My Versicolor has made a huge egg but...

2g33k4u

Arachnopeon
I have a large Versicolor who I can tell is now a female because she made a large egg sac. The million dollarquestion is how did she get pregnant since she is my only versicolor. They cannot cross bread with immature pink toes can they? The small pink toes have their own containers. It is liek an immaculate conception or somethign!

Any insight would be appreciated? Can or do they make egg sacs if they are not pregnant?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
They can lay eggsacs without being paired. They will obviously be duds.
They are called phantom eggsacs.

It's physically impossible for immature males of a different species to phase through solid containers, mate, and phase back into their own container.{D

2g33k4u

Arachnopeon
That is the wierd part I do not have another versicolor But she is holding a huge egg-sac only other avics I have are 2 very small pink toes. The mystery remains.

web eviction

Arachnolord
Like hobo said just a phantom sac most likely just an impatient breeder she wants to have babys find her a boyfriend....

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
That is the wierd part I do not have another versicolor But she is holding a huge egg-sac only other avics I have are 2 very small pink toes. The mystery remains.
Here's my post again, with the important part in bold:D

They can lay eggsacs without being paired. They will obviously be duds.
They are called phantom eggsacs.

It's physically impossible for immature males of a different species to phase through solid containers, mate, and phase back into their own container.{D

2g33k4u

Arachnopeon
Oh, Guess I will have to convince the wife to get another Versicolor. Took forever to talk her into getting the centipede.

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
how long have you had her? was she wild caught? if you haven't had her long and she was wild caught the sack could be viable.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Could be a dud egg sac. A period of sorts for a tarantula. :D

Two questions, though. Did you get her as an adult from a pet store? If so, did she ever molt in your care?

2g33k4u

Arachnopeon
Yes, I purchased her from a store. She still has the sack. She looks like she is near starved. I doubt it is fertile. IS it safe to take the egg sack away so she will start eating again, or will she eventually give up watching it? I would hate to have her starve. I moved her to a new home a Nice front opening PT2606 Ex0-Terra tank. I taped the top of the screen to help keep in the humidity and moisture.

Attachments

Embers To Ashes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How long have you had her?

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Oh, and the reason she is so skinny is because she just gave birth. She no longer has any eggs in her abdomin. It is normal. If it is a dud, she will eat the sack. If you have had her for less than a year and she has not molted, she may actualy have a fertal egg sack. If that is the case, let her be and read and reaserch raising the versis. She knows what she is doing.

MrEMojo

Arachnosquire
remove the tape(you don't want the sack to harbor mold). Has she molted in your care?

2g33k4u

Arachnopeon
She has molted many times in my care this thread is old been a while since i have been back here. My collection has grown quite a bit since i was last here.
Thanks Hobo for the responses it was a DUD i eventually took away and opened it to see inside. The local pet store owner has a male versi I will be breading with I can't wait.

1 x Martinique Pinktoe Tarantula (Avicularia versicolor) Female
1 x Pinktoe Tarantula (Avicularia avicularia)
1 x Brazilian Whiteknee Tarantula (Acanthoscurria geniculata)
1 x Orange Baboon Tarantula (Pterinochilus murinus)
2 x Chaco Golden Knee (Grammostola pulchripes)
1 x Fringed Ornamental Tarantula (Poecilotheria ornata)
1 x Carolina Mantises (Stagmomantis carolina) locally caught and wonderful pet sometiem sit will be holding 2 crickets one in each hand and munching away

---------- Post added 10-15-2013 at 09:33 PM ----------

I got her as a spiderling I think she is nearly full grown None grow wildly in Arizona :)

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
I taped the top of the screen to help keep in the humidity and moisture.
Good luck with your dead Avicularia.
Avicularias do not care about humidity, only about ventilation.
What you're doing at the moment is the #1 cause of Avicularia deaths.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Good luck with your dead Avicularia.
Avicularias do not care about humidity, only about ventilation.
What you're doing at the moment is the #1 cause of Avicularia deaths.
[citation needed]

Some things to consider:
First, the post you are quoting is a little more than two years old. The tarantula in question is still alive.
Second, the OP lives in Arizona. While I do not know what it's like in his house, the tape may be warranted as it does get dry out there.
Third, he has it housed in an exo terra. Even when the top is taped, there is still a lot of ventilation coming in from the front vent, and around the doors; I have kept my A. avicularia the same way for years with no problems.