Mysterious P. Ornata Death

adbdasT

Arachnopeon
Sad to say, but the joy of my collection has mysteriously passed :confused: I am so confused at this point. I rehoused him while in premolt, to make room for his new size. He went on to his back on the second day of being in the new enclosure to start molting, but never turned back over. From what I saw, molt started alright - on his back, legs wiggling slowly, etc. Got back from work, still on back - no wiggling. Left him in that position for the next day, misted, but nothing. He didn't even slightly slip out of the old exoskeleton.

Raised him to about 6" from a 3/4" sling...new enclosure was spectacular - 10 gal. vert with plenty of cork bark and leaves.

I cleaned his new enclosure before I introduced him into it with all organic cleaning materials (vinegar/water solution).

Since I have this thread going, i want to voice a couple questions I have about keeping Poeci's...

1.) Has anybody else noticed that poecilotheria get bored of an all cricket diet?
2.) Does anybody know of a good feeder roach dealers? Or any other feeder bug dealer other than crickets?
3.) Have any pokey keepers out there noticed that their pokey's are more active when their cages are colder (58-65 degrees F, 65-75% humidity)?

Thanks for any and all empathy...this sucks. ;)

SterlingAce

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Im so sorry to hear about your loss. You had a truly stunning boy there. :( Im afraid I can offer no ideas as to why you lost him.
My pokie (ruffilata) is only about 3.5" now but she loves superworms,the worm and the beetle so give that a try.I have noticed that she is more active when its cooler,perhaps this is because they are trying to find a warmer spot?

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that isnt really look right for dead animal, that look like a molting position, if it 6" sumtimes they take time to molt
are you sure its dead?
all legs are so relaxed, if it wus dead front legs would be curled
this dont look right

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My P. regalis died like that also, but she wasn't on her back. She made the hammock to molt and just stayed there and died. She was like 6.5 inch and still growing. Her sister molted perfectly and now is 7 inches. Anastasia, not always when a T dies get her legs curled...
I know how it feels... I hate these deaths....:(
She was on a cricket / roach diet like most of my T's.

Best luck with your other T's!

Pato.

flamingo-kid1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
that isnt really look right for dead animal, that look like a molting position, if it 6" sumtimes they take time to molt
are you sure its dead?
all legs are so relaxed, if it wus dead front legs would be curled
this dont look right

I just had the exact same thing happen with my B. Boehmei.. she laid in moult position for more than ten days.. NEVER decomposed but finally did start to mold. I would leave this guy in position for a while longer and PRAY.

What can it hurt??

I am SO sorry. I raised MY spider from a tiny sling. it is a HEARTBREAKING experience!

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My P. regalis died like that also, but she wasn't on her back. She made the hammock to molt and just stayed there and died. She was like 6.5 inch and still growing. Her sister molted perfectly and now is 7 inches. Anastasia, not always when a T dies get her legs curled...
I know how it feels... I hate these deaths....:(
She was on a cricket / roach diet like most of my T's.

Best luck with your other T's!

Pato.
OK, I just always gatta make sure it isn't molting
never saw them die like that
sorry to see such beautiful spider dead