Need some quick advice on tank setup for androctonus australis

Khagra

Arachnosquire
So long story short, there's a specialty store near me that I inquired about having some androctonus australis ordered for me. They just contacted me somewhat out fo the blue and said my scorpion will be there in only a few days.

I don't have the tank set up in advance, but would like to start preparing tomorrow.
It's a 60 gallon aquarium with a mesh lid. I have a heat lamp and a heat pad for one side of the tank, and will be leaving one side cool.

My main concern is the substrate. I have play sand and coconut fiber on hand. Is there anyway to combine these things so when they get wet and dry they harden enough for this scorpion to burrow if so desired? Like a certain ratio of sand/fiber to water ratio?

I can buy anything else I may need as well. I've been out of the hobby for several years now and feeling so rusty. This guy is just meant to be a display animal, really nice/natural looking tank.

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
I keep my A. Australis on plain yellow desert sand, the fine grainy stuff, not the clay type, no coco fiber. 4-6cm deep is enough
In my case they aren't proper burrowers, they only move some loose grainy sand for instance to get underneath a piece of stone.
Messing around with clay or special types of sand is not necessary, they are not Scorpio Maurus or H. Arizonensis that make their own tunnels.
I have a hot and cold zone in the enclosure, both sides have hides. A piece of slate stone or bark will do fine as a hide.
Give the cold side of the enclosure a light mist/spray once every month, no water dish because they are sensitive to mycosis.
During daytime i keep the enclosure at 30 - 35°C (85 - 95°F) , 20 - 50% rel. humidity. In my case those high temps require a ceramic heat bulb.
At night/dark hours i have the heating turned off, temp drops slowly to about 24°C because the enclosure has a lid.
I recommend you get a long pair of tweezers and a paintbrush. Tweezers because they are very venomous.
I rarely see a A. Australis out of it's hide during daytime, often they come out in the middle of the night when i/everyone is asleep.
Often i use a paintbrush to smooth out the sand, next morning I can see if one has been out during the night and how active it was.
Some period they come out practically every night, and sometimes not for 3 weeks.... you know.... scorpions....
Don't have any recommendations on how to make the enclosure 'look nice'. Most Androctonus care sheets mention nothing else than a hide is required.
Maybe some plastic camels ?

Khagra

Arachnosquire
Thank you. I was finding conflicting information about whether or not they burrow, that was my main concern. I appreciate your speedy reply. I live in AZ so my house is usually around 75-80°F so the heatlamp should do just fine for one side.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I don't have the tank set up in advance, but would like to start preparing tomorrow.
It's a 60 gallon aquarium with a mesh lid. I have a heat lamp and a heat pad for one side of the tank, and will be leaving one side cool.
I would say the tank is way too big. A 10 gallon is as big as I would go. You’ll have an easier time controlling temps and your scorpion will have an easier time catching prey. Also, I would personally use a ceramic heater or a infrared bulb for warmth.

My main concern is the substrate. I have play sand and coconut fiber on hand. Is there anyway to combine these things so when they get wet and dry they harden enough for this scorpion to burrow if so desired? Like a certain ratio of sand/fiber to water ratio?
These ingredients are not the best for burrowing, but it can work. Sand will climb together when wet and can be excavated a bit when it dries that way. You can probably do 90-10 or 80-20 sand to coco fiber. What I would do is get some excavator clay as soon as possible. Using that will make burrowing much easier.

Khagra

Arachnosquire
I would say the tank is way too big. A 10 gallon is as big as I would go. You’ll have an easier time controlling temps and your scorpion will have an easier time catching prey. Also, I would personally use a ceramic heater or a infrared bulb for warmth.
I live in Arizona and it is quite easy for me to manage temperatures for this species, so aside from that is there really a downside to having such a large tank?
I've heard people say it will be easier for the scorpion to catch prey before, but I mean.. they aren't spoiled house pets like a cat and dog. In the wild they'd be catching prey in a way bigger space than the tank I'm providing right?

