Need help with feeder crickets

Justblayzee

Arachnosquire
Not sure if I posted in the right spot but I bought some feeder crickets 2 days ago and I brought them home and put them in the tub I have for my feeders which has worked well for the time I've been using it. Anyway I put them in the tub and went to feed them yesterday and over night half had died. Is this because of the cold or is their other reasons? I don't need lots of them I only feed my centipede once a week but I'm just curious as to why they've died. If anyone has any ideas I'd like to hear them. Thank you.

Aviara

Arachnoknight
What is the temperature where you are keeping them? Humidity? What are you giving them for food and water? What size container are they in, and what sort of material are you using to increase surface area (ex. egg crate)? Feeder crickets tend to die easily, but losing half overnight seems strange.

Justblayzee

Arachnosquire
I have them in a 50l tub, I got told I don't need to give them water which I thought was weird not sure on humidity it gets as high at 22• Celsius where I live because of winter and as cold as 12•. I have a few egg crates in there.

Justblayzee

Arachnosquire
Food I chuck a slice of carrot in every 3 days or hen ever I see it has lost all it's moisture

Aviara

Arachnoknight
They should be able to get their hydration from the carrot slices. Most pet stores sell "water gels" that the crickets can use as a source of water without drowning in a bowl, but those are probably not necessary since you're feeding fresh veggies. There are also commercial cricket foods you can buy that might give them more nutrients than just the carrots, however I doubt that the crickets died in one night from malnutrition. I know some people heat their cricket cages, I have never done so and I have at least decent survival rates, especially with adults. Maybe it was bad luck, or the store you got them from had been keeping them inadequately?

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Hi, I use a small critter keeper to keep my live food for my T's, if u keep them around 75f or 79f with carrot or other veg, they will last a fue weeks, some do die along the way but most will live
good luck.