New Avic

MrMatt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I went to a local pet store several weeks ago and found a small 2 inch avic labeled as a 'tiger rump' when I asked for a price they quoted me the same price as their Cyclosternums, 34.99. Well I went back today and talked them down to 19.99 so I picked it up. Its a pretty one :} any thoughts on species?

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's probably something in the Avicularia avicularia complex, like an A. avicularia, A. metallica, or some hybrid or regional variant. But it's impossible to ID Avics with any real certainty, particularly without a pic and even with one.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I really dont think its that hard to Id all Avicularia. some such as the Avicularia bicegoi, Avicularia minatrix, Avicularia versicolor, and Avicularia purpurea are easyer then others. there are many that are hard to get 100% such as anything from Avicularia avicularia, but if you post a pic we can give you our best shot of trying to figure out an ID. here is a link that may help but chances are if you got it from a pet shop its some kind of A avicularia. http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=79320
scott

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I really dont think its that hard to Id all Avicularia. some such as the Avicularia bicegoi, Avicularia minatrix, Avicularia versicolor, and Avicularia purpurea are easyer then others. there are many that are hard to get 100% such as anything from Avicularia avicularia, but if you post a pic we can give you our best shot of trying to figure out an ID. here is a link that may help but chances are if you got it from a pet shop its some kind of A avicularia. http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=79320
scott
What I am referring to is species in the Avicularia avicularia complex (which is more than likely what he has if it came from a pet store for $19.99), not the other groups which contain A. versicolor and A. purpurea. Of course those are easy to ID, but if you have to ask for an ID, it's probably not one of those species.

MrMatt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sorry ihad issues getting the pictures to attach in the first post... here you go

Last edited:

MrMatt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I bought it assuming it was somthing other than an Avic. Avic. ;P any agree with me

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my vote would go to Avicularia minatrix I have one coming any day now, but let me look at some more pics and get back to you. Its an awesome buy I got my 1" on sale for like 35 so props for that. im sure you will get more responses soon;) ;)
scott

MilO*luv*kr3w*

Arachnopeon
:worship: woahh such a COOL AVIC :} wish I had one like that :worship: for 19 bucks my Avic was like 25 bucks and I thought that was a deal :worship:

Last edited by a moderator:

MrMatt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
For the price I spent, I'd be excited for it to turn out to be a female but I really bought it hoping it was a minatrix.{D

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
how large is it Im guessing a little over 2"? A minatrix is one of my fav. to look at they just seem to be shaped a little different then other avics I think avics are the best.
scott:D

MrMatt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
size

about 2.25 inches, anyone else have any thoughts on the species?

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
No expert opinions here, but that sure does look like an A. minatrix nearing a molt to me. Those dorsal pics done in somewhat low light without any flash?

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It looks very much like an A. minatrix. I've kept these and fortunately they are one of those Avics that it's easy to ID because they kept that tiger striping on their abdomens into adulthood. I'd give it time to get bigger first just to be certain.