I can downsize my tank if needed, but I just had this dream about a large, natural environment looking tank to have on display, even though I'm fully aware it's still a scorpion and going to be hiding most of the time lol

SHS302

Arachnopeon
I agree with NYAN. 60 gal is way too big for an A. Australis. They don’t even really need anything bigger than a 10 gal. The reasoning for most people saying this is ensure it is eating and to help with maintaining temperatures. I’d save the 60gal for a larger communal species. As far as substrate for burrowing, it’s not really needed either. The ones I have in my collection just make scrapes under rocks or cork bark. I’d personally just mix sand and coco fiber, put in some hides, and you should be fine. I also keep mine pretty warm around 87-90 degrees.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Geeze people go ALLLL out for a tiny little scorpion lol

All it needs is a small food container. A simple hide that offers darkness and a heat source. Plain and simple

A 10 gal tank would still be considered extremely unnecessary

SHS302

Arachnopeon

All it needs is a small food container. A simple hide that offers darkness and a heat source. Plain and simple

I wasn’t telling him to keep it in a 10 gal. I meant to say he doesn’t need anything as big as a 10, even a 5 is too big lol. I keep mine in 12x7” sterilite containers. I have to admit though when I first got into the hobby, even after I knew how big they got on paper I was still a little underwhelmed when I raised my first androctonus species into adulthood haha. Dudes like Gordon take such great pictures some guys have it in their heads that these guys are behemoths lol

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
I wasn’t telling him to keep it in a 10 gal. I meant to say he doesn’t need anything as big as a 10, even a 5 is too big lol. I keep mine in 12x7” sterilite containers. I have to admit though when I first got into the hobby, even after I knew how big they got on paper I was still a little underwhelmed when I raised my first androctonus species into adulthood haha. Dudes like Gordon take such great pictures some guys have it in their heads that these guys are behemoths lol
I had the same issue when I joined originally too lol at the time it was buthidae bomb who took these super glamorous shots and when I got half of them it was bit surprising lol

Khagra

Arachnosquire
I didn't think they are giant, nor did I think they need enrichment or lots of space. I know perfectly well I could keep this guy in a Tupperware container for the rest of his life and he would have been fine, but I keep scorpions for appearance and as pets just wanted a beautiful desert tank to display in my living room. Even though I knew the scorpion would rarely be out, it was my dream to have a hyper realistic desert display. But everyone here has made it quite clear it's a waste of my time and stupid to do.

I bought a 10 gallon instead and just shoved it in my closet.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Thread's pretty much been resolved.

Khagra

Arachnosquire

I've been dreaming about this scorpion for years. So yes, I wanted to go all out. Sorry that I wanted things to look nice. I slapped it in a 10 gallon instead and just put it out of sight instead.

Gotta say, my joy of finally owning this scorpion was really ruined by people's attitudes

NYAN

Arachnoking
Gotta say, my joy of finally owning this scorpion was really ruined by people's attitudes
No. It was ‘ruined’ by experienced keepers, who gave you the advice you had asked for. I don’t see any attitude here except your own.

If you want a realistic desert setup, then make one. Since you state that you are fine not having a scorpion that you will see, you might as well just not put one in there.

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
I think an all-out showy desert enclosure for A Australis would look beautiful in your living room... I would definitely go for that, especially if you're wanting to show off an impressive desert-type enclosure (even if the scorpion doesn't make itself seen a lot!)

woodie

Arachnosquire
I've been dreaming about this scorpion for years. So yes, I wanted to go all out. Sorry that I wanted things to look nice. I slapped it in a 10 gallon instead and just put it out of sight instead.

Ultimately the choice to keep a scorpion in a biotope type display or a tupperware is up to you.

woodie

Arachnosquire
I keep in both types. Some are displays. Some are kept in more manageable breeding type set ups. 20191019_164257.jpg