Nephila what?

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I found this orb-weaver with strange red legs yesterday. What is it? (excuse the picture quality please)

davidbarber1

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Phark, the picture quality is great. It is Nephila, but what type, I cannot find. We will just have to wait for the pros.

David

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Phark-

You live in a part of the world where there are many things the rest of us have not seen or identified, so your pictures are great! Also they are a bit of a puzzle or challenge to test how we use our resources....

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Where did you find this spider? Country, region, city, etc.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Where did you find this spider? Country, region, city, etc.
Singapore. I'm just surprised by the red legs. Over here there is at least one species - Nephila maculata, but it does not have red legs. Could this be an undiscovered species?

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
BTW, this spider was first described in 1859, by Doleschall. It is also found in southern India. According to Platnick, the correct spelling is Nephila kuhlii (two i's).

davidbarber1

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
jsloan is the winner. N kuhlii did not come up on my searches. I missed it. You are correct.

David

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
jsloan is the winner. N kuhlii did not come up on my searches. I missed it. You are correct.

David
I think Nephila kuhlii is simply a synonym of Nephila maculata (or the other way round), and that the spiders we are seeing in these pics are just a melanistic colour morph.

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think Nephila kuhlii is simply a synonym of Nephila maculata (or the other way round), and that the spiders we are seeing in these pics are just a melanistic colour morph.
N. maculata is a synonym of N. pilipes. Those two names have been switched back and forth through the years, but neither was ever synonymous with N. kuhlii.

According to Platnick N. kuhlii is a separate species:

http://research.amnh.org/entomology/spiders/catalog/NEPHILIDAE.html

Nevertheless, I wouldn't say it is absolutely certain what species of spider is in your photograph. You might want to take it to an expert for identification. Until then, you can call it Nephila cf. kuhlii. :)