New centipedes!

Chilobrachys

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was wondering, whats up with the subspinipes spec. "puerto rico". Was it introduced, it would have to be wouldn't it?

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was wondering, whats up with the subspinipes spec. "puerto rico". Was it introduced, it would have to be wouldn't it?
I'm not sure how they were introduced, but they were.
They are found in tropical areas around the world.
South america, parts of north america (hawaii), asia.

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've noticed that S.s.subspinipes "Puerto Rico" looks nearly identicle to S.s.subspinipes "Barbados". Could these be the same morph?

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey,

try to figure out if has a lot of spines under the terminal legs (Sc. alternans) or only 0-3 (sc. subspinipes).

In this case colors are more than confusing, i must admit.

Regards,
Turgut

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, from what I can see, there is quite a few spines, but just in case, I took a photo. Sorry I couldn't get any better photos.

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've noticed that S.s.subspinipes "Puerto Rico" looks nearly identicle to S.s.subspinipes "Barbados". Could these be the same morph?
Not exactly but I agree the colors are pretty alike. Im sure under closer inspection its becomes more clear with terminal spines,headplates, segments on antennae ext.. I really like this pede though. I mayend up getting myself one within the next week or so my dealer has a few. Stunning colors though, the tips on the legs are Amazing! :)

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
P.R. "S. alternans" in this thread = S. subspinipes

Rick,

Just my opinion, but your pic is this thread of "S. alternans Puerto Rico" looks like Scolopendra subspinipes just like the "Barbados morph" that I'm getting ready to send you.

The "Haitian Giant" and "Puerto Rico Giant" are forms of Scolopendra alternans, but the pic you posted looks like S. subspinipes which is found in the Caribbean as well, but more common in the southern islands of the region. From a color/pattern perspective, S. alternans has a more yellowish body. S. subspinipes as the darker, mahogany body color.

Todd

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
very pretty pedes Rick.

I like the yellow leg and especially the pic of the one with only the terminals sticking out {D

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Todd, here's a pic of the alternans terminal legs.

VS S.s.subspinipes

Last edited:

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
the spines have it!

The spines have it!

Interesting....

We need to compile this type of data for future I.D. debates. I can host a page on my site if somebody needs room to compile, organize and display Scolopendra I.D notes on species if needed.

Todd

JDeRosa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can someone please tell me where I can get a Malaysian Cherry Red.