n. chromatus spermatheca

kman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Does anyone have a nice shot of a female and male? I have a 4.5" that molted last night and I was sure it was a boy but now that I got a microscope I'm seeing 2 bunny ears but they aren't raised and kind of small. I'd like some pictures for comparison if anyone has one.

Cheers

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you can see the "bunny ears" that means girl. Sounds like you have a girl.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
if you have to use a microscope to see stuff (at 4.5"), it's not a girl. the flap should be clearly visible.

remember, boys have parts too ya know ;)

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Here is a 6"+ shot of my females:

close-up

kman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's exactly why I'm skeptical. I can clearly see them on a 4" G. pulchripes but not on this one. I do know some Ts have smaller parts and I do need a microscope to see them on 4" pokies but terrestrial ones are always bigger.

Here are some pictures. Not very good but I haven't figured out taking pics through a microscope yet.

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Here's a shot of a male, molt was his final one upon maturing.
Notice the obvious lack of uterus externus and bursa copulatrix. Hard to see in this shot but there's a gonopore. The dense patch of epiandous fusillae attachment points can clearly be seen from this side as well.
I have outside ventral pics somewhere too, if you want.

Bill

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
That's interesting. I always thought males would have nothing at all on the insides of their molt!

Anyway, here's my Girl (right? That last post has got me worried, and mine looks nothing like robc's). It was attatched to a sizable flap though, so I still think it's a girl. The molt was 5" DLS.

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Anyway, here's my Girl (right?
The flap looks like it got pretty ripped up so it's not real discernable but that's female. The bases of the spermathecae on yours are tapered out at the bottom and connected in the middle, the male thingy's are straight (or even go inward a bit) and unconnected.

Bill

Last edited:

Kirk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The flap looks like it got pretty ripped up so it's not real discernable but that's female. The bases of the spermathecae on yours are tapered out at the bottom and connected in the middle, the male thingy's are straight and unconnected.

Bill
I've seen these male structures labeled as accessory organs. Any idea of their function?

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've seen these male structures labeled as accessory organs. Any idea of their function?
Not a clue, and I've asked many times. My first post here back in '05 was an inquiry as to whether my MM A. seemani could be a hermaphrodite as I found what looked to me like under developed spermathecae on him. The answer I got then was "male organs" and that's about all I've heard since. Not sure if no one knows or those that do long ago tired of explaining to the masses...

Bill

Kirk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Not a clue, and I've asked many times. My first post here back in '05 was an inquiry as to whether my MM A. seemani could be a hermaphrodite as I found what looked to me like under developed spermathecae on him. The answer I got then was "male organs" and that's about all I've heard since. Not sure if no one knows or those that do long ago tired of explaining to the masses...

Bill
I've also seen them in Brachypelma vagans. I'd be surprised if no one has ever examined them histologically.

kman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Based on the pictures posted here and the fact that these two organs are very small and attached directly to the skin and do not tapper I have concluded he is still a he.

Thanks for all the advice.