Need Info About Aphonopelma Gabeli

Matt98

Arachnopeon
I am about to go to a reptile expo because one of the vendors is selling Ts. He emailed me his list of what he's selling and Aphonopelma Gabeli was one of them. First time ever seeing this name. Anyone have one or know anything about them? Thinking about buying it.

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had a wild caught one for a few years. They are kept similarly to any of the American Aphonopelma species. Dry substrate, water dish, and a hide. The easiest way to distinguish them from the others is the very large chelicerae of A. gabeli. For more info and good photos of gabeli and related species check out this paper: https://zookeys.pensoft.net/article/6264/ . I believe they used to be known as Aphonopelma sp. "Carlsbad Green". As for temperament, mine was probably the most defensive tarantula that I have had (including Old Worlds). That being said, I talked to other owners who said that theirs were very docile. You never know what your going to get personality wise.

Matt98

Arachnopeon
I had a wild caught one for a few years. They are kept similarly to any of the American Aphonopelma species. Dry substrate, water dish, and a hide. The easiest way to distinguish them from the others is the very large chelicerae of A. gabeli. For more info and good photos of gabeli and related species check out this paper: https://zookeys.pensoft.net/article/6264/ . I believe they used to be known as Aphonopelma sp. "Carlsbad Green". As for temperament, mine was probably the most defensive tarantula that I have had (including Old Worlds). That being said, I talked to other owners who said that theirs were very docile. You never know what your going to get personality wise.
Would a spider like this be worth $25 to you? Or should I just get a different spider. I've done a lot of research and I Think I'm about to get my first tarantula. Just needed info on this last species.

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Would a spider like this be worth $25 to you? Or should I just get a different spider. I've done a lot of research and I Think I'm about to get my first tarantula. Just needed info on this last species.
I would definitely take it for $25. Is it a sling, juvenile, or adult?

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They're a great species. I picked up a juvenile about three years ago for twenty bucks. Turned out to be female. She's lovely, but on the skittish side. Eats everything I offer and looks fantastic! Get one! You won't regret it.
DSCF4176.jpg

RonC

Arachnopeon
Both require the same husbandry. Just which one appeals to you most. I have an A.moderatum coming next week.

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
To the original poster:
Did you ever end up getting the Aphonopelma gabeli??? If so, how did they turn out, and how much have you enjoyed having them in your collection?

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Was wondering the same thing lol
Zombie thread from 2018, but atleast you searched for a relevant thread before posting a new one. Kudos ;) .

A. gabeli is a great Aphonopelma spp. They're a bit uncommon, but don't come with too high a price tag when you do find them. Keep in mind they'll likely be WC animals though as no one is breeding them in captivity that I'm aware of. Great eaters and not just great eaters for an Aphonopelma, medium size, HUGE chelicerae in proportion to the body. Little skittish, mine isn't prone to kicking hairs, will burrow under something if given the chance, and they tend to be really striking animals when freshly molted.
20230319_155726.jpg