New Green Salamander - Please ID and Sex

texascowboy1979

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Christmas Came Early!!!
Ok. My mom's teacher friend gave me a 20 Long tank with Heat rock and lid, and a Green Salamander. The salamander is green with a few black spots, and several black spots on his underside... Please let me know if you know the species and sex of this Salamander... I have found several pictues online of hardcore green and black spots salamanders.. but that is not it... the salamander I have has very little to no black on its back.

This is what it looks like.. Identical... it says tiger... but I thought Tigers were not green??

Heres a pic of the habit..

If someone can post pictures of both the male and female private parts... that Way I will know what Ive got...

If it is a Tiger Salamander... can different types of Tiger Salamanders breed together?

Last edited:

blazetown

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It does look like a tiger salamander...maybe male but I can't tell.

kingfarvito

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
its a tiger

male I think but thats only a guess as I dont know how to sex sallies

get rid of the heat rock

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that's a hoss. maybe a gray tiger Ambystoma tigrinum diaboli, or arizona , A. t. nebulosum, but who knows for sure. I have a "gray" too and keep it in a 10 gallon w/ a few inches of top soil as substrate. Dump a glass of water in once a week to keep soil wet. They go bananas for big fat canadian crawlers and the occasional fuzzie. no need to feed dailey, maybe a couple times a week. keep it in the coolest part of the house, tigers spend most of their time in burrows in the wild and are not particularly fond of temps higher than room temp. Great pics too!
http://www.und.nodak.edu/org/ndwild/sally.html

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
CUTE! I keep tigers too. They have a pretty wide range of colors. I have some that are black with bright yellow spots and others that are dark olive with dull green spots. Same species, just different colors. They're really fun to keep and I think they have great personalities. I keep 3 in a 55 gal. planted tank. No special heating, just lights on half the day for the plants and keep the coco fiber moist. Very easy to care for. :D

AR-Tarantula

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I concur, get that hot rock out of there! Tigers do just fine at room temperature - don't need any additiional heat at all. Also, add a few more inches of moist substrate for burrowing.

ColinR6

Arachnopeon
Another inch or two of substrate would probably be nice for him too, they like burrowing.

Eventually it'll come to your hand when you stick it in the tank... of course hes going to try eating you, but.. chicks will think hes just well trained, lol!