K

kevo2653

Here is my G. Rosa
2.jpg

and here is my newly aquired P. Scrofa
1.jpg

CupcakeRosea

Arachnosquire
You don't need sponges in their water dish. All they do is attract bacteria and serve no purpose.

K

kevo2653

I have the sponges for the crickets and they will only attract bacteria if not cleaned properly and frequently.

toidy

Arachnosquire
Just mist one part of the bark bro. She could drinkk from there

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have the sponges for the crickets and they will only attract bacteria if not cleaned properly and frequently.
Sponges will indeed attract bacteria regardless. Take it out, a tarantula doesn't need it and shouldn't have it. There shouldn't be crickets running rampant through the enclosure at all times anyhow. There is also not enough substrate height in there for terrestrial species, increasing the risk of falls. Falls which may be injurious or fatal, especially given all of those hard and sharp objects you've placed in the enclosures.

timisimaginary

Arachnosquire
yes, i think these enclosures need some rethinking. put the T's interests first, and your own aesthetic pleasure second. there's no reason a T enclosure can't be nice to look at, without the potential T hazards. substrate should be filled so that there is no more than 1-1.5x the T's legspan between the top of the substrate and the top of the cage. hard and/or pointy objects should be removed, a T that climbs and falls onto one of these can suffer a ruptured abdomen and die.

as for the water dish, if you're worried about crickets drowning, put some stones in there for them to climb out on. the stones will not harbor bacteria like a sponge will.

you might look into picking up the Tarantula Keepers Guide from Stan Schultz for some ideas on tarantula housing.