New Guy

SpiderDan1981

Arachnopeon
Hi all,
Dan Pompili here from Youngstown, Ohio.
I'm brand new to Ts. I only just ordered my first today -- a GBB 1.25" and a 1/4" LP freebie sling.
Any advice for a rookie? The GBB comes with a starter kit from Fear Not, but the LP is by itself. I saw Tom's video on sling housing prep, but I'll take all the advice I can get, especially for the LP, which I haven't done as much research on as the GBB.
Thanks in advance for welcoming me to the group and for your advice! I'm excited to begin this new adventure!

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
Hi all,
I'm brand new to Ts. I only just ordered my first today -- a GBB 1.25" and a 1/4" LP freebie sling.
Any advice for a rookie? The GBB comes with a starter kit from Fear Not, but the LP is by itself. I saw Tom's video on sling housing prep, but I'll take all the advice I can get, especially for the LP, which I haven't done as much research on as the GBB.
Thanks in advance for welcoming me to the group and for your advice! I'm excited to begin this new adventure!
read the stickies /thread

but actually I will be helpful, GBB semi arboreal, forget that treat it as a terrestrial but add stuff to web. standard terrestrial rule vertical height no greater than 1.5 times the DLS. for enclosure size i use: (L*W) - 3(dls)^2 >= 0, if it returns false then it is too small some people go bigger but I am more of a "Ts dont require some much space they wont use" kind of guy.

water dishes dont kill slings, cause slings dont drown, this is a total myth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Keep the LP on semi moist sub. You can *probably* use the shipping vial from the GBB as the LPs home. (Not sure on this as i never ordered from fear not before, but most venders i have ordered from use dram vials for larger slings)

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel

Attachments

SpiderDan1981

Arachnopeon
No sweat. Thanks for the info and guidance. I try not too assume any hostility from anyone unless they are being openly hostile. Conversation in text lends itself to misunderstanding, so I operate on a policy of assuming everyone's comments are well-meaning unless I'm shown explicitly otherwise. As for me, self-deprecating humor is my default setting.

Bob Len

Arachnosquire
Hi all,
I've never owned an LP but I can help you with your GBB
I'm not sure what the fear not starter kit is but at that size you can put it in something a bit larger, around 10x10x10 would be good. In the enclosure you'll need lots of anchor points so the GBB can web the enclosure up and make itself feel secure, meaning it'll run to it's web hide instead of your hand when you open the enclosure.Feed your sling as much as it will eat and make sure it has a water dish.Keep the substrate bone dry, occasionally overfilling the water dish when filling it. That's about all for the GBB, unless I forgot something.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
LPs are highly underrated! They are, in my experience- voracious eaters, decently fast growers, and pretty visible. Dry sub, water dish, and a hide are all they need :)

Welcome to the hobby!

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Post some pics when you get them setup.You ordered from one of the
best dealers around.And don't panic when you see how small the LP sling is.
Most of all,have fun observing them and raising them up.Welcome,glad your here.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Welcome!
You can keep 1/4” slings in a condiment cup with tiny holes poked in the lid (make sure the holes are very small! Use a needle or something like that to poke holes). Then moist substrate, and feed prekilled meal worm or cricket chunks.
6BED0C35-B6D0-4F7A-8813-E071F0508C92.jpeg

Clareesi

Arachnopeon
Ah yes I started with those starter kits and they're fantastic :) They provide a very nice guide to sling care as well. The other posters covered everything else pretty well so not much else to add other than congrats!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It’s generally thought that successful T keepers, particularly those that are new, do a fair amount of research before actually buying an animal.

With that said, do your T a favor and read a lot here, don’t rely on YouStupid videos.

SpiderDan1981

Arachnopeon
LPs are highly underrated! They are, in my experience- voracious eaters, decently fast growers, and pretty visible. Dry sub, water dish, and a hide are all they need :)

Welcome to the hobby!
OK, but what about everything I've just read that says water dishes are a really really bad idea for slings? Don't I risk drowning it? Or do I just need to keep a small stone in the dish?

cold blood

Staff member
OK, but what about everything I've just read that says water dishes are a really really bad idea for slings? Don't I risk drowning it? Or do I just need to keep a small stone in the dish?
Wherever you read that....stop looking there.

Slings...all ts in fact....float....healthy ts, regardless of size, wont drown.

The general rule is to offer a dish as soon as housing is roomy enough to fit one.

Also be aware, that although the LP will be fine on dry sub most of its life, as a sling, it should be kept on damp sub....this applies to the vast majority of slings....Some baboons and the GBB are the exceptions.

SpiderDan1981

Arachnopeon
OK. I got you. I saw dishes in Tom's videos, and he seems to be well-regarded as an authority. But I saw conversations too on this forum in which the dangers of water dishes were broadly and deeply discussed. Something about slings not having the same waxy coat juveniles and adults do, their comparative lack of strength and coordination, and the risk of water filling their book lungs. I just want to be sure.

cold blood

Staff member
OK. I got you. I saw dishes in Tom's videos, and he seems to be well-regarded as an authority. But I saw conversations too on this forum in which the dangers of water dishes were broadly and deeply discussed. Something about slings not having the same waxy coat juveniles and adults do, their comparative lack of strength and coordination, and the risk of water filling their book lungs. I just want to be sure.
always watch thread dates...old threads often contain old, dated info.

SpiderDan1981

Arachnopeon
That's one of the reasons why water dishes are important. Slings are more prone to dehydration for that reason.
What a shame. It's so sad to see living creatures suffer or die because of bad information. Thanks, everyone, for making sure I don't make such a terrible rookie mistake.

SpiderDan1981

Arachnopeon
Welcome!
You can keep 1/4” slings in a condiment cup with tiny holes poked in the lid (make sure the holes are very small! Use a needle or something like that to poke holes). Then moist substrate, and feed prekilled meal worm or cricket chunks.
View attachment 298182
The LP has only munched once on a small dead RR roach, on Wednesday.
It is SUPER TINY — little bigger than my pinky fingernail. I have it in a small condiment cup like the one in your picture, with a couple of plastic leaves. I just added a small burrow on the side and some moistened moss.
Does it just need more time to settle in? I tried feeding it a dead meal worm, but I don't know if it ate any of it. It seems to run from food. Obviously, I don't want to put a live mw in, because I don't want it killing my T. Should I just feed it pieces? Thoughts?