Need Knowledge About Venom Particulars

DalugnirCC

Arachnopeon
Hello any and all who choose to read, and perhaps any who will help.

I know this board is rife with this subject and I apologize for this matter, though rest assured my situation is different.

Let me first get the obvious out of the way: No, I do not mean to defang/devenom/etc. to a live specimen. I hold spiders near and dear to me, both as natural neighbors, friends and a form of spiritual teachers. I try to be as respectful and kind to the critters as I can be. I'm a devout Pagan who sees great connection between himself, Arachne and, to the greater extent, Athena.

There is an old practice that has caught my attention and after some thought on the matter, I've decided on giving it a shot. There's an old tradition that says that when one eats a spider, it's a metaphysical boost, if you will, but it must be a black spider. No sooner than I read the article did my attention come across the Thai Zebra Tarantula; an apparent delicacy in the Eastern countries, used for a few decades now. It's not just black, typically, but also white, hence it's name which calls to much of my nature between the lines of light and dark, duality, etc. You probably don't need to hear that spiel.

It's as easy as buying one in a can, but that way feels incredibly impersonal, unprofessional to a degree and not as inspiring. I've had the idea of raising one myself and helping myself to it when it's life has run it's course fully through (of course doing the best I can to ensure it's care, nutrition, enjoyment of life, etc.), but I've come upon a distinct snag...

And this is problem thus:
It's highly venomous. Recipes warn not to eat parts anywhere near it's mandibles or head, but researching it's production, as well as the recipes and the canning, doesn't tell me how they deal with that exactly. Showing the head and mandibles intact when it's canned, doesn't very much help me. What I need to know is how does one safely remove the fangs and venomous sacs from it, post-mordem?

I appreciate any time and energy spent into this and hope for useful information soon. Blessed be and namaste.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
It's venomous, not poisonous, the venom is not going to harm you unless it enters your body through a wound. I also do not suggest you get this T to raise as your first, even if you don't intend to raise more, as it is an incredible handful, if you're adamant about this process, as "impersonal" or however you put it as it may seem, get it canned.

DalugnirCC

Arachnopeon
It's venomous, not poisonous, it's not going to harm you unless it enters your body through a wound. I also do not suggest you get this T to raise as your first, as it is an incredible handful, if you're adamant about this process, as "impersonal" or however you put it as it may seem, get it canned.
Firstly, thank you for the very quick reply!

Secondly, I do understand the difference between venomous and poisonous, but I'm not sure there'd be a warning about it unless it were important...fangs at the very least surely wouldn't be pleasant for the intestinal tract, but are you certain the venom wouldn't cause a problem when consumed?

Thirdly, unrelated, but I have to ask. You into MTG? I ask because of your ID.

DalugnirCC

Arachnopeon
And also, no. I've wanted to own spiders for a while now, but life keeps getting too complicated to steadily raise them. Once things settle down I hope to start caring for some.

Last edited:

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel

Secondly, I do understand the difference between venomous and poisonous, but I'm not sure there'd be a warning about it unless it were important...fangs at the very least surely wouldn't be pleasant for the intestinal tract, but are you certain the venom wouldn't cause a problem when consumed?

I would definitely avoid eating the fangs, just as you wouldn't eat the shell of a crab, and I'm not certain you'd want to eat most of the exoskeleton either, but I'm less sure of that. And yes I am actually you're the first person to note that name! The venom shouldn't harm you as far as I know.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
"F-word" man you just punched my eyes pretty well with the first comment :-s

Funny way for asking for a proper 'Haplo' advice btw. Or, if you are serious, if you want to know more i think you should talk with South Eastern Asian people, they cook & eat those T's on daily basis. And fangs used as toothpicks. Rest assured, they know how proper eat a Theraphosidae. Aside for that, can't help much.

Oh, Athena, also? High Five, Goddess Minerva is the guardian of my city :angelic:

3 minerva.jpg

Flexzone

Arachnodemon

Venom and poison are essentially chemically considered the same toxins, just the method of delivery is different. So unless you have an open wound in your digestive system venom will have no affect on you. I would think by cooking the deceased T in high heat would breakdown and destroy the proteins in the venom.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Venom and poison are essentially the same toxins, just the method of delivery is different. So unless you have an open wound in your digestive system venom will have no affect on you. I would think by cooking the deceased T in high heat would breakdown and destroy the proteins in the venom.
Very valid point here I'm not sure why I totally blanked on it, the heat from cooking should absolutely destroy the configuration of the venom.

DalugnirCC

Arachnopeon
I would definitely avoid eating the fangs, just as you wouldn't eat the shell of a crab, and I'm not certain you'd want to eat most of the exoskeleton either, but I'm less sure of that. And yes I am actually you're the first person to note that name! The venom shouldn't harm you as far as I know.
The whole spider gets fried or salted or however they cook it...not sure you want to know but it's fairly interesting. Never thought of spiders as something people would eat, but I suppose when one is starving, we'll eat anything right? And really xD well glad to be the first, hopefully not the last. Ironically I've been working on a Spider deck. Yes I know they suck...but all the REACH!

