New H. Lividium

arconea

Arachnopeon
Hey,
Just got a Haplopelma Lividium--Cobalt Blue. Anyone got any pointers on keeping this species?

Thanks,

Alex

swade655

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the biggest issue is substrate......... give the H lividiums a lot of room to dig.......... I give mine 6 tp 8 inches of substrate, they are a beautiful T but do not expect to see them a lot if they are content

ScorpionFanatic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They're quick as <EDIT> so watchout. Know where it is before you open the tank.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhilR

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use a 5 litre cereal container for mine. Ventilation holes are drilled at the top and bottom of the container and it is initially filled 2/3 of the way up with slightly damp peat/vermiculite substrate (not wet) which is tamped down a little. I also start a small burrow at the back of the tub for the spider. It is then left to its own devices, and will usually expand the burrow substantially with no further prompting :)

As has been mentioned previously they are speedy, and can sometimes be unpredictable, so treat them with the respect they deserve :)

Once they're established in their burrows, they tend to be a lot calmer.

ancientscout

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
lividums can frequently produce two burrow entrances. I found out the scary way. If you are use to keeping an eye on one while doing maintanance you might want to make sure there is not another one hidden. I was only inches away from my spider the first time I noticed this. While looking at it's burrow doing maintanance I suddenly noticed a dark form by some moss on the other side about two inches from my fingers! it was not only my spider but a new burrow entrance that had been produced suddenly and it was well hidden where I least expected it.
The other thing you can do with this species which will save you lots of headaches is to stop worrying about the humidity issue. Almost all species of tarantulas which a few exceptions can be aclimated to dryer conditions over a period of time. This will save you big headaches in terms of outbreaks of mites and or mold in an environment which some try and keep too moist. I simply pour about a quarter cup of water [give or take a little] right down the burrow entrance. This gives your lividum the humidity it needs right where it needs it the most. Don't fret, you will not drown your spider. In fact, this species comes from where they have huge monsoon rains that last for months on end. It is no stranger to large amounts of moisture in it's natural environment. Allow the rest of the substrate to dry over time. This will save you headaches that can prove problematic down the road. I've kept mine using this same method for a year and it is as healthy as can be. I also see mine nightly at around 76-77 degrees.

Last edited:

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Enjoy seeing it while you can. Once burrowed you will rarely see it. Mine has not been out of its burrow in close to two years. The most I have seen of it during that time is the tips of its legs.

ancientscout

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I must be lucky. I will say that when I use to keep the temperatures higher, say 80 I hardly ever saw mine like you discribe. Over time I decided that was just too much hassle with the temp/humidity thing and thought I'm either going to keep this at room temperature without all this hassle or it is going to die. One of the two. For the better part of this year I've allowed the thing to just survive at what amounts to room temperature, that being around 76-77 during the day and around 70 on cooler nights but more like 74 on average at night. Also, once I stopped with all the sillyness of trying to keep humidity up and all that and alllowed things to dry out and started with the water down the burrow thing about once a month or so [no set pattern but longer time frames rather than shorter] i started seeing it every night. Now, as soon as the lights go out at night it comes out and will hang halfway out of her burrow nightly and looks way wicked with her appendages fanned out the way they do. She will remain out all night long now. I know that because when I get up at various times of the night to let the dog out I see her nightly.

Mr Short Radius

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
lividums can frequently produce two burrow entrances. I found out the scary way. If you are use to keeping an eye on one while doing maintanance you might want to make sure there is not another one hidden. I was only inches away from my spider the first time I noticed this. While looking at it's burrow doing maintanance I suddenly noticed a dark form by some moss on the other side about two inches from my fingers! it was not only my spider but a new burrow entrance that had been produced suddenly and it was well hidden where I least expected it.
The other thing you can do with this species which will save you lots of headaches is to stop worrying about the humidity issue. Almost all species of tarantulas which a few exceptions can be aclimated to dryer conditions over a period of time. This will save you big headaches in terms of outbreaks of mites and or mold in an environment which some try and keep too moist. I simply pour about a quarter cup of water [give or take a little] right down the burrow entrance. This gives your lividum the humidity it needs right where it needs it the most. Don't fret, you will not drown your spider. In fact, this species comes from where they have huge monsoon rains that last for months on end. It is no stranger to large amounts of moisture in it's natural environment. Allow the rest of the substrate to dry over time. This will save you headaches that can prove problematic down the road. I've kept mine using this same method for a year and it is as healthy as can be. I also see mine nightly at around 76-77 degrees.
"Best just keep your fingers out of there in the first place and don't get bitten." Wasnt this a post of yours in the pokie bite thread? Now you can't say that it was sound advice, because you never know. Please take no offence, I'm just trying to prove a point that its something like this secret borrow that can cause the accident. Nobody that gets bit meant for it to happen.

Spiderface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I never saw mine much at all. I actually gave mine away for that reason. I try to avoid tarantulas that enjoy that much privacy. Glad to hear that Twisted Sister is more visible for you Larry!

james41777

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
About giving enough substrate for cobalts..
Does it stress alot if you purposely put little soil?

Topcat1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It will stress if it can't dig its hole. They're pretty paranoid, and a hole to hide in will make it calmer.

arconea

Arachnopeon
H. Lividium

Thanks for the input everyone!

What countries is this species native to?

ancientscout

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mr. Short Radius-The reference I had made to being suprised by H. lividum was almost a year previous. Since that time I have learned to keep out of there and in fact, modified my enclosure to feed and water it without removing the lid.

Mr Short Radius

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think you're missing the point...
and I apologize for bringing up another thread into this one, but...
The original post about the pokie bite was a "just in case" he gets bitten post. Your response was to keep your hands out and don't get bit. It makes no difference when your close call with the borrow was or if the spider would have even bitten you at all. The point is, you could have been bitten, and being prepared for a bite from a more serious spider is in no means an issue that should be simply discarded and forgotten about. Being prepared can keep a person calm which is important in the rare event of a bite. Although gaining experience and knowledge reduces the risk of a bite, the possability will always exist if you are keeping one.

ArachnoDude

Arachnopeon
yea they do need a lot of substrate to dig. my female however is really strange, i provide about 5 inches of substrate moist with good humidity, but she never digs..i even dug her a burrow and sometimes she goes in. but she likes hanging out outside. sometiems on the top corner of the tank. she webs the corners alot and lately shes been hanging out in the pre dug burrow,, but at night she comes out and explores the tank.