new avicularia slings

HotPocket

Arachnopeon
So i headed down to the Taylor reptile expo in MI yesterday and came home with a few new arrivals i met a vender named John Apple. He hooked me up with a great deal on a A. versicolor sling and a A. metallica juvi. He was also threw in a tiny B. albopilosum sling for free!
So any advice on keeping avic's would be greatly help full as these are my first ones. also any tips on raising tiny slings would be much appreciated i have never had anything even close to as small as this bracky.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Just remember for the avics, they need height, not so much width. And something to hide behind until they get their webbing up. And also moisture is more important for them.

As far as the brachy, not a whole lot you can do for them that small.. just keep in a vial with some substrate, and feed tiny pieces of crickets.

-Sean

HotPocket

Arachnopeon
ok thanks. i have them in small KK's on their side. and there versi already has a sweet web built over night.

Bumblingbear

Arachnopeon
I put mine in acrylic containers that I buy from the container store. After fixing them up and boring holes into them for air, they make great T enclosures.

I especially like them because my Avics make their tube webs in the corners so I can still see them.

takelondon

Arachnosquire
I put mine in acrylic containers that I buy from the container store. After fixing them up and boring holes into them for air, they make great T enclosures.

I especially like them because my Avics make their tube webs in the corners so I can still see them.
The great thing about arboreal slings, I've found, is just this. All our arboreals live in plastic containers you can get pretty much anywhere: Dollar Tree, Wal-Mart, even some random acrylic containers at Goodwill. Just give them air holes, some substrate and material to climb on and they're good to go. Currently our Singapore Blue is in a little basic plastic container that the previous owner bored holes in with a soldering gun. We put some substrate in there, a little piece of cork bark and some fake plants, and it's happy as a clam at high tide. If it didn't put so much dirt in its web, we'd be able to see it when it was hiding too. :wall:

Also, you can create a vent by cutting a hole in a plastic lid with an x-acto knife and hot gluing some screen in there. Plastic screening is super cheap at hardware stores. Just make sure you let the hot glue cool completely before introducing your T to the enclosure as hot glue fumes can be toxic. Also, these screens provide an easy way to mist the enclosure, since you don't even need to open the lid. Avicularias require fairly high humidity, so misting their enclosure will be very important.

Last edited:

HotPocket

Arachnopeon
thanks for all the tips. they are settling in pretty fast and the bracky is munching on half a cricket leg right now.