My tarantula threatened me!

Notdeadyet

Arachnopeon
So I am new to the Hobby, I brought a Mexican red knee sling from my local reptile shop and I've had her for about 2 weeks so far. Shes ate once but I feel she is getting ready to molt as she has a large bald spot on her abdomen.

I tried to feed her a meal worm and she literally wasn't interested. I took the meal worm out afew hours later, however as I did the sling gave me a threat posture! Like WTF! This is the first threat I've gotten from my mini tarantula.

Considering Mexican red knee tarantulas are docile will I be able to handle mine in the future? I handled it in the store and it was relaxed and friendly, So I hope it stays docile.

Jmanbeing93

Arachnosquire
I tried to feed her a meal worm and she literally wasn't interested. I took the meal worm out afew hours later, however as I did the sling gave me a threat posture! Like WTF! This is the first threat I've gotten from my mini tarantula.
It's in premolt. Of course, it is going to be a little grumpy and not eat as much. I hope it stays docile too but tarantulas aren't really meant for handling. It is stressful for them, they are a display pet.

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
Their personalities can shift depending on several factors. They can seem like docile little fluff balls one minute, demon spawn the next with full threat posture and venom dripping from their fangs. This is why, along with countless other keepers on here, I recommend not handling your spiders. It poses great risk to the spider because they can get spooked and bite, causing you to involuntarily fling them into the wall, or bolt off your hand and falling to the floor and causing a ruptured abdomen. Handling is not worth the risks, it stresses the animal, and you risk getting bit. They're more of an observational pet, like aquarium fish: look, but don't touch.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Considering Mexican red knee tarantulas are docile will I be able to handle mine in the future? I handled it in the store and it was relaxed and friendly, So I hope it stays docile.
I wouldn't anymore speak about handling, in all honesty I'm more now into a: 'do what you want' mode.

A thing, when you handled the Theraphosidae in the store bugger wasn't friendly and relaxed. You think he/she was, indeed, but that's far from the truth, man.

Notdeadyet

Arachnopeon
Thanks for everyone's response. As for handling its not a must for me, I know its not the type of pet you cuddle. I'm also not scared of getting bitten. I know people are 50-50 about handling because everyone has different opinions.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Thanks for everyone's response. As for handling its not a must for me, I know its not the type of pet you cuddle. I'm also not scared of getting bitten. I know people are 50-50 about handling because everyone has different opinions.
Make that 80-20 around here. ;)

You're not afraid of a bite? When your B.hamorii is full grown it will have fangs of approx. 1 to 1,5 cm. The physical damage alone is quite intense...

As for threat postures... Well, Theraphosidae do this. Even the more tolerant species are known to be grouchy now and then. To them, you're a big monster who invades their space, and the response is fight, flight or freeze. Threat posture is fight, the 'docility and calmness' of it in the petstore was freeze ;)

Notdeadyet

Arachnopeon
You're not afraid of a bite? When your B.hamorii is full grown it will have fangs of approx. 1 to 1,5 cm. The physical damage alone is quite intense...
I know it sounds strange but I don't actually fear that. I know some people are scared of getting bitten but I'd never buy a pet that scares me.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
however as I did the sling gave me a threat posture!
Animals do that when they feel threatened, why so surprised?

Considering Mexican red knee tarantulas are docile
This is not true 100% Some are tolerant of their human owners, some are not. Are all people nice....

will I be able to handle mine in the future? I handled it in the store and it was relaxed and friendly, So I hope it stays docile.
Handling is an activity that serves no benefit to the tarantula, it's actually a great way to kill or injure one actually. If you bought this exotic animal with the idea of handling it, you bought the wrong animal and should own a hamster or a puppy.

Some Ts are docile in the beginning and after a molt become quite short tempered. Anyone who told you they are all docile is full of crap, let alone handling.

Defining the T as friendly is not correct. You are anthropomorphizing and that is a dangerous thing to do with wild, exotic animals.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I know it sounds strange but I don't actually fear that. I know some people are scared of getting bitten but I'd never buy a pet that scares me.
I should have phrased that differently. I am not scared of being bitten, but i sure do have a healthy respect for those fangs and wouldn't do anything that would intentionally increase the risk of getting bit. ;)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Most people that get bitten cannot fight their instinct to recoil and whip their pet against the wall. We had someone not long ago have this happen to. The T ended up missing/dead or both.

Grace Cannell

Arachnosquire
Yeah, don't take the typical temperament of this species as law, both of mine are "supposed" to be docile but that doesn't mean they can't get moody. Additionally both of mine went through a phase where flicking or threat posing were their first reaction to anything. It really does depend on the individual. I am a member who is against handling but these are your T's so no one can stop you. I just do not think the risk of being bitten is worth it. I myself am frightened of being bitten, mainly because of what viper69 said, I have no idea how I would react, one of my T's was incredibly lucky to survive a fall (long story) and I really don't want another incident like that because I had a knee jerk reaction from being bitten. Also I am not a fan of pain. I am not frightened of my animals, just aware of what they can do.

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
More than anything else to consider in the question of handling is the risks to the spider, not to the keeper themselves, in my opinion. Yes, you may get bit, but you'll live. Your spider likely will not. If your instinct to fling your arm out or at the very least jerk your muscle is not suppressed, you could potentially throw the spider into the wall/onto the floor rupturing the abdomen, or the spider could get spooked and run/fall to it's death or it could escape. The risks just aren't worth it.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Just wait for @The Grym Reaper to chime in with his B. hamorii
Perfect example!
Ask and ye shall receive :angelic:

"Get a Brachypelma hamorii." They said...
"They're docile and pettable." They said...

Individual temperaments can vary wildly and can change at any time, even from moult to moult, the charming young lady pictured above used to be my most docile tarantula, she wouldn't kick hairs and wouldn't so much as flinch if you touched her (she was one of the few tarantulas I handled back when I still handled my tarantulas).

After her second moult in my care she became extremely defensive, she sometimes throws up a threat posture as soon as I open her enclosure, if I gently prod a leg to get her to move (if I need her to move, I don't just poke her for the fun of it) then she'll immediately turn to face, throw up a threat posture and start slapping the ground with her front legs.

I suppose the one good thing to come from this is that she still doesn't kick hairs :troll:

Will you be able to handle yours in the future?

Doubt it and, to be honest, you shouldn't anyway as the risks to the animal far outweigh any benefit you get from the experience.

Are all people nice....
Don't get me started :grumpy::oldman::rolleyes:

Last edited:

DanBsTs

Dan (Not Even Cool) the Man
I should have phrased that differently. I am not scared of being bitten, but i sure do have a healthy respect for those fangs and wouldn't do anything that would intentionally increase the risk of getting bit. ;)
This lol I I feel like you should treat T's understanding they can put you in a hurt locker. :punch: Kind of like a gun whether loaded or not.

Otteresting

Arachnoknight
Being threatened by a T is something you must get used to when you buy one. It's always like :"How dare you, I am feeding you, keepin' you alive", but the most important thing to understand is that they do only have instintive reactions and there's nothing to do about it..

About handling, it happenened to me once, a sling was about to quit the enclosure when I was watering it, I've put my hand in front of her, she went on it, but I put her back in her enclosure few seconds after, but yeah, thats such a strange feeling to have a 8 legged animal walking on you.. ^^ But as others said so, that's not worth the risk.

ChickenTaco

Arachnosquire
Thats like how most of the time Alphopelma Chalcodes are supposedly docile and slow :C NOT MY BOY!!! He threatens kicks and lunges as soon as he knows i need to get in his area for whatever reason, my Lp, A genic, and Chaco dont even come close to his temper combined DX!!!