never had a burrower

arachnoobie

Arachnopeon
i ordered a 1" c.crawshayi spiderling and ive never taken care of anything really making tunnels.. ive been using either straight peat or straight coco fibre for my spiders and im wondering what kind of substrate would be best for holding tunnels cause ive seenalot of controversy about best sub:wall: thanks guys

pwilson5

Arachnoknight
could always provide a burrow made out of something? a pipe/tube of some sort

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I used straight peat with my C.fimbriatus.Just kept it nice and moist and let it do the rest. same with my H.lividum.If you want to offer a premade tunnel,go for it. Or just wait it out until it decides it wants to dig on itself.

TheTsupreme

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You know that C.crawshayi is SLOW slow growers right? like 8 years until they mature.

RichRollin

Arachnopeon
If you use coco fibre, I suggest mixing it with maybe 1/3 to 1/2 vermiculite. It will hold it's shape much better than straight coco fibre. Just provide some depth, I'd say at least 4 in. preferably for a inch sling.

arachnoobie

Arachnopeon
yeah i wanted a slow grower for when i went away to schoolll so that it doesnt get out of hand with a massive tank haha{D

dopamine

Arachnobaron
you won't need anything larger than the smallest critter keeper you can find. I have a 1inch c. crawshayi sling as well and just use straight peat moss. it burrows just fine with the minimal silk that it uses and the burrow holds great. I love my KB!:)

arachnoobie

Arachnopeon
ahhh nice!!! hes coming in tomorrow or the next day and i have hte small kritter keeper woot! im gonna start a burrow with half a pipe so i can see into the burrow so i can sometime get a glimpse of the reclusive king:worship: