need your opinions!!

start with a Psalmopoeus irminia or other new worlds or OBT?

• Total voters

Tycho Hasebos

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone, my name is Tycho.
a few months ago, i started with this amazing hobby. my dad also loves this hobby and bought a few for himself too, however i take care of them, and he sometimes helps me remind to do so (i don't have a great memory). we have about 26 T's now and now my dad's going to make enclosures/terrariums himself, that he is going to place in the living room, and buy some more T's himself.

this is the part i need your opinion on: He wants to buy an OBT. we only have new worlds, and he himself has fed/taken care of 3ish T's one time. i think he should still start out with a few new worlds like the GBB or other medium difficulity (to keep) new worlds, instead of rushing into buying an OBT. get some expirience you know? he does know a lot about them, but in my opinion he should also collect more of the beautiful new worlds, or maybe get an Psalmopoeus irminia before the OBT. what do you think about this?

thanks in advance,
Tycho.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I agree. More research and experience would be much better before diving into Harpactirinae. Best to have a good idea of what to expect. Speed, skittishness, attitude, and be cautious of course about the toxicity of their venom.

African baboon spiders are not like any NW IMO.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Was it viper that said something about skittles?
OP pace yourself there is no rush, Ts aren't going anywhere.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
First, you are throwing petrol on a fire by asking opinions here, so be prepared.

I cast my vote for OBT due to several factors. They are very easy to keep when it relates to husbandry, eat well, web beautifully, and are gorgeous spiders. Almost every characteristic regularly presented as negative, e.g., venom potency, speed, defensiveness, are circumvented by common sense. Their defensiveness works in your favor, as soon as you open their enclosure they generally run into their hide, if they don’t, tap on the enclosure and they will. All of the dramatic pictures of their threat poses are the spider warning you to back off, do so and all will be well. Lastly, do not put your hands in the enclosure, and that “Oh so potent venom” is not a factor.

They are VERY fast, know where it is before you open the enclosure, keep your hands out, and enjoy an absolutely outstanding specimen.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
What I think is this:

1) A lot of people seek to buy always and necessarily OW's T's (as if those are 'special' or more 'special' compared to others) after a couple of months with 'pet rocks', but in the process, while doing that, they always skip a lot of incredible (intermediate) NW T's that are seconds to no one. Then, when they see a Pamphobeteus spp. they say 'OMG, OMG'.

2) P.murinus are laughable easy to care for (easy to care, not easy to deal with) and hardy like rocks.

3) Do what you want.

Scarabyte

Arachnosquire
I got into old worlds about 3 months after entering the hobby (albeit i have 20 Ts now including some of the "fast" and "defensive" nws) get what you want, people may think youre missing out but in all reality, the Ts arent going anywhere, you can get an obt then a psalmo if you want. No one says after you get one ow you can only get ows from that point on :p

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
I got my first OW as my 7th T, a P. lugardi and an OBT as my 17th, in total I have 4 OW out of 34 T's. Kept properly baboons are pet holes which you will not see very often, though individuals do vary in behavior There are many NW species that are far more beautiful and interesting.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Well, having a lot of spiders does not mean that you have a lot of experience if you have been only a few months in the hobby. If I remember correctly, you got your hands on a C. fimbriatus a few months back with which you bit off a bit more than you could chew. There is no shame in that. Some people start with an OBT and are fine, but if you were a bit scared of your C. fimbriatus a few months ago, perhaps you should gain some experience with some defensive NWs, or 'less' defensive OWs first.

Do you have any Phormictopus spp.? Or perhaps Ephebopus spp.? Getting a Psalmopoeus cambridgei would not be a bad idea. And if you insist on going OW, why not consider a Ceratogyrus marshalli? They are awesome with that horn and not as defensive as an OBT.