Nephila - one strong spider

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Wow. That spider kind of reminds me of the madagascaran orb weavers that the National Zoo had back in the early 2000's. They honest to God had them in an alcove that had no glass because they "never had the urge to leave the web as long as there was a constant supply of food". Too bad I was super arachnophobic back then, I would have invited one into my bag. :D

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Nephila inaurata madagascariensis, yep that's the one. They had like six all literally just hanging out. I saw they got rid of the exhibit when I went back in 2014. I wonder if someone tried to steal a spider or if they all just died of old age or if someone tried to do something to one of them (because of the fact that there was no glass and people are pigs). It was really interesting though when it was up and running.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I still would have wanted glass for safe measure. Too many idiots and too much risk to the spider. Imagine some clown spraying hairspray on it or something.

A shame it is gone.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Too many idiots and too much risk to the spider. Imagine some clown spraying hairspray on it or something.
"Animals belong in the wild but people should be kept in zoos." -My Cuz - herpitologist & naturalist

schmiggle

Arachnoking
The title is reminiscent of Charlotte's web.

Cicadas are bad enough, but I've seen pictures of these guys having caught birds.

The Snark

Old Timer
Cicadas are bad enough, but I've seen pictures of these guys having caught birds.
I rescued a cicada in our carport a while back. Those spiky things on it's legs drew blood in a half dozen places and it vibrated so violently it would qualify as a power source for extreme fringe S&M sex toys. Give me the beak and claws of a furious parakeet any day.

The Snark

Old Timer
What specific species of parakeet?
:banghead:.... like... like like the 30 or 40 we raised when I was a kid! I know slightly less than -><- much about boids.
(You reminded me of the demented cafe owner in Bali that kept a hefty parrot with a really foul attitude right in the middle of the seating area. I wonder how many people came close to losing fingers to that darling.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
:banghead:.... like... like like the 30 or 40 we raised when I was a kid! I know slightly less than -><- much about boids.
(You reminded me of the demented cafe owner in Bali that kept a hefty parrot with a really foul attitude right in the middle of the seating area. I wonder how many people came close to losing fingers to that darling.
The term "parakeet" refers to about 30 different species of smaller sized long tailed parrots. I assumed you were referring to Budgerigars (budgies) but I was curious.

The Snark

Old Timer
The term "parakeet" refers to about 30 different species of smaller sized long tailed parrots.
Thanks for pointing this out. In so doing you point out how many common misconceptions come about. People tend to group animals under a well known familiar name that can be inaccurate or misleading. Ex: mountain lion, aka cougar which is actually a puma.
For me, extreme bird challenged, I get zapped constantly by our avian rice field crops. People ask me all the time what those birds are. My reply, 'Storks'. Same same as the term parakeet.

By the way and off the subject, a win for mom nature. Around here the storks were considered problems and possibly ate rice plants. Consequently they were hunted and trapped and many species became quite rare. Then some wily naturalist in the government started spreading the word, the 'white birds' seen in the rice fields 'prevented diseases'. He deliberately left his terms vague. The specifics were the open bill stork ate the snails which very commonly carried angiostrongyliasis, clonorchiasis, fascioliasis, fasciolopsiasis, opisthorchiasis, paragonimiasis and schistosomiasis. So now, all white-ish birds seen in or near the fields are appreciated and no longer hunted.

We have had a win of our own on this front. Snails and rice fields are synonymous. So we've got the word passed along, 'If you have touched a snail, don't take the chance. Splash on some alcohol and scrub thoroughly'. Now people commonly have bottles of alcohol readily available and overall hygiene has improved throughout their lives. And thanks to the lowly Drosophilia Melanogaster for another medical breakthrough. It seeks out sources of natural alcohol which it ingests and kills their parasitic infections.

Last edited: