my ultimate dream pet

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
have you guys ever heard of the pe'epe'emaka'ole also known as the Adelocosa anops or the kauai cave wolf spider? because i sure didnt until i saw one on a teachers slide show and had to do more research and they are one intresting spider for one they have no eyes wich gives them the nickname "No Eyed-Big Eyed Spider" and they are endangered there only known to live in a few caves in hawaii but you see what brings me to the conclusion that i want one is because one i want to do a breeding project with them to help the conservation of them and two there in the Lycosidae family and they dont call me "wolfspidurguy" for nothing i LOVE wolf spiders and i think it would be amazing to own one of if not the most rare wolfer in existance. incase your intrested in them heres some reading and a pic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kauaʻi_cave_wolf_spider
http://legacy.earlham.edu/~reyeras/noeyedbigeyed.htm
No-eyed-big-eyed-wolf-spider-dorsal-view.jpg

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Don't mean to be a buzz kill, but it sound like those have very specific care (perfectly ambient heat and humidity, alongside the amphipods they feed on). Secondly, I would never take one from a cave as they are rare enough and most troglodytes suffer greatly from contact with the outside world via new diseases and such. Just my thoughts, and it may be done, and if so do it.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Don't mean to be a buzz kill, but it sound like those have very specific care (perfectly ambient heat and humidity, alongside the amphipods they feed on).
Yups. And creating a cave environment is basically a beast. After the proper temperature and humidity is established there can be no fluctuations. Ambient light may also be problematic.

The Snark

Old Timer
Bet they don't care if their blind.
H Maxima has the same oculars as the rest of the family.
The thing is caves are thermal and humidity batteries that seldom alter more than a few percent. Thus the indigenous animals operate on entirely different internal clocks. This may make no difference at all, but it is well known that animals with drastically altered internal clocks suffer from decreased life spans.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
H Maxima has the same oculars as the rest of the family.
The thing is caves are thermal and humidity batteries that seldom alter more than a few percent. Thus the indigenous animals operate on entirely different internal clocks. This may make no difference at all, but it is well known that animals with drastically altered internal clocks suffer from decreased life spans.
Oh I see. As a general point, I agree. But this particular spider is eyeless. I think cave animals and deep sea animals obey the same rules on that--eyes get bigger up to a certain distance from the light, and then immediately there's a switch to eyelessness when there's no more light to capture.

This paper is interesting--Somali cave fish with no opsins can't sense light, but they can still have a circadian rhythm. The scientists were able to correlate it with feeding, but I would guess that's facultative, because finding food in a cave in the wild is random. I'd love to see more research about this. I bet in the wild they sleep at sort of random times. That activity graph on the third page is crazy--these fish behave like me :rofl:

The Snark

Old Timer
This paper is interesting--
I'm leaving that one to you. I've got some sort of mental block when it comes to Circadcian, Ultradian and Infradian rhythms along with anything else where the variables get to arbitrarily reassign themselves.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If it's coming from Hawaii then I can pretty much guarantee that no one has it legally. Might not be anyone that has it at all since it's in caves that would likely have extremely limited access.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I wish I could get my hands on Hogna Ingens. Too bad that the beautiful ones are endangered. I'd rescue all of them if I could.
Hogna ingens is amazing too. While I'm dreaming, does anybody know of anyone in the US with lycosa tarantula or Segestria florentina?
I would be interested in buying some. At least this a more realistic dream.