need infos about Thrixopelma ockerti

WRXspecR1

Arachnopeon
I've heard these have been found living an arboreal lifestyle in the wild... I can't think of the source right now, but I'm certain I've heard this from a credible person.

Eric
I was told by someone who own some adults that they are always on the top of their enclosures. Mine is still borowing and doesn't seem to web at all but it's only 1" ½.

Last edited:

Dreamslave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Same for me, mine stays at the top of the enclosure most of the time! And my GBB does exactly the same! But i have heard that as slings they tend to be semi-arboreal and then as adults things get back to normal!

Dreamslave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
He we go, my first pic of my Thrixopelma ockerti sling!!! Enjoy! :)

Last edited:

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nice, it'll settle down and probably start to do some digging soon. Congrats.

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You can find the information in this article written by the guys originally collecting this species:

Schneider, Frank & Auer, Hans-Werner; 2008. Thrixopelma ockerti Schmidt, 1994 - Natürliche Verbreitung, Haltung und Zucht im Terrarium. Arachne 13 (1), 4-10.

In their account they tell that no specimens could be found in the ground even after meticulously searching in more than one trip. The species were eventually found living all together arboreally. Probably an adaptation to the annual floodings of the floodplain in which the species can be found.

Regards
Søren

I've heard these have been found living an arboreal lifestyle in the wild... I can't think of the source right now, but I'm certain I've heard this from a credible person.

Eric

maxi_kdu

Arachnopeon
And this is mine

He used to dig a lot,but he dwells well on the ground now...

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
When I first got my little sling, it stayed at the top of the deli cup all the time.
Now it pretty much stays on the ground.

carl

Arachnopeon
here's my lil girl... she's abt 2.5"{D

she's a bit skittish and would readily flick but she's really gorgeous

Dreamslave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice pics Carl! This topic had been sleeping for a while! :p
I will try to post new pics if my ''small monster'' doesn't want to kill me or the camera first! Mine surely isn't like bliss said, seems pretty skittish and attacks anything that gets in its enclosure! And its bloody fast! hehehe

But i just love it, really awesome t!

carl

Arachnopeon
tnx dreamslave... :razz:

mine is on the docile side but she does flick her hairs at me when she's doesnt want to be disturbed..

here's ava hanging out on my hand

Dreamslave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Woah super cute t!!! hehehe

I will try to convince mine later today to let me take a few pics! lol

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow beautiful I have to say I wouldnt mind getting my own little Thrixopelma ockerti. How big do they get? Their body types look like a few of my dwarf Ts. but that isnt the best thing to go off. ;)

Dreamslave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They max out in size around 4 ½ to 5 inches and have a lean build.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awesome Ill have to see if I can find a good price on one Ive been on a spending spree lately but I think this T looks like an awesome addition. I saw a few on the boards today but I dont really want to get one at .25" I like them a little bigger about .75" and up. I wouldnt mind geting one around 4" either though. Do they kick a lot of hairs they look fairly docile?

Dreamslave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well if you read at the beginning of this topic seems like bliss's one is on the docile side and doesn't often kick hairs. Same for Carl. But for me seems like mine has some OBT genes inside it! Doesn't kick hairs just wants to kill anything that gets inside its enclosure! LOL

Last edited:

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Both of mine are handleable. Very little hair flicking but mostly they like to stick the hiney up in the air. Both of mine are at the 2 1/2 mark also. Enjoy