Naturalistic set ups

tryme

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi guys sorry to create a thread just for this but where can I see some natural looking setups?

tryme

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hmm I can't find it I can only find members gallerys etc.

MorganD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Check out any of Robc's enclosures...go to his page on youtube "tarantulaguy1976" I beleive...and he's got TONS of videos, many enclosure tutorials and things like that. His setups are beautiful, just gorgeous.

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Check the link Spiderfield posted.
There are some outstanding enclosures there that are just beautiful! It is a really long thread and you could spend tons of time there. The absolute best enclosures are by folks who seldom post their enclosures so you might miss them. (I wish they would post more). :)

My personal fav list of natural setups: :worship:
The Natural
Taliban27
AlainL
Steven
Janet
Maikardaaion

vvx

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I often wonder what those enclosures look like in 6 months time. It would be interesting to see an enclosure thread "after 6 months" to see how they faired.

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I often wonder what those enclosures look like in 6 months time. It would be interesting to see an enclosure thread "after 6 months" to see how they faired.
My guess is they would look the same with added webbing. :)

james.m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thats a good idea; or for that matter simply 2 weeks later.

Mr. Gone

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thats a good idea; or for that matter simply 2 weeks later.
I don't get this. Are you implying that adding live plants is going to doom an enclosure?

I often see this bias against naturalistic setups on these boards, and I think its very exaggerated. Yes, a naturalistic enclosure is a little harder to keep balanced, but its worth it. Besides, just because its harder to keep than a fake plant tank doesn't mean it is hard. You do have to take care of more than the T, but since Ts are one of the easiest animals to take care of anyway, that isn't difficult. I wouldn't recommend diving in head first with planted tanks to someone without some experience with plants, but that doesn't mean it's doomed to fail. If you go slow, do your research, and be patient, it is a beautiful combination that is well worth the added trouble (if you can call it that) of having to tend/raise the plants.

So maybe you aren't interested in plants, that's cool. Just don't let your reason be that you think they're nearly impossible, way too hard, and more or less doomed to fail eventually. Lots of us have success with planted tanks. They work fine if you know how to keep them balanced. Just a tiny amount of maintenance, and checking in on the tank (yay! another reason to check out the T!) daily is all there is to it if you match the right plants with the right T.

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't get this. Are you implying that adding live plants is going to doom an enclosure?

I often see this bias against naturalistic setups on these boards, and I think its very exaggerated. Yes, a naturalistic enclosure is a little harder to keep balanced, but its worth it. Besides, just because its harder to keep than a fake plant tank doesn't mean it is hard. You do have to take care of more than the T, but since Ts are one of the easiest animals to take care of anyway, that isn't difficult. I wouldn't recommend diving in head first with planted tanks to someone without some experience with plants, but that doesn't mean it's doomed to fail. If you go slow, do your research, and be patient, it is a beautiful combination that is well worth the added trouble (if you can call it that) of having to tend/raise the plants.

So maybe you aren't interested in plants, that's cool. Just don't let your reason be that you think they're nearly impossible, way too hard, and more or less doomed to fail eventually. Lots of us have success with planted tanks. They work fine if you know how to keep them balanced. Just a tiny amount of maintenance, and checking in on the tank (yay! another reason to check out the T!) daily is all there is to it if you match the right plants with the right T.
I use a natural setup for my white's treefrog, have been for 13 years. The key is to use a good florecent light and small growing but hardy plants. I'm particularly partial to Heart leaf philodenderon and small species of ferns. :)

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer

Wow, inferrence-city!!!! And they say caffeine is a healthy part of our diet.......:p
I believe James.m was pointing out how some T's (ie: GBBs and OBTs) web the holy crap out of their enclosures, and that it would be interesting to see a natural setup with one of these redecorators living in them. Please take notice that until YOU brought it up, nobody said ANYTHING about plants. No need to get our panties in a twist over a simple one-line post. He wasn't attacking those of us who keep live plants.......just those of us who keep live plants WITH an OBT in the same enclosure!!!! {D

I personally think it would be interesting to see a thread of people's setups before and after. It would offer up alot of insight to others who are interested to see what they're in for with having a natural enclosure setup of their own. 6 months is a good spacing of time to let the T go to town....unless you have a webber....then James' suggestion of 2 weeks would be appropriate.

Mr. Gone

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
calm down

Wow, inferrence-city!!!! And they say caffeine is a healthy part of our diet.......:p
I believe James.m was pointing out how some T's (ie: GBBs and OBTs) web the holy crap out of their enclosures, and that it would be interesting to see a natural setup with one of these redecorators living in them. Please take notice that until YOU brought it up, nobody said ANYTHING about plants. No need to get our panties in a twist over a simple one-line post. He wasn't attacking those of us who keep live plants.......just those of us who keep live plants WITH an OBT in the same enclosure!!!! {D

I personally think it would be interesting to see a thread of people's setups before and after. It would offer up alot of insight to others who are interested to see what they're in for with having a natural enclosure setup of their own. 6 months is a good spacing of time to let the T go to town....unless you have a webber....then James' suggestion of 2 weeks would be appropriate.
I think you're in inference-city, because neither he, nor vvx said anything about web, Obts, or Gbbs! If that's what they meant, I didn't get that out of it. I prefaced my thoughts with "I don't know if this is what you're getting at, but..." That's because due to the sparsity of their posts, I wasn't sure if that's what they were implying. I didn't claim anyone was ATTACKING anyone else...only that there is a bias on these forums, and I was trying to address it. My panties certainly aren't in a twist and you are the one who needs to chill.

I've gone back and re-read my post and I don't see what is so inciting about it. If I misunderstood james and vvx's posts, I'm sorry. That happens sometimes with one liners on the internet.

CUebbing

Arachnopeon
I'd really like to see more 'after' pictures as well. My aphnopelma's have a tendency to take a setup I put together and make it look like a bulldozer came through. :)

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
First, i consider a naturalistic enclosure to be a planted enclosure. Not one person mentioned that they were referring to heavy webbers, so without that being implied, there was nothing to state that was the subject being discussed.

Here are a few time lapse pics of our (myself and Mr. Gone) naturalistic planted tanks.

This is the tank for our H. sp.Vietnam when it was first set up in Nov. '08.

end of May '09

Here it is presently, we have added live moss instead of the sphagnum

Here is the tank of our A. metallica when first set up in Nov. 08

Again in May '09 with a bromeliad and wandering jew added and the pothos that failed to thrive taken out:

and present/ today, live moss has been added instead of sphagnum and some of the pothos left in has decided to thrive again:

The plants do not add that much upkeep and if the T is in a 'sit and do nothing' mood, you have something pretty to look at.

blix

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Look for the user Taliban's pictures in the "Enclosure picture" thread in image section, they are hands down the best naturalistic setups by a mile I have ever seen.