Nematodes education & questions...

Shanigirl

Arachnopeon
I have tried to search for answers regarding Nematodes. So, if this had already been addressed sorry for the redundancy.

If I am understanding this correctly, Nematodes are found in soil. Then the cricket/roach? is infected and in turn does the same to the T.

Can you stop the infestation by heating/cooking the cricket? I know that some T's will eat a cut up or head crushed cricket, so the idea of it not being alive seems to be ok.

I am thinking then after you kill off the possible nematode presence, just have the cricket cool down to room temp before feeding it to the T?

I was the same way when I got my dog and learned of all the possbile parasites he could get especially Leptospirosis and the region I live in (rural NY/PA). I admit readily that I am OCD when it comes to germs, disease, etc. etc..! I just want to be able to control what I can in regards to the safety of my spider.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
as far as I know, the risk really isn't that high, and I don't know about cooking them, but you could certainly try freezing them. that could work. :)