advice and steer clear of care sheets.

You've been given good info here so far and there is so much about your species available here that you can read up on all day. Just make sure you keep the substrate dry, all the time, the water dish should be the sole source for water/humidity.

Also its important that you know that the species has very low food requirements, about as low as any species...on top of that they have a special knack for fasting for extended periods of time...a year or more isn't unheard of. One single large cricket every 7-14 days is enough to keep them plump and healthy. The more you feed, the more often it will fast.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks... the place i bought her from put that in and said it would be fine but
they don't know what they are talking about.

The best thing you can do for your pet is Research Research Research, THEN ask questions, then research research research!

Everyone's advice is standard SOP for this species. Some people handle their Ts, some don't. They seem not to like touching human flesh and other soft/flexible materials, I think because it's soft and mushy to them. They like firmer surfaces to walk on. It's also not safe for your cherished pet to be handled, should it fall it may die. They are pretty fragile actually.

In the end it's your pet, and you do as you want. if it dies due to your handling because of a fall etc, don't say you weren't advised against such practices.

Starantula

Arachnopeon
Pretty much all that can be said for Roseas has been...change the sub (and keep it dry), ditch the gauge, give her a hide and make sure the distance to the top of the enclosure isn't too much....

...and avoid the handling. Doesn't do tarantulas any good, plus G. Rosea are known to be slightly psycho.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
...and when it comes to tarantulas: Better research on a forum like this before acquiring one, since that petshop your got that animal from, once again proves they don't know nothing about correct care.

You'll find lots of helpful things on here, just read through tthe stickies first those should answer a good bunch of any questions you might have. Those still open - just post 'em :)