Mystery obt death?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I’m not sure what got it if mites or something , it’s fangs looked oddly red .
A3DA4102-AC83-4863-AB2F-4AA2831BB167.jpeg CEC09457-3E46-4E56-9086-4206DF48F203.jpeg fangs look odd , and if refused food all last month . I tried every type of food .very depressing as it’s my last obt ,it was rather small 4” .
It was perfectly healthy, prior to rehouse except not eating. I don’t have it’s last molt.
I just rehoused it but didn’t see any issues possible humidity too high but substrate was not wet or damp. This shouldn’t hurt a Obt.

Last edited:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Pictures of your setup would be more useful, a partially decomposed spider wont help if you aim to determine the cause of death. For the record, if you were to see mites on a dead tarantula they aren't the cause...just scavengers feasting on the now dead spider, its a common misconception.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Pictures of your setup would be more useful, a partially decomposed spider wont help if you aim to determine the cause of death. For the record, if you were to see mites on a dead tarantula they aren't the cause...just scavengers feasting on the now dead spider, its a common misconception.
I can get a pic but old enclosure is already dismantled and in cleaning. New one it’s only been ina. Few days I noticed a small mold spot tho .

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Are you keeping it dry or moist? Hows the vent, etc...

Get those pics up man, will make things much easier.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Looks on the wet side but not too damp . Was in aboreal set up most of the time I had this T , was giving a shot at terrestrial. FC12344F-603F-4901-ACB8-9693DFEC1531.jpeg FC65ABE3-4673-46FA-A080-2FC609393E24.jpeg
Lots of venting on sides .

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Under closer examination the right fang is clearly broken somehow.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
They like it bone dry
Out of curiosity what substrate are you using?
I personally do 2 rows for arid species
IT was bone try , until 3 days before it died when I put it In here. I don’t get good lighting in basement, broken fang Is why it wouldn’t eat.
Is Dubia shell hard enough to do this ????
I was just going to let new container dry out on it’s own woulda took a week.

Last edited:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
More sub that it could burrow down into would have been ideal, strange to see no webbing in the enclosure at all...very unusual for this sp.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
More sub that it could burrow down into would have been ideal, strange to see no webbing in the enclosure at all...very unusual for this sp.
No webbing was odd I’d expect webbed after 3 days a little it was sickly.
Top soil ground fine , maybe some coco fiber in soil not much. Moss usually too to get rid of any corseness of top soil . More for bigger Ts.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
No webbing was odd I’d expect webbed after 3 days a little it was sickly.
Top soil ground fine , maybe some coco fiber in soil not much. Moss usually too to get rid of any corseness of top soil . More for bigger Ts.
More sub depth was the point, these will almost always burrow if they can.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
More sub depth was the point, these will almost always burrow if they can.
Yeah your right maybe that was my error the burrowing one did bad. I think I had a weak genetic strand of obt they are normal a lot bigger and hardiest. My g rosea put it to shame and was bigger.
Next obt I bet maybe be will house like obligate burrowers.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
They are burrowers, so that would probably be a good idea. I also keep mine really dry. The top soil in your pic looks soaked.
Yea any ideas how it coulda broke a fang? That probably is why it didn’t eat . .I swore it killed a roach once but also didn’t eat it. Could it break fang on an male dubia???

Brianhog

Arachnopeon
Yea any ideas how it coulda broke a fang? That probably is why it didn’t eat . .I swore it killed a roach once but also didn’t eat it. Could it break fang on an male dubia???
One of of my T's broke both fangs and forced a molt after a couple months. In this case, the only way of feeding was alteration of their food (splitting cricket/superworm down the back), moving it around with a paperclip, etc. The T had the determination to take down prey though, just not the gear at the time. Still not sure how it lost its fangs tbh, i rehoused it after observation and its been fine little terrestrial bulldozer since.

ChrisAnderson

Arachnopeon
I hate to say this but to me at least it sounds like there was some kind of infection from the new tank. Although depending on the condition of the old one it could have gotten it from there as well. What was the condition of the old tank when you relocated her? Also what do you feed her? I'm sure that if she was fed baby mice or something like that she would have been infected easily.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I hate to say this but to me at least it sounds like there was some kind of infection from the new tank. Although depending on the condition of the old one it could have gotten it from there as well. What was the condition of the old tank when you relocated her? Also what do you feed her? I'm sure that if she was fed baby mice or something like that she would have been infected easily.
Dubia roaches but in fighting phorid fly infestation I saw none even near the dead obt.! That’s why it’s a mystery, broke fang tho I never saw til death . It seemed healthy just shocking maybe just cuz it stopped eating but hey can go a molt no food???

violetsun5

Arachnopeon
This substrate looks really wet, and not near deep enough. I keep my OBT in dry coconut coir at least 6 inches deep, and it's just a baby. It's possible it just didn't do well in those conditions, or that it had some molting trouble.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
Are you sure it didn't sneak in a molt recently? I don't know why the fangs would be red otherwise. How long ago did you rehouse?
Also, I'm pretty sure a T can manage to eat with one broken fang. The sub does look really wet in that enclosure.

It's never a bad idea to post a picture of a new enclosure for feedback before you actually rehouse, and it's always a good idea to let the new enclosure sit for a day or two (or however long it takes) to let the sub dry out before putting an arid species into it.

Sorry for the loss, man.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Are you sure it didn't sneak in a molt recently? I don't know why the fangs would be red otherwise. How long ago did you rehouse?
Also, I'm pretty sure a T can manage to eat with one broken fang. I doubt T would eat it’s molt and the dubia drowning couldn’t have.
The sub does look really wet in that enclosure.

It's never a bad idea to post a picture of a new enclosure for feedback before you actually rehouse, and it's always a good idea to let the new enclosure sit for a day or two (or however long it takes) to let the sub dry out before putting an arid species into it.

Sorry for the loss, man.
I looked everywhere for molt , can’t remember we’re I cleaned cage out. Roaches kept dying in its water dish , it was meant to be a temporary enclosure. I thought container would dry out quickly, lots of air holes.
It’s just so unusual, I’ll be sure to ask question first but never got much help on chilbrachys wich got stuck in molt probably because its enclosure was too dry .
Can’t trust online care sheets, possibly just lack of sleep clouded my memory. Not aloud to get 8 hours sleep woken up on 5-6 hours or as little as 3.
I get most care right. I’ll be posting a thread for nhando.