Nevermolt the Tarantula

RussoTuristo

Arachnopeon
Meet my cute G. pulchra. It's a tiny little baby in its fifth or sixth instar, just old enough to start growing into those gorgeous velvety looks... and it hadn't molted since November.

Now, some of you might rightly say that it's not uncommon. Pulchra aren't exactly known for rapid growth, and half a year without molting is not something out of the ordinary.

That is a valid point, I'd answer, and you're absolutely right. But there's something I didn't yet tell you, friends, and that is the actual YEAR my baby Pulchra last shed its skin. And the year was... 2014. Yep. We're in ONE AND A HALF YEAR territory here. And it's been about 7 months since this baby last accepted food.

Don't be alarmed however, Nevermolt (as I'm now calling it) looks healthy and still rather chubby for some reason. It's reasonably active and inquisitive, and even chases after prey (but doesn't eat it). Molting, however, doesn't seem to be on its agenda. It's okay, take your time, Nevermolt. Take your time.

DSC_0021.png

Last edited:

mmfh

Arachnobaron
Lol too funny. I Love that name. Congradulations on being a person with patience. I too have a G. pulchra and I agree they take eons to molt but yours seems to be trying to make it into the record books.

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
lol, I'd say it's happy just the way it is......

I don't wanna grow up, don't want grow up
I don't wanna grow up, don't want grow up

I don't wanna grow up, I'm a little brown sling....

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Mine isn't moulting either, but I haven't had it that long. They're looking lovely, though.

cold blood

Staff member
If it chases, it might take a pre-killed cricket...that might be enough trigger a molt.

Slow growers are incredible....so obviously resilient.

tuko

Arachnopeon
Haha nevermolt.

Take a picture of your sling and put it inside the enclosure. Maybe you can induce molting when she sees herself lol!

lunarae

Arachnobaron
lol I like the name. Now you could go and re-write 'Nevermore' by Edger Allen Poe in terms of your T's refusal to molt as a parody. That would be pretty awesome XD

RussoTuristo

Arachnopeon
An update on Nevermolt: In a bizarre turn of events, it resumed eating yesterday! Now it's even fatter!.. and it still doesn't look like it's going to molt anytime soon. o_O

truecreature

Arachnoknight
Well dang I thought my G. rosea sling was worthy of the nickname Peter Pan because it never grows up, but this guy would be far more deserving

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
God I feel ya. I've got a 1/2" pulchra sling who hasn't molted since June 2014. It's butt is so fat and shiny I'm kinda afraid it will burst if I feed it any more.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Super funny and love the name! I have an A. chalcodes that hasn't molted in like 3 years!!! :astonished: He's a sub-adult male tho, and I'm pretty sure he'll hook out next molt, so I guess he's just in no rush to mature and wither away lol

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Super funny and love the name! I have an A. chalcodes that hasn't molted in like 3 years!!! :astonished: He's a sub-adult male tho, and I'm pretty sure he'll hook out next molt, so I guess he's just in no rush to mature and wither away lol
I got him in 2012

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I had two LP slings that were like that.. They ate as much as lp slings I had raised before but molted 3-4 times slower and didn't put on much growth within molt cycles... ... I used to refer to them as the broken Parahybana's... So damn frustrating...

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I am glad to see that I am not alone when it comes to youngsters not moulting in a very long time. I bought a 1.7" B. Klaasi in may last year and it hasn't eaten or moulted since I got it. It is a very healthy looking T but still won't eat. With such a long fast I hope there is a molt coming any moment now.

I guess only time will tell.
:sorry::sorry::sorry::sorry:

RussoTuristo

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, I remembered this thread while taking care of my Ts today and well, here's the update: since the last time I posted here, the sling ate once, just a couple of weeks ago. No, it still hasn't molted. It will be three years in November.

It's probably an extreme example for sure, but let that be a lesson to anyone crazy enough to attempt growing a G. pulchra from a tiny sling. You might want to consider getting one a bit older.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Hey guys, I remembered this thread while taking care of my Ts today and well, here's the update: since the last time I posted here, the sling ate once, just a couple of weeks ago. No, it still hasn't molted. It will be three years in November.

It's probably an extreme example for sure, but let that be a lesson to anyone crazy enough to attempt growing a G. pulchra from a tiny sling. You might want to consider getting one a bit older.
RussoTuristo... I have heard this nickname in an Italian arachnid forum, once. Are you, by chance? :)

RussoTuristo

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, final update on this and it's been a rollercoaster. On the last day of April I found the sling in the "halfway death curl" position. You know, not fully curled but with legs on the way there. I assumed it was some sort of rare disorder which prevented the sling from molting and now would surely finish it off... so I dropped a large drop of water right next to its head and went to bed expecting a fully dead sling in the morning.

Instead, in the morning on May 1st 2018 I found it successfully MOLTED. Yep, 12 hours after being close to a death curl I can't explain, it was sitting there all black and velvety in its new skin. It took THREE YEARS AND FIVE MONTHS for it to complete this instar, and it's still just a baby. This freakin' T will outlive me.