Need a T doctor

heering80

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Have you ever noticed anything like this in your T's lugns?

It doesn't look like a mould. I'm puzzled..

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have no idea except that the area looks ruptured... I mean that's what the book lungs look like internally, on a molt....

Any others?

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is it freshly molted? If so it will probably correct itself. Do you have a mite problem? They might be infesting the lung. Good luck.

heering80

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nope, it's not freshly molted nor there is mites..

I fed it a lot just recently because it was very thin when I bought it. Those lugns have sort of opened during the fattening process. Maybe that white stuff is just normal "lugn material"..

Otherwise she seems to be healthy and eats like a horse, so I actually don't think that there's anything severely wrong with it.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
it looks like a normal lung slit to me. i have seen many individuals have different size openings. especially in the larger species, and as you pointed out, really fat ones. i've also seen individuals which appear to have no lungs at all because the lung opening is so narrow.

-Lonnie

Stagger-Lee

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
heering80 said:
Have you ever noticed anything like this in your T's lugns?

It doesn't look like a mould. I'm puzzled..
id need a coupel more closer up pics to be 100% sure but ive seen what looks very much like that with M.velvetosomma, T.blondi, P.antinous, A.versicolor and other wild caught SoAm imports comming out of high humidity enviroments, what u see is part of the old interior piece of the booklung that ripped off the exuvia during the/a previous molt.

ok understand we use to order like one or two dozen of this species and that from a major importer of good reputation and with the ones that i had this type of bad molt with ive noticed a couple common factors, i CAN NOT SAY FOR CERTINE if these factors are a/the cause or jsut coincidental but all of the spiders that ive had it happen with had it happen the first molt in my care, soemtimes this was with in days others as long as 5 months. all of them were SoAm species collected from high humidity envornments and listed as new arrivals, which says to me that in the time between them being bought by the exporter in SoAm and us recieving them from the importer here in the US that they were subjected for months n months (and in some cases even more months) to either orrably dry conditions with no water supply for a good portion of that time if at all or to overly wet stuffy conditions but my bet is on dry since they didnt come out of the molt as a fungi powder puffs. :eek:
alot people say that Ts wont drown themselves in their water dishes let me just dispell this common belief here and now, to our horror we discovered while unpackign and settign up the first of the freshly imported M.velvetosomma we ordered that time that if you give them a water dish/container large enough/deep enough (little condiment cups even!) for them to shove their face in and submerge up past their book lungs that they dive right in liek a man on fire and then appear to open their lungs up to the water in what we could only assume was a desprate overly eager attempt to rehumidify their lungs and heal the damage/stop the pain caused by the long exposure to the dry air/conditions.

in some of these bad molt cases legs/pedipalps woudl also get stuck in the old exuvium but the book lung thing was the most common problem with them, when i woudl find one i would go mad trying desprately, for hours sometimes, to save the T from its old exuvia. most cases ended in me beign able to carefully remove most of the old book lung pieces with fine tipped tweezers but ones with stuck leggs n such usually ended in disaster if i didnt find them asap and the leg didnt slip out easily when i held it while they worked to pull free.

Attachments

heering80

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow, that sounds dangerous :(

When I bought it, it was in super wet container. I believe it is captive bred in sweden. We are neighbours with the swedes, so posting from there shouldn't be a problem. The shop that I bought it from told me that it is a reputable dealer that they are dealing with, "professional" even ;)

There was one exuvium with it in the container, but it was totally whacked to pieces. Coudn't tell anything just watching it so I ditched it.

So if I got this right, I should keep it in high humidity until next molt or atleast during the next molt. And shouldn't give it a water dish? I allready gave it one that it certainly won't fit in so I think I'll let it keep it.

I try to get better pics but right now she's in a not-so-photographic position.

Last edited:

heering80

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Stagger-Lee said:
...my bet is on dry since they didnt come out of the molt as a fungi powder puffs. :eek:
Oh and I couldn't quite understand that line :?

Greaper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Looks like a peice of the old exuvium still on the spider.

Stagger-Lee

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well that depends on what type of spider it is? it coudl be just as simple as lack of water intake causeign it or it could be that the thick skinned humidity lovers just cant handle dryer conditions or it coudl be some other reason i dont know causeign this problem. as its been kept in a humid enviroment i woudl not worry in the least about it drowning and dependign on the species it may like a big water sourse, its the rare fresh imports that do that when they are first offered water after commign in.

heering80 said:
So if I got this right, I should keep it in high humidity until next molt or atleast during the next molt. And shouldn't give it a water dish? I allready gave it one that it certainly won't fit in so I think I'll let it keep it.

I try to get better pics but right now she's in a not-so-photographic position.

Stagger-Lee

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
heering80 said:
Oh and I couldn't quite understand that line :?
well there was this one batch of fresh imported "C.paganus" i got years back, they all seemd to be doing quite for about a month then they started molting and i guess durign the export/import prosses they were in orrable conditions and got infected by some sort of fungus cause every one of them (about 14) molted out into a white fuzzy spider shaped fungal bloom, ive never seen or heard of this happening before that or after truely strange