new emperor?

tfleming

Arachnopeon
I just got a new male emperor the end of June and he's been doing well. On the 4th of July I got a female. I fixed up a nice 10gal aquarium for them and put the female in first. The male was in an enclosure at my office, so the female had been in the enclosure for about 24hrs. before I introduced the male. After I introduced the male there was some serious aggression between the 2 and now the male seems some what lethargic. I couldn't see what was going on because they were under a ceramic rock. Finally the male came out from under the rock and has not gone back under the rock and just doesn't seem the same. Any ideas, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated?:?

Thanks in advance!!!

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
He probably got stung by the female and has some venom running around in his system. This makes them sluggish, sometimes wobbly on the legs etc etc. (Think about the effects of the 'sexual sting' that some species deliver, just before mating)......

Answer to your next question: Yes scorpions are immune to their own venom, but if injected in or near a nerve ganglium, they show certain pathology, like the sluggish behaviour etc. In some cases animals even die....

tfleming

Arachnopeon
Thanks Michiel, that makes since. I feel a little better now! Thanks again!!!

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Do provide enough hides for both specimens, so that they won't have to share a hide......P.imperator matings can be rather violent, I know from experience :D:D