Mystery T

moghue

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello everyone. Just need help id'ing this T. Any help is appreciated. I picked it up at my local pet store. They don't sell T's and someone dropped it off. They know I like T's so they took it in and let me know I could come get it. They aren't sure what kind it is as the person that gave it to them didn't know.

image.jpg

Meezerkoko

Arachnoknight
Ooooh its gorgeous whatever it is! It kinda looks like a mix between a B. albopilosum and a B. abiceps except its carapace is so irridecent gold. Like I said its just gorgeous!

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Aphonopelma somethingorother. Most likely WC from somewhereorother.

Pretty cool that your local petstore looks out for ya like that. If i read right, they DONT sell ts, but somebody GAVE it to them and they only took it in because they knew you collect? That sounds like a decent petstore

moghue

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Pretty sure it's not wild caught at all as its maybe 1 1/2 or 2 inches and I have had it for a while. It's molted a few times since I got it. So I'm pretty sure it's cb. Plus no tarantulas in my state lol

Boatman

Arachnosquire
Looks like juvie B. vagans to me. Here's mine for comparison:

1360889006066.jpg

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah, i guess there are a few Brachys it could be.. i agree with suzuki about needing a clearer pic too. If it is still that small it may be hard to get a good ID on it by pic alone. Maybe with another molt or two it may start lookin like somethin different

Last edited:

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Brachypelma kahlenbergi i'd say. take a pic of spermathecae for accurate ID though

SabrinaBoost

Arachnopeon
Vagans or Albiceps. Either way it looks to be in premolt so you will find out very shortly whether it's carapace is lighter or darker in color after it molts and will be able to identify it 100%.

Tarac

Arachnolord
Doesn't look like albiceps to me at all, my female was very much a cooler and lighter gold from early on. Maybe vagans/sabulosum/angustum. Or Aphonopelma which was my first thought as well.

Note that just because no tarantulas are in Delaware to collect in the wild doesn't mean a WC tarantula can't be found at or donated to a pet store. We don't have Grammastola rosea in Florida but there are countless WC specimens for sale. Even small ones. There are lots of baby assorted Avicularia that make their way into the pet trade, for example. Nobody can even tell for sure what they are or if they are the same species or not, just that they all were collected in or around X country- sold on the wholesale list as "WC Avicularia juvenile mix- Costa Rica" quite literally. How many things you can buy in a pet store that are collected from the wild of another country I can't even imagine. If it's Aphonopelma it doesn't even have to be imported.

I think spermatheca and molt, as suggested, are the best hope for positive ID.