New and need advice about getting thru my first moult!

Alizabeth

Arachnopeon
The secind picture is when I first put it in the enclosure and the first is what its done with its hide.

I recently got my first T, a brachypelma albopilosum Nicaragua and when I put her/him in the enclosure it went into the hid and I haven't seen it since. It closed off its hid with dirt, I dont want to try and feed it and have its dinner end up killing the T.

The reason I Assumed it was in premolt because it had a bald patch on its abdomen and it quickly closed itself off, and when I look into the hide it only moves a little when I touch its webbing with the feeder tweezers.

It's been about 1 1/2 weeks since I've tried to give it anything to eat (I dont want to stress the T if it is in premoult). Should I put a cricket in to see or just continue waiting?

Attachments

Alizabeth

Arachnopeon
Literally, do nothing.

It can go 6 mo to a year without food.
Thank you for replying so fast! Haha, that's what I've read and was going with but I just wanted someone with experience to weigh in. I just want to be very cautious since I have no experience yet.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
After reading the title, I was almost under the impression the OP was the one who needed help molting :rofl:

T's do all sorts of strange things, including the above mentioned behaviour. It's best to just leave them be and 99.9% of the time, they will work things out on their own without an issue. Best for luck with the little fellow!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I Assumed it was in premolt because it had a bald patch on its abdomen and it quickly closed itself off
The bald patch means nothing other than that the tarantula has kicked hairs at some point, sealing itself away means it could either be in pre-moult or just fasting, either way it doesn't want to be disturbed.

Surfing Tigress

Arachnosquire
It's been about 1 1/2 weeks since I've tried to give it anything to eat (I dont want to stress the T if it is in premoult). Should I put a cricket in to see or just continue waiting?
You don't need to do anything... premolt can take a really long time. I know how stressful this is as a newbie; I called the breeder with my first one freaking out thinking it would starve to death lol. My newest addition sealed herself up the day I got her (three weeks ago) and finally just molted day before yesterday. No food before, during, or after till she hardens up (can usually tell by the fangs turning black again).
Take a breath and have faith your T knows what he's doing; good luck :)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Well... If your skin doesn't fit anymore just lie on your back and stick arms and legs up. You've been refusing food I hope? Now just wiggle until that pesky old skin comes off. Stretch and turn and don't eat anything until your teeth are black again.

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :smug:

Alizabeth

Arachnopeon
Well... If your skin doesn't fit anymore just lie on your back and stick arms and legs up. You've been refusing food I hope? Now just wiggle until that pesky old skin comes off. Stretch and turn and don't eat anything until your teeth are black again.

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :smug:[/QUOTE
I was waiting for someone to do exactly that! Lol
You don't need to do anything... premolt can take a really long time. I know how stressful this is as a newbie; I called the breeder with my first one freaking out thinking it would starve to death lol. My newest addition sealed herself up the day I got her (three weeks ago) and finally just molted day before yesterday. No food before, during, or after till she hardens up (can usually tell by the fangs turning black again).
Take a breath and have faith your T knows what he's doing; good luck :)

Thank you! I have anxiety since it's my first T. I just needed affirmation that I'm not doing anything wrong yet. This guy is so fuzzy and fluffy it's hard to get a hood look at him even when he wasnt out.

Last edited by a moderator:

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :smug:
DARN IT! Beat me to it. I should expect nothing less.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

Surfing Tigress

Arachnosquire
Thank you! I have anxiety since it's my first T. I just needed affirmation that I'm not doing anything wrong yet. This guy is so fuzzy and fluffy it's hard to get a hood look at him even when he wasnt out.
I love that you prefaced this statement with the word 'yet'... means your a realist LOL... you WILL eventually do something wrong (we all do), but at least you've come to the right place when you do :)