New centipedes arrived

西行寺 幽々子

Arachnopeon
last week got some new centipedes, thanks for Mr A.Gneist help me get these centipedes, there are some new photos, please enjoy:)

Alipes grandidieri grandidieri

A.g.grandidieri's terminal leg

Ethmostigmus trigonopodus var yellow leg

Hemiscolopendra chilensis

H.chilensis' mouth

Othostigmus aculeatus

Scolopendra polymorpha

Scolopendra morsitans

Scolopendra morsitans

Scolopendra subcrustalis

a new species, i like it very very much

Scolopendra subspinipes dehaani "Chinese Giant"

Scolopendra subspinipes dehaani "Thailand flame tiptoe"

and there is a new centipede from a chinese
Scolopendra cf. subspinipes japonica

some feeding boxes for my pede, is it ok?

and finally is my small room

thanks for watching

Harlock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
cool pedes and awesome Gundams... :)
Glad I wasn't the only who likes the Gundams in the backround. Man, every time I see pics like that I get closer to getting a 'ped. Those are a lovely bunch of guys.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i am not sure if both or either of your S. morsitans are S. morsitans

maybe someone can give some diagnostic features so you can check for sure

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
What's the trunk length in mm on the H. chilensis?

S.s.japonica should have really long terminal legs.

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very cool collection ;) Your setups are wonderful, im sure all your pedes are very pleased with their homes.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer

Awwwrrrrr! Yawp! Fantanstic collection!

-That first one marked as S. morsitans(Tanzania) looks suspiciously like S. mirabilis.
-The H. chilensis is beautiful- I miss mine:(
-Absolutely love the S. subcrustalis. Fat chance, I know, but anybody here in the U.S. bored with theirs yet?;)
-Chinese Giant/Malaysian cherry red: please correct if wrong, but I thought chinese giants were simply subspinipes whereas the cherry reds are ssp. de haani. Any thoughts?

Your 'pede homes are are very nice- would you care to share the names of the plants that you're using in them?

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
-That first one marked as S. morsitans(Tanzania) looks suspiciously like S. mirabilis.
Yes, the one where we are all not sure if it's S. mirabilis or S. morsitans.
I (and others) examined those specimen and came to some conclusions. My opinion: Their teeth are not on a considerably long pedestal toothplate and furthermore some other taxonomical features are missing.

I examined a "real" mirabilis from Pakistan and i can show you a comparison picture and maybe then you can see the differences:

The mirabilis has way more sparsely hirsute antenommeres while the rainbow-species from tanzania have around 6.
On the other hand i've never seen those Tanzanian species having ridges on terminal prefemur/femur - i don't think we only imported females. To me the riddle of Tanzanian species stays unresolved. And yes - i know nadiplochilo.com features a picture of those species labeled with "S. mirabilis", but i'm still not sure, because both specimen differ (and the Pakistan species resembles the description of mirabilis to 100%).

For the second morsitans:
It grows quite big (12-13cm bodylength) and it's no Cormocephalus.
Maybe it's a new species from Madagascar, but i keep some of the same species and they seem to have those typical ridges for S. morsitans:

I don't know of any described Scolopendra-species living on Madagascar and reaching that size - of course it could be a new species, but the other taxonomical featzres fit to S. morsitans and i suppose those ridges on terminal legs have different appearance depending on collection area (i once kept a S. morsitans from Botswana where the ridges were "extremly" noticable).

Regards
Turgut

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Are you saying you believe that animal from China is that subspecies?
No, i don't believe, i identified, using the actual valid literature (that provides only poor information about S.s.japonica).
And i came to the conclusion that it must be something related to S.s.japonica, whatever it is.
I suppose you did the same?

Anyway, you can read it just a few threads down - there i explained why i think so and what i generally think about S.s.japonica and how i came to the idea it might be the mentioned species:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=153558

Telling from that picture if it's japonica or not, is impossible, but regarding to coloration i don't see heavy differences.
Furthermore the species on your picture does not have noticably longer terminal legs than the species from China.

Location is not always a safe information since a lot of Scolopendromorpha-species are introduced through trade.
I don't stick to the thought S.s.japonica might be an endemic subspecies, but this species might also be S. multidens, as already mentioned before.

Nevertheless: Interesting picture that reveals some optical facts about S.s.japonica.