"F-word" man you just punched my eyes pretty well with the first comment :-s Funny way for asking for a proper 'Haplo' advice btw. Or, if you are serious, if you want to know more i think you should talk with South Eastern Asian people, they cook & eat those T's on daily basis. And fangs used as toothpicks. Rest assured, they know how proper eat a Theraphosidae. Aside for that, can't help much. Oh, Athena, also? High Five, Goddess Minerva is the guardian of my city :angelic:
Back at ya :3 And thank you. Spent most of the day reading up on it actually. Quite interesting people there and apparently some very renowned chefs around the world, and youtubers naturally, have done it.

Venom and poison are essentially chemically considered the same toxins, just the method of delivery is different. So unless you have an open wound in your digestive system venom will have no affect on you. I would think by cooking the deceased T in high heat would breakdown and destroy the proteins in the venom.
Thank you for the confirmation. I was fairly certain cooking would do so, but I'm no chemist or biologist. Felt it was safer to ask rather than find out the hard way.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
There are people that do shots of snake venom for various reasons. Just as others have said, unless you have an open wound, it'll be harmless.

Personally, however, it would never work for me. I have a nervous habit if chewing on my cheek :D

DalugnirCC

Arachnopeon
There are people that do shots of snake venom for various reasons. Just as others have said, unless you have an open wound, it'll be harmless.

Personally, however, it would never work for me. I have a nervous habit if chewing on my cheek :D
...seriously? o.o; Like...what would that even do for them? Can't imagine it tastes good.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm curious, according to what you know about, there's a sort of "inner" benefit to gain after eating one?

Sort of "Far Cry 3" spider hunting technique? Cosmic illuminationism like "Rom the Vacuos Spider" ??? Please tell me :)

DalugnirCC

Arachnopeon
I'm curious, according to what you know about, there's a sort of "inner" benefit to gain after eating one?

Sort of "Far Cry 3" spider hunting technique? Cosmic illuminationism like "Rom the Vacuos Spider" ??? Please tell me :)
You know who Rom is. I like you. A lot xD

Joking aside, it's very unspecific. Intuition tells me it works on a psychic level. Possibly things to do with understanding language or perhaps more prophetic openness, as the Greeks once used spiders as oracles and spiders have a lot of hidden messages and meanings behind their webs, pertaining to seasons, energies and sacred geometry. If nothing else, it is probably a mental/biological connection, the same way that African Priests believed ingesting certain body parts from animals (and humans) granted certain things like that animal. At the very least, it would be an interesting experience. At the most, bonding further with one of my most treasured creatures, to have the essence of a spider be part of me.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
The whole spider gets fried or salted or however they cook it...not sure you want to know but it's fairly interesting. Never thought of spiders as something people would eat, but I suppose when one is starving, we'll eat anything right? And really xD well glad to be the first, hopefully not the last. Ironically I've been working on a Spider deck. Yes I know they suck...but all the REACH!

Back at ya :3 And thank you. Spent most of the day reading up on it actually. Quite interesting people there and apparently some very renowned chefs around the world, and youtubers naturally, have done it.

Thank you for the confirmation. I was fairly certain cooking would do so, but I'm no chemist or biologist. Felt it was safer to ask rather than find out the hard way.
I actually built an all insect deck that strikes fear into the hearts of all of my friends.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
...seriously? o.o; Like...what would that even do for them? Can't imagine it tastes good.
It's a nervous reaction for many, I have massive wounds in my cheeks and lips from chewing them. Just buy one of the canned ones, because these spiders have incredibly long lifespans.

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
This is interesting to read! :)

Yes, as others have said, cooking the spider at a high heat would denature the proteins in the venom. However, by raising Haplopelma albostriatum (Thai zebra tarantula. We use scientific names on this forum.) you're taking a massive step forward into this hobby. That species is fast, unpredictable, and can deliver a nasty bite.

Does it just have to be a black spider? If you're worried about venom, why not try Grammostola pulchra? In terms of husbandry, G. pulchra is very docile, slow, and has venom comparable to a bee. It's much more tailored to the beginning T keeper, and while raising your future meal, I think you'll be rewarded with this spider's charms.

The only downside is that G. pulchra can live a long time. 40 years in some females, and males will mature in 10. You want to let the spider live its life, (Very honorable, my friend! Applause to you!) and that life is a very long one. I would buy a male that is near maturity. Male tarantulas live less than a year after they mature. This species is a bit pricey, but a near mature male shouldn't be too bad.

Also, that species isn't commonly eaten. Tell us how it tastes! In terms of cooking, G. pulchra has urticating hairs, which you'll want to somehow sear off before you eat it.

