Need help with snake!

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I need help with my eastern hognose snake. It is about 3 weeks old and has yet to feed. I know that this species eats frogs and toads. I have read that by senting pinkies with a toad this species can be taught to eat mice. The problem is I don't know how much longer this little guy can go without eating. I have tried to feed it a sented pinky and it does not seem to have any intrest in it what so ever. I need some suggestions as to how to get this little fella to eat something. Please help! :? :wall: :wall:

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
First of all, as you stated, eastern hognoses feed on native anurans. Secondly, switching them over to mice can actually do more harn than good. Their bodies are not designed to metabolize mammalian prey, and this can cause liver and kidney problems in the long run. Unfortunately, people are often stubborn about switching to a rodent diet because it's so much more convenient. Convenient as it may be, meeting the needs of the animal in your care should always come first before convenience.

But, if you insist on switching to a rodent diet, I must warn you it won't be easy because these guys are more hard-wired for an anuran diet, or rather, an ectothermic (cold-blooded) diet. Scenting is the first step, now try feeding him in a deli cup where he is forced to be in close quarters with the prey item, and give him complete privacy, he may just be shy.

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bry said:
First of all, as you stated, eastern hognoses feed on native anurans. Secondly, switching them over to mice can actually do more harn than good. Their bodies are not designed to metabolize mammalian prey, and this can cause liver and kidney problems in the long run. Unfortunately, people are often stubborn about switching to a rodent diet because it's so much more convenient. Convenient as it may be, meeting the needs of the animal in your care should always come first before convenience.

But, if you insist on switching to a rodent diet, I must warn you it won't be easy because these guys are more hard-wired for an anuran diet, or rather, an ectothermic (cold-blooded) diet. Scenting is the first step, now try feeding him in a deli cup where he is forced to be in close quarters with the prey item, and give him complete privacy, he may just be shy.
Well I e-mailed a guy that breeds the e. hogs and he said that he feeds his mice. And he does not believe that it to cause the snake any harm. I would feed it a toad diet if I had toads in my area or if they were available as feeders. I to believe that they should eat toads, that's why I e-mailed the breeder to ask him about it. If anyone knows where to buy feeder toads I would be more than happy to feed him toads.

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just because one person says something may or may not work does not make it absolute truth. The facts are that Eastern Hognoses are not evolved to eat mammals.

How long has your breeder friend been feeding Eastern Hogs rodents? I have heard from several old school herpers (people who have been keeping/breeding for 20+ years) who have personal experience with feeding Eastern Hognoses rodents...and 100% of the time, the snakes died much earlier than specimens who were fed the proper anuran diet.

If you want a Hognose Snake who will readily eat rodents without detrimental effects to the snake, get a Western Hognose.

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
DavidBeard said:
Just because one person says something may or may not work does not make it absolute truth. The facts are that Eastern Hognoses are not evolved to eat mammals.
I realize that. I don't know much about these guys. This is the first hog I have had and just happend to get it. I did not really plan on it. So I have been doing research on them. I have read allot of different opinions regarding feeding them mice. I have only kept kingsnakes and garter snakes so I am new to this problem. The guy I e-mailed is a breeder that I found on the internet. He breeds allot of different species so I figured he would know what he was talking about. But I'm still left with a problem of a snake that needs to eat something. I found a frog today that I am going to try and get him to eat. I'm going to try my best to find a place to buy feeders to meet his dietary needs but I don't know at this point if I'm going to find anything. I would like to do what is best for the snake but he may just have to eat mice with a frog every now and again.... I don't know what else to do:wall: :wall:

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I got the little guy to eat a prekilled frog just now and he ate it just fine.:clap: So now I just need to find more frogs. :? :wall:

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would like to do what is best for the snake but he may just have to eat mice with a frog every now and again
LOL....good luck with that approach. I doubt the snake will just all of a sudden decide to overide a millenia of evolution just because you say it may "have to." ;)

If you cannot properly care for the snake, I suggest finding someone else who can.

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Glad you got him eating frogs...there are a few companies out there that do sell feeder frogs (mainly green trees) and maybe some toads. And I believe feeder anoles will do if you're in a pinch. Eastern hogs are cool snakes, but if you still want a hognose but prefer one that eats mice, westerns are a much better choice, they're not strictly anuran feeders. I live in western hognose territory, and we don't have any damn frogs around here. They would starve first before finding a frog out here. LOL

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bry said:
Glad you got him eating frogs...there are a few companies out there that do sell feeder frogs (mainly green trees) and maybe some toads. And I believe feeder anoles will do if you're in a pinch. Eastern hogs are cool snakes, but if you still want a hognose but prefer one that eats mice, westerns are a much better choice, they're not strictly anuran feeders. I live in western hognose territory, and we don't have any damn frogs around here. They would starve first before finding a frog out here. LOL
Yeah I like the western hogs. I did not know that the e. hogs were froggers until I already had it. I had heard that they would eat all the same stuff as the westerns. But then I did my research and found out that they eat strickly frogs and toads. That's all right though I'll figure out something even if it means going to petco and buying some of they're frogs.I'm just glad he ate something so I don't have to worry as much..

Psycho

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Theres always pros and cons to owning species that you can or cannot supply proper diets for...But always remember the cons 99.9% of the time outweight the pro's. Look all over the internet for breeders that actually carry the specified food source for the species at hand. Of course you will pay double than what you would pay for it at a pet store but at liest you know you will always have the food source on hand.

-Rob
www.sheboyganherpsociety.com

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I found some toads on the net and they are cheaper than pinkies. So it looks like I will be feeding it toads after all. I'm glad I found some, I was starting to get worried that I was not going to be able to feed him. {D {D

Prewt

Arachnopeon
thats a lot better idea than I had. I was going to advise making a lil frog / toad outfit for the mouse so the snake would feel like eating. :liar: ;)
Glad you found a food source. My kids corn snake wouldnt eat for a week and 1/2. Tried feeding it thawed pinkies and it was a no go....Finally tried a live pinkie as a last resort and found out he prefers live food. :8o

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Prewt said:
thats a lot better idea than I had. I was going to advise making a lil frog / toad outfit for the mouse so the snake would feel like eating. :liar: ;)
Glad you found a food source. My kids corn snake wouldnt eat for a week and 1/2. Tried feeding it thawed pinkies and it was a no go....Finally tried a live pinkie as a last resort and found out he prefers live food. :8o
It's kinda wierd the hog seems to prefer eating pre killed. I tried to give him a live frog and he was just afraid of it. Thats good though. Better for the frog that way I geuss.