my two inch avic avic has spun a yellow web!

kevp

Arachnosquire
IMG-20140319-00755.jpg IMG-20140319-00754.jpg Hi there, can anyone tell me my avic avic's web is normal? She spun a yellowish tube web!? I thought webs where sumwhat generic is colour.. Grey~silver. Mine is yellow! Can anyone tell me why this is
and is it normal for avics, she's acting fine like usual.. Curious.

Last edited:

kevp

Arachnosquire
The webbing is actualy yellow though.. The camera doesn't really pick it up very well. I've never seen this before at all!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Would be smarter to take a pic of web unobstructed.

There's only one known spider that spins gold, and it's a true spider.

Oreo

Arachnocookie
The majority of the webbing seems white. I would guess the yellow part is stained/dirty from poop and moisture.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I would definitely add more ventilation holes that cage. Avics die when it gets moist and stuffy inside. It's much easier to add moisture and humidity, than it is to remove it.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Looks stained from moisture in the enclosure, I agree add more air holes other than that looks fine.

kevp

Arachnosquire
Would be smarter to take a pic of web unobstructed.

There's only one known spider that spins gold, and it's a true spider.
As you can see the enclosure is too small to get the camera in.. So the smart thing was to get the clearest pictures I could! Which I did. Thanks. But this ws spun over night how can it be stained?

cold blood

Staff member
humidity....because its stuffy (there's not enough cross ventilation), the air will be holding more moisture, which will in turn show any dirt/dust particles in the thicker areas of webbing. Other than needing more cross ventilation, I think the t is fine and I wouldn't worry a lick about the webbing.

kevp

Arachnosquire
I would definitely add more ventilation holes that cage. Avics die when it gets moist and stuffy inside. It's much easier to add moisture and humidity, than it is to remove it.
The enclosre has 42 air holes in the lid, around the top, middle and at substrate level. I also open it everyday..I'm consious of air flow.

---------- Post added 03-19-2014 at 03:44 PM ----------

I'm not worried about her at all she's fine, I've just never seen this colouration in the webbing before at all. Like I said this was spun over night and there was only a few wisps of threads in there before hand.

prairiepanda

Arachnoknight
Old webbing can get quite dirty. When I see webs turning brown or yellow, I usually remove them so the T can build a fresh clean one.

Mello

ArachnoQUEEN
image.jpg

This is my A. avic's web (unstained) and this has not been messed with since I got her 1/1/14. The yellowing is definitely stained from humidity and stagnant air. Stop arguing and listen to everyone that the enclosure indeed needs more ventilation lol! It's good advice, if you want to have your avic around for a while.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As you can see the enclosure is too small to get the camera in.
Actually I can't see because the top of the container is not in view. Nor do I assume what size opening the top has, or assume what camera equipment one owns ;)

CrystalRose

Arachnopeon
How can this staining happen over night then?
To me it looks like because of the high humidity in the enclosure the web is absorbing the tannins from the piece of wood most of the web is on. Some woods when exposed to high moisture secrete tannins that will stain things a yellow/tea color. Just a guess though.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
If you still believe the webbing to actually be coloured instead of stained, pull the webbing out and take another picture for us, please.

This will not bother your T, as it can simply spin again.

kevp

Arachnosquire
To me it looks like because of the high humidity in the enclosure the web is absorbing the tannins from the piece of wood most of the web is on. Some woods when exposed to high moisture secrete tannins that will stain things a yellow/tea color. Just a guess though.
Hi. The wood is polystyrene its fake. I don't understand bcoz I can't get my head around staining overnight.. Its a few hours yano. Wierd. It has plenty of ventilation.

---------- Post added 03-20-2014 at 12:27 AM ----------

View attachment 125209

This is my A. avic's web (unstained) and this has not been messed with since I got her 1/1/14. The yellowing is definitely stained from humidity and stagnant air. Stop arguing and listen to everyone that the enclosure indeed needs more ventilation lol! It's good advice, if you want to have your avic around for a while.
Thanks but I'm not arguing with everybody at all. I'm sorry if you think that but I'm not. Its not an old web.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is it possible that the plastic is warping the light making it appear yellow? From the amount of air holes it sounds like there's plenty of ventilation. You sure you can't get a pic with the lid off so there's nothing obstructing the view?

kevp

Arachnosquire
Is it possible that the plastic is warping the light making it appear yellow? From the amount of air holes it sounds like there's plenty of ventilation. You sure you can't get a pic with the lid off so there's nothing obstructing the view?
Thanks, it is the plastic! Its stained due to the coco fibre substrate that's been in it before this t. Thank you for listening to me, Much appriciated. Feel like abit of an idiot now.. Oh well.

Last edited:

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks, it is the plastic! Its stained due to the coco fibre substrate that's been in it before this t. Thank you for listening to me, Much appriciated. Feel like abit of an idiot now.. Oh well.
Haha no reason to ae, there's always an explanation for everything =) Now you have an avic that has 'yellow' web and you don't need to worry about it being unsafe for the T lol