My T is just sitting in water for the past few days... What is this?

jblayza

Arachnopeon
could be hydrating himsef for a moult, my P. ornata did that then molted soon after. Good luck with your T, now that you have the net you have tool for research.

M.C. Exotics

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As far as crushed walnut goes... I HATE it! So far I haven't seen any animals do well on it, most ingest some and it ends up shredding their digestive track making them poo blood when they use the bathroom. Seeing what it does to various lizards I'd hate to see what it could do to a T especially after molting while they're soft. Anywho, I use a 50/50 mix of peat and horticulture grade vermiculite which is all available at most stores that have a garden dept.

Snakeguybuffalo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
so did we ever answer her question about the species yet? I don't believe it is A. hentzi. What it really looks like to me is the Aphonopelma sp. Flagstaff orange, a much prettier spider. And a good find I might add.

The main problem I've run into seeing at pet stores that use that crushed english walnut, is that it is extremely dusty, and a more coarse grade of dust than sand. It's definitely not something I would want any of my animals breathing in, including my desert species reptiles. As a novice, you wouldn't know, and you've done a good thing by coming on this site and becoming a member. You'll learn a lot in a short period of time. Chalk this up to a learning experience, and watch your T collection grow as you grow too!!

MickeyMad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you all for all your help. Here's her new home. She seems much happier and I haven't seen her sit in her water dish since I put in the new substrate. It's good to know what species she is. She is a very beautiful tarantula.

One last question... is there anything I am supposed to do what she molts or is it just like a lizard shedding?

View attachment 71600
View attachment 71601

Last edited:

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She will flip onto her back to molt, it can take many hours before she works out of her old skin and turns upright again. Just leave her be and wait a couple weeks after the molt before you feed her again.

vbrooke

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What a beautiful Tarantula. I'm glad to see she is happier in her new home. Best of luck to you.{D

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
One last question... is there anything I am supposed to do what she molts
Yes: absolutely nothing. Any attempt by you to "help" will probably kill her. Just make sure she has plenty of water, don't leave uneaten prey in the tank for more than 24 hours (bugs like to chew on molting tarantulas if she starts molting and they're still in there), and like the other person said do not touch her if you walk in and she's on her back one day. Tarantulas do not flip over when they die, that's a myth.

With a big spider like that, do not panic unless it ends up being over 24 hours and she's still not done. If this happens, do not touch her - post a thread on the forums for suggestions from people who've had this happen too, or use search. There are ways to help a T that's clearly having problems, but you need to be sure what you're doing first.

Do not feed for at least two weeks afterward. Again, make sure she has plenty of water during this time. :)

EDIT: Also it occurs to me that the reason she's stopped being in the water dish (besides walnut shells being dusty and abrasive) is that the new substrate looks nice and damp now. Some species/individuals have a preference for that, I know my L. parahybana does. So every week or two you can take a glass of water and slowly pour it into the dirt - don't make liquid mud or anything, but get it dark and damp like it is in those pics.

Let it dry out completely at least once a week so it doesn't mold, though.

Tuwin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Her home looks good now. Personally i would still add a lot more substrate but other than that it looks great and i am happy to hear that she is more happy in her new home now

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, she definately is looking alot better on that subs. Follow what Mushroom Spore said about a glass of water on the subs. And get some pics after she has molted as it might help ID her.

BurrowDweller

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The new set up looks much better. As for species I would go A. chalcodes, but trying to ID any aphonopelma from a picture is hard. Especially when the taxonimists don't have the genus figured out completely.

SpiderZone2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have had a few of mine do the same. It won't hurt them and either because it is dry or they like the coolness or maybe a drink for them. My seemani would do this often. My L. parahybana does this once in a while. My maculata would do this only when she wanted a drink. I have pics somewhere that I took when she had done this. I would really not be too concerned if the humidity levels are up. Your T looks in good health so I really would not be too worried about it.

MickeyMad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
She will flip onto her back to molt, it can take many hours before she works out of her old skin and turns upright again. Just leave her be and wait a couple weeks after the molt before you feed her again.
Cool. I would've freaked out if she was just lying on her back one day :)

MickeyMad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, she definately is looking alot better on that subs. Follow what Mushroom Spore said about a glass of water on the subs. And get some pics after she has molted as it might help ID her.
Yeah I'll put some up after she molts. I'm curious as to what you guys think she is. Thanks again for everyone's help.