DalugnirCC

Arachnopeon
This is interesting to read! :)

Yes, as others have said, cooking the spider at a high heat would denature the proteins in the venom. However, by raising Haplopelma albostriatum (Thai zebra tarantula. We use scientific names on this forum.) you're taking a massive step forward into this hobby. That species is fast, unpredictable, and can deliver a nasty bite.

Does it just have to be a black spider? If you're worried about venom, why not try ? In terms of husbandry, G. pulchra is very docile, slow, and has venom comparable to a bee. It's much more tailored to the beginning T keeper, and while raising your future meal, I think you'll be rewarded with this spider's charms.

The only downside is that G. pulchra can live a long time. 40 years in some females, and males will mature in 10. You want to let the spider live its life, (Very honorable, my friend! Applause to you!) and that life is a very long one. I would buy a male that is near maturity. Male tarantulas live less than a year after they mature. This species is a bit pricey, but a near mature male shouldn't be too bad.

Also, that species isn't commonly eaten. Tell us how it tastes! In terms of cooking, G. pulchra has urticating hairs, which you'll want to somehow sear off before you eat it.
Indeed it's a big leap. One I've thought and wanted for a long time, but family would never let me have one and I currently hop from place to place. Once I've got firm feet on the ground, I want to have them as pets...the fiancee isn't ecstatic but she likes how they look. She just doesn't want to be near them when I handle them.

According to the snippet of info from what I received about the practice, it should be a black spider. Not specific on the type, but like anything in the practice, we craft and change things as we feel they must or should be changed. I like the zebra for spiritual reasons, because with my lifestyle and practice, I tread neutrality. Lines between what we perceive as good and bad, light and dark, so on and so forth.

As for G. pulchra, it's a very nice looking breed. I do not mind the life span. I want the spider to live it's life because, to me, it makes the act much more personal, gratifying and intimate. In this way, in enjoying life with the spider, a piece of it's spirit will remain with me, or that's how I see it. Canning is easy, fine and good, but I don't feel an importance or a connection with something, basically, store bought. It would be easier, but the best roads are often not the easiest of ones.

Definitely I will take into consideration that breed. As for the hairs, there's special torches used for preparing food that chefs recommend using to sear off the hairs, so I'm ahead of you on that.

One particular breed of spider I would really love to have is the Haplopelma Lividum.
blue_tarantula_by_ddragonball-d47egw4.jpg

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
She just doesn't want to be near them when I handle them.
You shouldn't handle your tarantulas, especially any Old World species you may get.

Here is a good page that lists the pros and cons of handling. Myself and most others are against it.
https://tomsbigspiders.wordpress.com/2014/11/26/handling-tarantulas-some-things-to-consider/

it's a very nice looking breed
consideration that breed
On particular breed of spider
Okay, there is no such thing as a tarantula breed. Every tarantula is its own species. A breed would imply that it is a different variety of the same species, when every tarantula happens to be its own species. ;) Do us a favor and don't use that word unless you're referring to dogs.

Also, I don't recommend Haplopelma lividum, because of the speed, venom, and defensiveness that I said above. Maybe one day you will be able to keep these advanced species, but considering you don't even know the difference between a breed and a species, it's safe to say you're not ready. If you want a blue tarantula that is suitable for a beginner like you, try Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens. It will be more visible than H. lividum anyway.

Last edited:

DalugnirCC

Arachnopeon
You shouldn't handle your tarantulas, especially any Old World species you may get.

Here is a good page that lists the pros and cons of handling. Myself and most others are against it.
https://tomsbigspiders.wordpress.com/2014/11/26/handling-tarantulas-some-things-to-consider/

Okay, there is not such thing as a tarantula breed. Every tarantula is its own species. A breed would imply that it is a different variety of the same species, when every tarantula happens to be its own species. ;) Do us a favor and don't use that word unless you're referring to dogs.

Also, I don't recommend Haplopelma lividum, because of the speed, venom, and defensiveness that I said above. Maybe one day you will be able to keep these advanced species, but considering you don't even know the difference between a breed and a species, it's safe to say you're not ready. If you want a blue tarantula that is suitable for a beginner like you, try Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens. It will be more visible than H. lividum anyway.
Appreciate the info and I apologize. I meant no disrespect. You are right of course. I'm not exactly ready for handling the hardier species of spiders, just a desire. My experience is only with common house spiders that are content in the corners of homes and ones that live at our trailers. Not really pets, just friendly neighbors...thankfully the roommates respect my wishes to not squish them.

Speaking of which, I'm having an issue identifying that specimen. Perhaps you, or someone else, can help identify it?

Forgive the camera x.x It was the best I could do and he doesn't show himself during the day.
13254302_10208756102292231_5450619641415675427_n.jpg 13239360_10208756101932222_4254435664544725993_n.jpg