Need a roach and ISO ID

keydiver

Arachnopeon
Hey, this is my first post to arachnoboards, and I'd like to say that I'll be spending some time on here getting to learn as much as possible. I am big into fish tanks, and recently into poison dart frogs. So I was digging around outside just for the hell of it and gathered up a bunch of local isopods and small burrowing roaches. I would like an ID if possible. Also, can they be used as feeders to poison dart frogs or freshwater fish? Thanks you. The male roaches have brown wings.

Attachments

Meecht

Arachnosquire
It's usually not recommended to use wild caught insects to feed your pets because you don't know where the critter has been.

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't know what the isopod is, but the roach is a surinam roach. Those aren't male roaches with the wings, those are adult female surinam roaches. They are pathogenic, which means there are no males and females produce without mating. You can capture a good amount and raise and breed them yourself, elminating the danger of wild caught insects.

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The roach is Pycnoscelus surinamensis, a great feeder. The isopod is Porcellionides pruinosus.

fugimugim

Arachnopeon
Red runner roaches got out in my house. I think theres only like ten escaped live in belfast ireland. If they breed my family will flip. How do i exterminate them . ?? please help me :wall:

keydiver

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the ID's everybody! Since these roaches are diggers, I have them in a plastic shoebox with ABG soil that I have been misting. What should I feed them, and how many adults would be recommended to get the culture going?

In vivaria, would they contribute to my poison dart frogs food source, or would they be more useful as a janitorial service?