My T was lying on her back, but not in a molt

Jaci7429

Arachnopeon
I have a Avicularia (Pink Toe) and a few weeks ago, (2 and a half) she totally enclosed her self in. I have a few decorative things in her cage that she likes to hangout in or climb on, since she is arboreal. Anyways, she hasn't been wanting to eat for those two weeks. I check on her everyday and yesterday she was totally fine, today i found her on her back as if shes about to molt. a hour later i find her not on her back and there isn't a old shell. I'm not sure what is going on with her. This is my first time having a arboreal tarantula, and also my first time ever experiencing this. Help anyone! I'm really interested in figuring out exactly what she is up to.

DanBsTs

Dan (Not Even Cool) the Man
When was her last molt? Any pictures of her enclosure might shed some light on the situation.

nykxx

Arachnopeon
She could have been interrupted somehow during molting, like a loud noise or moving the enclosure.
Check back in an hour or two and see if she flips back over.

I had this issue once, and she came out fine after molting :happy:

Jaci7429

Arachnopeon
Maybe that could have been it? I was playing music when i found her and continued to play it until i found her back on top.

Jaci7429

Arachnopeon
Is that normal for them to do if they are in a molt? to flip back over, does it have to be early in her molt to do that?

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Is that normal for them to do if they are in a molt? to flip back over, does it have to be early in her molt to do that?
It's not uncommon for them if they're disturbed before they start the molting process. They lay on their backs for a while before their carapace pops and they actually start to molt. I've had a few of my Ts flip back over because I picked up the enclosure not expecting a molt. They usually just try again within a few hours and it's of no consequence

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Not unless they are disturbed before the carapace pops. (This happened once with my Acanthoscurria geniculata. I wanted to take a picture of him, but it startled him, and he flipped back onto his legs. I decided not to take any more photos. A few minutes later, he was on his back again and molted without further incident.)

When I know they are molting, I try not to disturb them. This means no loud music, as they may feel vibrations of the bass.