Need help identifying a spider and tips for keeping it as a pet

eternalemo

Arachnopeon
IMG_20230614_205121.jpg
IMG_20230614_205332.jpg

Sorry for the blurry picture but I don't have a high resolution camera(took this with my low end phone). Found this spider at home, it's about 7-8mm, seems to be a wolf spider, can anyone confirm?

I found it eating the booklice on the walls in my room so I thought of keeping it as a pet. There's a lot of booklice and it was eating non-stop so I stopped it by placing it in a container, afraid that it would overeat. Would appreciate any tips for keeping it alive, thanks.

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Looks like a jumping spider, I couldn't tell you the species but you may be able to identify it by looking up local species where you are. Care is similar for most species, some soil substrate with plenty of faux foliage and bark/branches for it to web and climb on. It'll find a little nook or cranny and build a web nest! Lightly mist the foliage to allow for drinking opportunities, and provide food about the same size as the spider. Others are more experienced and may have more helpful info, but I've had success keeping them this way!

Edub

Arachnopeon
Don't worry about overeating. The spider knows when to stop. The above care tips sounds about right.

hibiscusmile

Arachnopeon
Put him back up there till he eats them all. Try to get a nicer photo so we know what it is.

Wenzer

Arachnosquire
My tentative guess is a female Plexippus paykulli, but agree a clearer picture would be helpful if you are interested in the specific species :)

eternalemo

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the interest everyone, but it's hard because it doesn't keep still when i'm trying to take a picture :rofl:
IMG_20230616_221456.jpg
Here's an even more blurry picture taken from under it, I promise I will keep trying lol

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Thanks for the interest everyone, but it's hard because it doesn't keep still when i'm trying to take a picture :rofl:
View attachment 447679
Here's an even more blurry picture taken from under it, I promise I will keep trying lol
I don’t envy the task of getting a picture from a jumper , good luck 👍.. that pic is horrible imo . Keep trying . your first two are better it has two distinct spots .

eternalemo

Arachnopeon
Alright, I've identified it thanks to the suggestions given by everyone, which narrowed down the list for me. After searching the internet for some time, it's a male hasarius adansoni. It's not very clear in the first two pictures i posted, but there's a white band at the start of its abdomen(looks light brown in the pictures) and its fangs also have white markings.

Garrod

Arachnopeon
Hello! I recently discovered a spider in my home and I'm hoping to get some help with identifying it. Since this post seems to be relatively recent, I thought it would be a good opportunity to ask for assistance as well. Thanks in advance! :)
IMG_3714.jpg IMG_3716.jpg IMG_3720.jpg

Wenzer

Arachnosquire
Hello! I recently discovered a spider in my home and I'm hoping to get some help with identifying it. Since this post seems to be relatively recent, I thought it would be a good opportunity to ask for assistance as well. Thanks in advance! :)
View attachment 448420 View attachment 448421 View attachment 448422
Looks like Marpissa muscosa to me :)

Edit: I may be wrong actually, I misread the location from your profile at first. M. Muscosa are primarily found in the UK or farther north in Europe than Spain, but I suppose it's not impossible?

Last edited:

Garrod

Arachnopeon
Looks like Marpissa muscosa to me :)

Edit: I may be wrong actually, I misread the location from your profile at first. M. Muscosa are primarily found in the UK or farther north in Europe than Spain, but I suppose it's not impossible?
After looking at some photos, I agree that it does resemble Marpissa muscosa, at least to my untrained eye. It appears to be a female since it is larger than 10mm, as far as I know. Males, on the other hand, generally reach a maximum size of 8mm. Correct me if I'm wrong. I really appreciate your help! :happy:

Edit: I did some research about where it can be found, and based on my understanding, Marpissa muscosa can indeed be found in Spain as well. In fact, it is even listed in the database of Spanish fauna: http://iberfauna.mncn.csic.es/showficha.aspx?rank=T&idtax=9133

Last edited:

Edub

Arachnopeon
Doesn't look like Marpissa muscosa to me. I see them every day at my house, and this is not it.

Wenzer

Arachnosquire
After looking at some photos, I agree that it does resemble Marpissa muscosa, at least to my untrained eye. It appears to be a female since it is larger than 10mm, as far as I know. Males, on the other hand, generally reach a maximum size of 8mm. Correct me if I'm wrong. I really appreciate your help! :happy:
I'm actually not sure that this one is M. Muscosa, unfortunately :( I believe my ID was wrong because of both the regional error on my part and some of the physical traits don't quite match what I know of M. Muscosa, which to my knowledge tend to have a bit darker contrasting markings, and some of the markings don't quite match, I think.

I'd rather let someone more knowledgeable correct me if I'm wrong and/or point you in a more accurate direction!

ETA:
Doesn't look like Marpissa muscosa to me. I see them every day at my house, and this is not it.
Good timing!! Haha Thank you for this info! I was pretty sure I was wrong after looking over the pictures again.

Garrod

Arachnopeon
Thank you very much for the clarification. I appreciate your input. Since I'm not familiar with identifying arachnids, I might have gotten confused while looking at the images, need to train my eyes better :depressed:

Edub

Arachnopeon
No worries guys 😀

This is Marpissa muscosa. A bit hard to tell from the pics, but they're pretty flat. They make their nests in crevices, between rocks or as in this case a sheet of metal.

20230530_182731.jpg 20230606_195948.jpg