Regards
Turgut

西行寺 幽々子

Arachnopeon
thanks for reply :)

cool pedes and awesome Gundams... :)
i would say i'm a otaku and a old Gundam fan;)

Your 'pede homes are are very nice- would you care to share the names of the plants that you're using in them?
emmmm.. the plant, i just choose the cheapest one(just about 1euro), hehe, i don't know the name too, and as there are very few light and some box very wet, the plant usually dead soon, i usually chance it

What's the trunk length in mm on the H. chilensis?

S.s.japonica should have really long terminal legs.
about the H. chilensis, it is 10-11cm now, but as it very thin, the photos maybe looks very long

yes, i'm not sure too, the name just get from Mr A.Gneist
and thanks for Mr Turgut's reply, you let me know the two pede so far still not sure the species, but if anyone want to see the features of my pedes, i can try to take some macro photos, then let you discuss what is it

Are you saying you believe that animal from China is that subspecies? I've seen a few photos from Japan (they also are colored very differently). http://www.pcc.vghtpe.gov.tw/old/images/arth_p_40.JPG, is this photo identified wrong in your opinion (unfortunately I can't find the other photos online).
about my japonica , you can see another post of mine, there are some features photos, then tell me what's your idea

and about this pic http://www.pcc.vghtpe.gov.tw/old/images/arth_p_40.JPG
i must say some word: i seen it 3 years ago, and why you sure it from Japan? i must say, the words on the pic( not English) is Standard Chinese...... not Japanese (of course, i know it very hard for you to distinguish Chinese and Japanese), if it really from japan or photo by a japanese , why he write chinese on it?:confused: and i must say the chinese name looks very stupid too, just mean " blue head centipede".........i think the pic's owner maybe not understand centipede very much

Last edited:

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
i must say, the words on the pic( not English) is Standard Chinese...... not Japanese (of course, i know it very hard for you to distinguish Chinese and Japanese),
I said I don't have the photos of the japonica from Japan online. That animal looks similar and it's all I could find online so I was asking Turgut his opinion on that one versus your Chinese animal (I thought it was obvious the photo web address says Taiwan, not China. You'd have to be able to ask the photographer if the specimen is from Taiwan or Japan).

A.Gneist

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello,
I´m glad to can help you, get centipedes from your wishlist :) .
The problem, with the S.morsitans (mirabilis), is an older one. The name change is my last information, but if these with new information, will be changed, I will take the new name too.
Nice pictures and setups.
Regards
Andreas

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
key to S. mirabilis?

Thanks, Peter. I see the more bulbous final legs in the Pakistani specimen, if that is what your were referring to. The toothplate seems obvious now, too, after staring at it for a little while. I couldn't find any info. available in the "sticky"- do you know of any available taxonomic keys on S. mirabilis? Occasionally, the Tanzanian specimen is sold here in the U.S. as S. mirabilis and for the most part, I think alot of hobbyists could care less about its place in taxonomic structure. But, for us nerds...your'e knowledge is certainly appreciated. Cheers...

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi,

i'm no expert in S. mirabilis, but had access to a preserved one in museum and now some specimen that fit both the original description by Attems and the preserved speciman.

The Tanzanian species were always somehow doubtful, cause they did not resemble the original description of S. mirabilis.

The length of terminal legs is considered to be thick in orginal description, but i actually have 4 specimen obviously being the same species, but only two of them have those thick terminal legs, the other two have "normal" terminal legs.

The most obvious taxonomic features are:
1) Toothplate longer than usual, sometimes on a pedestal
2) First pair of legs only with one tarsal spine
3) Terminal legs usually without claw spines
4) Short coxopleurons

Regarding to toothplates and terminal legs - and especially to the last taxonomic scrutiny by Negrea (for Israel) i suppose the Tanzanian rainbow-colored species was mistaken for S. mirabilis, because it even features headplates clearly overlapping the first tergite while in S. mirabilisthe headplate always
only abuts the first tergite...or finally does not clearly overlap the first tergite while my examined Tanzanian rainbow-centipedes have headplates overlapping first tergite.

Nevertheless S. mirabilis coexists with S. canidens in same habitats in Israel - i also suppsoe it might be possible in Pakistan.
What i want to say:

1) Maybe canidens and mirabilis can cross-breed and sometimes we see hybrids that are impossible to classify clearly
2) Long terminal legs could be sexual dimorphism. Anyone had eggs from the Tanzanian rainbow out there?
Anyone can tell me how exactly this speciman looks like?

Just fantasizing a bit, don't mind. :)

Regards
Turgut

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Awesome jump on your pede collection, looks like you have some nice cameras too. What camera do you like best that takes good close-up shots? I'm kind of looking around, looking for a more professional one.