Need Ideas for Keeping Humidity Up

TheEighthDay

Arachnopeon
I just transferred my a.avic to a smaller enclosure because the 10 gallon tank was WAY too big. I am having trouble coming up with ideas on how to add heat (because the enclosure is plastic) and to keep up humidity.

Popsmoke63B

Arachnosquire
i use a $40 heater from lowes, with a digital thermostat, and a $40 humidifier from lowes also. My heater is set at 70f, and humidifier runs while i'm home. The room stays @75-80% humidity, and @78-80f. cheap and easy way to keep it consistent. The room gets some sun, which helps with the heat.

TheEighthDay

Arachnopeon
i use a $40 heater from lowes, with a digital thermostat, and a $40 humidifier from lowes also. My heater is set at 70f, and humidifier runs while i'm home. The room stays @75-80% humidity, and @78-80f. cheap and easy way to keep it consistent. The room gets some sun, which helps with the heat.
As much as I like this idea, it may not work for my situation. I am in an apartment and the Ts share a bedroom with me... therefore extra room heat will not be too comfortable. Also, I am not allowed humidifiers because of our sensitive fire alarms (annoying, especially when sick).

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
How cold is it, and how humid is it currently?

cnapple

Arachnoknight
i keep all my avics at room temp ~70 Fahrenheit, with moist substrate and occasional misting for humidity. I've never had any trouble with this setup. IME, avics are not as delicate as people make them out to be.

TheEighthDay

Arachnopeon
It's a solid 74 degrees right now. Misting or a plant sounds like good options. Thank you :)

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
If your enclosures ventaliation is at the top of the enclosure or.close to it. Try taping off some of the ventalation (some not alot or all) and mist the walls and like stated before plants. The less ventalation for air to get in and out the more your humidity will balance but DO NOT suffocate the little guy or girl.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
It's a solid 74 degrees right now. Misting or a plant sounds like good options. Thank you :)
You don't need a heater.
My avics are sitting at 70 right now, and it's going to get cooler. I never mist.

To increase ventilation, you don't need a plant if you don't want to (though it would indeed help). What I do is simply keep an open water dish and block most of the ventilation. My room is currently at 50%-ish, my enclosures are probably in the high 60%-70% range. I also keep 4 versi slings, maybe wet their sub once every two weeks so they are pretty much dry most of the time. They are fine and coming up to 5th instar and no problems.

I have a sneaking suspicion a lot of the supposed "SADS" are simply keeping them too wet, and fussing over them too much.

Last edited:

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hobo: Pretty easy keeping the humidity up when you have 50% in your room =) Where i live we have about 20-30% so its a bit harder here to keep the humidity at a high level.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
True enough, I could see the need to mist and all that then.

But, being in Illinois, I doubt the OP will have any problems with humidity unless they run dehumidifiers in their house or something.