Naming your Tarantulas?

MuddledMuticus

Arachnopeon
I personally don't name them and just keep the scientific names when referring to my Ts. Always thought it's pointless to name your T, since there's no bonding. They will never react when you call them by their name...so..why? Same reason why i would never name my fish, if i would keep any fish. But...to each their own.
I haven’t named any of my Ts in 25+ years. I do refer to them with their scientific name and a number if I have multiple specimens.

joossa

Arachnobaron
I have about 20 and all but the unsexed slings have names. They may not be attached to me, but I'm attached to them. They are my pets and not my specimens or stock, so they all get names.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
All of my critters have names. I enjoy picking out names for each one...it's a process! Allows me to be creative and it's fun.

Benzen

Arachnopeon
Geez, i had no idea this is such a sensitive topic for people. :astonished:
And that people assume that nameless pets are seen as objects or "stock" by their keepers. They have names eg. their respective scientific names - that's enough for me. Giving a spider human-like names like Elivira or Mike or whatever...? Just as weird as naming your Car or Bike. Nameless doesn't mean careless, and i would be bummed if something bad happens to my spiders...but i think i made my point clear. Sorry if my thread offended anyone, wasn't my intention.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
I don't think you offended anyone we are all very passionate about our spoods on here that's all n at the end of the day each to their own , some name some don't I know lots of excellent keepers on here that don't name their t's really as long as the spider has proper care doesn't matter if they're named or not .

If you have a Davus pentaloris it's required by law to be called Dave regardless :rofl:

Naming in our household normally takes place over a period of days, weeks and on occasion months. You'll find one that either sticks or fits eventually.
My Davus is called Deetra as my son is David 😉

Minty

@londontarantulas
I gave them names initially but I ended up thinking of them by their species name in my head, so I don't bother naming them any more.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I don't name them, never have never will. They are called what their acctual binomial name is and nothing else. Makes it easier to deal with revisions and name changes too, because you don't get attached to certain names.

Unless i am joking i even try to avoid common lables like Lp, GBB, OBT, Agen, Hmac, Avic etc. which i consider a bad habit.

Gests have tried to name my spiders on a few occasions, but i wont have any of that.

milky

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For me is 50-50. Some of them have names some don't.

heering80

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
We name ours. My wife's really passionate about it. She spent couple of evenings going through mythologies from different parts of the world searching any characters that had something to do with spiders. They are not all named after mythology, though. For example, we have a traffic sign here in Finland that warns about construction work. It says "maan ajoa" which means "soil transport" and warns about slow moving dump trucks. So I thougt there's a fitting name to a P. muticus. I just made it sound little more hawaian (in my head), and twisted it to "Maan A'joa". Then there's Linc after Lincoln Burrows from that tv-series Prison Break. Yes, it's been assigned to a burrowing H. gigas..

Actually it's about time to come up with three more names. My collection's about to grow ☺

I understand it very well that some don't want to name their T's. But I also think, if a large human experiment was conducted, that I might come along better with those that do. In work life I always wonder how people have strength to grind with numbers in the financial department year in year out. To me it seems so boring. But maybe they are also the people not naming their T's, who knows 🤣

Nibbles

Arachnopeon
Personally I did name mine, but I only use the scientific names when I’m talking about them here

inkedtopaz

Arachnopeon
I named mine cos it's easier to say Calypso than stutter over the scientific name (grammostola pulchripes) and just confuse whoever I'm speaking to more.

NatalieMichaela

Arachnopeon
For me its more like i NEED a name for every single animal i have. Some of my friends dont know who i am talking about when i tell them "my Acanthoscurria geniculata" but they know exactly who i am talking about when i tell them about Helga. :D
Plus it feels kinda weird to me not to name my pets. :D

ChaniLB520

Arachnosquire
For me its more like i NEED a name for every single animal i have. Some of my friends dont know who i am talking about when i tell them "my Acanthoscurria geniculata" but they know exactly who i am talking about when i tell them about Helga. :D
Same here! The only major exception is when I have a boatload of the same species, like schooling tropical fish, or my colony of pet hisser roaches. Then they get called things like "the crew", "the guys", etc. :rofl:

Benzen

Arachnopeon
I don't consider Tarantulas "pets"...since there's no petting involved. No bonding. Almost no interaction at all. It's a hobby, a display animal - which deserves the best care regardless of course. I like my spiders, but i don't love them like my cats and dog, which are actually real pets, who all have names, who can and will love you back and bond with you. But i guess this is a semantic argument.

yabaidesuyone

Arachnosquire
I personally don't name them and just keep the scientific names when referring to my Ts. Always thought it's pointless to name your T, since there's no bonding. They will never react when you call them by their name...so..why? Same reason why i would never name my fish, if i would keep any fish. But...to each their own.
They don't have any emotional bond capabilities, but we do, I love and care for my T's a lot even tho they just wanna be left alone.
So it's just me and myself enjoying my T's and their names xd