Myths you've heard about T's

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
solaceofwinter said:
ive heard they can jump like 8 ft. lol
Its more like six feet. Seen it happen when a blood thirsty P.irminia went for a guy's jugular.

Though I've heard their venom can dissolve flesh.

Last edited:

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's a good one, G. rosea's venom will make you hallucinate, I actually got into a screaming argument over this with an "acquaintance". Shortly afterward I bought his poor T so he's quite trying to make it bite him. Dumb a$$

Marcelo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The Classic Mexican comment !!!!

If you kill a tarantula, hundreds of slings will appear, so you have to burning them with rubbing alcohol... LOL

I hear also slings climbs its mother T for protection, same as scorpions.

bananaman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
that reminded me of one i heard as i child... a tarantula can crawl up you while you sleep and "sting" you and then lay her eggsac inside you... the place will get swollen and eventually burst out with hundreds of slings coming out all over you... (probably to kill you :D)

:eek: what the hell?!

demicheru

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
dangerous T myths

Well, i personally think that the single most dangerous myth regarding Tarantulas is the one we tell ourselves...
"this is the last T i will buy..."
dangerous for the wallet, anyway...

nine livez

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Gigus said:
LMAo killing you instantly/ laying eggs in your ear when your asleep and escaping for the sole purpose of killing me

lol tht one is my favourite myth also( T's are so agressive they will chase u untill they can attack) <edit - read the rules>...... just buy a good book, i did.....

Last edited by a moderator:

bugs4life

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lover of 8 legs said:
You don't think that URTICATING HAIRS are significantly hazardous to your health???:wall: :wall:
I've never had too much of a problem with urticating hairs. I've had them flung in my face before, so yeah it sucked. It itched and burned for hours but I didn't DIE and that's all that matters to me. And if I get any on my skin, I find putting lotion on it and wiping it off with a cloth usually gets rid of all of them.

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
demicheru said:
Well, i personally think that the single most dangerous myth regarding Tarantulas is the one we tell ourselves...
"this is the last T i will buy..."
dangerous for the wallet, anyway...

LOL, yeah, the noobie that gets on the boards and says, I only want one. We can call it the "I can stop at getting just one." myth. 37 Ts and counting later....:8o

tima

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
IguanaMama said:
LOL, yeah, the noobie that gets on the boards and says, I only want one. We can call it the "I can stop at getting just one." myth. 37 Ts and counting later....:8o
LOL...I was in trouble from the start. I tried to get a G. aureo and a B. albo, but the dealer i was going through was out of B. albo juvies, so I asked for 3 slings instead. So I saterted saying "I only want 2" and ended up with 4...now I'm up to 25, and looking for "just a couple more." ;)

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Here's a rumor I keep hearing........

"G. rosea are mean, pink and evil!"

I have like 300+ rosies and not one is mean so IDK!

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
also for code-monkey

You can keep T blondi in a bone-dry cage, as long as it has a water dish.;) ;P

Nate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
TheNatural said:
8 - Most colorful, most dangerous! (thats makes some sense, not for Ts but in general..).
This seems to be a fact among T’s too (currently in my mind).

When I think of color I think of OW species and they seem to have the habit of being more aggressive and have *stronger* venom to the NW counter parts.

Steelweb

Arachnopeon
Heard, if a tarantula gets loose in the house, it will sit and wait seeking out the heat given off by the human body. When sensed will leap out and attack. Also so was instructed that my avics venom is strong enough to take down like 6 elephants. (these were both quoted by individuals at local pet shops)

bugs4life

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Steelweb said:
Heard, if a tarantula gets loose in the house, it will sit and wait seeking out the heat given off by the human body. When sensed will leap out and attack. Also so was instructed that my avics venom is strong enough to take down like 6 elephants. (these were both quoted by individuals at local pet shops)
Oh yes, best watch out for those avics! A full grown bunny rabbit doesn't even come close to a snack for mine ;P ;)

TheNatural

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nate said:
This seems to be a fact among T’s too (currently in my mind).
Thats an interesting point.

in nature contrasting colors and paterns are usually a sign of "danger" and "be alert" but also other animals copy this strategy to simulate these signs.

I don't think exactly the color factor in Ts is a termometer to measure how poisoness they are as we have many colored Ts that dont have a potent venom, Brachypelma are the best example, maybe. IMO this rule seems to make less sense in Ts comparing to other animals. Maybe because they are more hiding than showing colors, way of defense. Maybe the colors are more used for reproduction?.... :? I dont know.

Experts? :confused:

Last edited:

tima

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Steelweb said:
Also so was instructed that my avics venom is strong enough to take down like 6 elephants. (these were both quoted by individuals at local pet shops)
It is strong enough to take down like 6 elephants. They just neglected to tell you that this would take several gallons of venom.{D

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I had a LPS worker swear to me that T.blondis were on the list of "Ten Most Deadly Spiders." I said "Oh, no it's not. It might bite you, but it's not going to do any serious damage." And he said "You go home and look it up... I guarantee it'll be there... Ten Deadliest! That thing could kill you!"

Of course, some weeks he says that he owns several T's and over 30 reptiles, and other weeks he never mentions it. The guy's an idiot.

In hindsight, I should have asked him if I could purchase an Eastern Diamondback. "Oh, you don't carry deadly venomous snakes in this store? They don't issue permits for that? Then how the <EDIT>' are you selling one of the 10 deadliest spiders?!"

Maybe next time.

I don't know which is worse? That guy, or the other employee that tells some children that the tarantulas will throw hairs in your eyes to blind you on purpose, and tells others that the store takes the venom out of the tarantulas so that they can't hurt you.

Last edited by a moderator:

sammyp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the best one I've heard to date was that there is a species of T that, when threatened, raises itself up on "tip-toe" and spins like a top until it falls over!:D Yeah, presumably whatever was threatening it in the first place eats it at this point....{D