need advice on the species 'sun tiger'...

ThirteenthAngel

Arachnopeon
So, a girl I work with happened to have a neighbor who ordered one tarantula and ended up getting 30 instead and had to rehome them. I am taking in his last two guys ( or ladies, haven't found out yet which one... ) One is a tarantula I have been wanting VERY much, the B. Smithi, because I have heard that aside from kicking hairs, it is a great species to have. very docile, ect. The second T is a 'brazilian sun tiger'. Now, when I looked it up, I saw that they were called a venezulan sun tiger? anyways- I have 2 chacos, a mean-ass rose hair and a mexi red rump... so, the tiger will be my first arboreal ( spelling? ) species... I know nothing of this spider and any advice would be awesome in regards to keeping up with the little guy/lady and their temperment.... I am getting them tonight, so speedy response would be awesome.. Going to also look it up on the net and see what I can find on there as well, but like it when I hear from the persons mouth... :alien: Much appreciated.... the beginning hobbyist- Aimee ( AKA ThirteenthAngel )

BiGpDaMoNsTa

Arachnopeon
Is it a sling? juvie?
Keeping arboreals is really not much more complicated than terrestrials. If its a sling, a pile vial or similarly taller-than-wide container is good. Give it damp substrate as you would any T, something to climb on/anchor web to; although, even though they are arboreal, my Psalmopoeus slings all burrow into the ground with a tube web extending to the top of the container.
If it's a juvie, same sort of set-up, but bigger obviously, with drier substrate than you would give a sling, something to hide in or under (cork bark!!) and a water dish.
Simple. they are gorgeous, grow quickly, and are truly one of the best tarantulas there is, in my opinion.

ThirteenthAngel

Arachnopeon
The person said that both T's are around 4-5 years old... Thank you so much for the advice... I was reading up on the internet that they are quite aggressive and it was worrying me a little since I have two sons. Obviously it will not be held! LOL!

hamhock 74

Arachnobaron
Common names suck, there are alot of tarantulas named "____ Sun Tiger." Are you 100% sure that it is a Psalmopoeus irminia?

Tarac

Arachnolord
Was going to say the same thing about "sun tiger"- my advice is figure out if that is the T in question, Psalmopoeus irminia, and then google that. Should be ample info here and elsewhere online. Pretty generic as far as care goes, just like a terrestrial but more up space than across space in the enclosure. Grows pretty fast, your's would have to be mature at 4-5 years of age.

Mine had a little adventure yesterday, had an outing around the bathroom because I carelessly turned my back to it for a split second to grab a feeder. Teleported onto the ceiling but then settled down and was easily recovered with a paintbrush and catch cup. She didn't run, just strolled into the cup. Very cooperative. I was surprised that it was so effortless. She's been pretty well behaved otherwise, although I don't handle Ts at all even if they are docile simply because it avoids stress for the T (and possibly me!).

They are lovely, mine makes an awesome tubular web and is very attractive.

ThirteenthAngel

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately, I will not be able to know 100 percent until I obviously get to look at it and make the transaction through my friend on whether or not it is the Psalmopoeus Irminia. My friend knows nothing about T's and I am going through feedback on her part, ect. Once I get the T, I will compare photos online, ect. I am a beginner ( Only been in the hobby for six months or so now ) and hopefully I will be able to decipher the difference. I will be sure to post photos on here as well if I can... have had trouble uploading photos of my g. pulchripes sling and rosea. Anywho- glad to hear yours was so cooperative, Tarac! I have heard they are quick and can be aggressive! Is it true they rely on their bite as defense because they don't flick hairs?

---------- Post added 07-12-2012 at 03:39 PM ----------

Is there a species that is commonly confused with the P. Irminia?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Common names suck, there are alot of tarantulas named "____ Sun Tiger." Are you 100% sure that it is a Psalmopoeus irminia?
I don't know of a single other T with a common name of "______ Sun Tiger". Care to specify.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Unfortunately, I will not be able to know 100 percent until I obviously get to look at it and make the transaction through my friend on whether or not it is the Psalmopoeus Irminia. My friend knows nothing about T's and I am going through feedback on her part, ect. Once I get the T, I will compare photos online, ect. I am a beginner ( Only been in the hobby for six months or so now ) and hopefully I will be able to decipher the difference. I will be sure to post photos on here as well if I can... have had trouble uploading photos of my g. pulchripes sling and rosea. Anywho- glad to hear yours was so cooperative, Tarac! I have heard they are quick and can be aggressive! Is it true they rely on their bite as defense because they don't flick hairs?
Is there a species that is commonly confused with the P. Irminia?
Nice catches. I started with right the same T's into the hobby and about the same time ago. However, I did my research long before I eventually bought them.
Now, you say your friend "knows nothing about T's" but she got 30?! Sounds weird, apoligies.

Either way, common names are mostly made-up to have something easier than their latin description. The latter, however, is the ONLY correct from when talking about T's. Everyone will know what you're talking about using latin names, most will raise an eyebrow when using the common names, though ;)

Regarding your last question there - P. irminia is P. irminia, but some people confuse them with P. cambridgei (although those two species look NOTHING like each other) - irminias are velvety black with bright orange stripes, while cambridgeis display mainly moss-green colors with a few shades of black, grey and the orange "nike stripes" on the feet. Post a pic of the T's once you have them...