My T Died, need help on what to get next.

Atomo

Arachnopeon
My rosea "Steve" recently died, lived a solid 5 years, about 2 years after his ultimate moult.

Anyway, I've given it some thought, and I would really enjoy a T I could feed mice to.

Any ideas? Price is sort of an option, so obviously a blondi would be out of the question. Might a Curlyhair (Brachypelma albopilosum) work?

Thanks
Rob

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
And you want to do this for what reason again? :?

And price is an option? :confused:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Maybe it's just me, but feeding mice or rats is pointless. They get the same nutrients from crickets, without the rotting smell. That, and mice and rats feel pain much more so than an invertebrate does. I just feel bad for the rats and mice.

Anyway...

tin man

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Gramostola aureostriatas can get up to 8 inches, they might work, but if your going to buy the tarantula while its big, than they can be kind of expensive..... thats what I know

tin man

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
oh and are these adult mice or just pinckies? Beecause I would deffinately never feed my tarantula adult mice.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i to do not get it ? i would not feed mice or rats to ANY ( T ) their's a lot of big ( T )around what do you like the look of ?---- phil

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Okay Rob, I'm guessing you came here from /an/ after me and spiderman were saying get a new T... but here feeding off things like mice is not considered good etique for what you are looking for in a T, if that's what you really want get a snake or phrase it as you want a large T that isn't terribly expensive.
to which I would reccomend a G. aureostriata, an A. geniculata, or a L. parahybana ---- there go research, another way to do so is looking at the different dealers sites

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/links/browselinks.php?c=5

K1j1m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i would suggest L. parahybana. they get big and are pretty aggresive eaters. Also mice smell and are realy realy disgusting to watch your T eat it. All you basicly see is puss and guts oozing out of the mouse. If you wanna feed it something different then crix i would say give it a anole once and a while

Phil Hall

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My rosea "Steve" recently died, lived a solid 5 years, about 2 years after his ultimate moult.

Anyway, I've given it some thought, and I would really enjoy a T I could feed mice to.

Thanks
Rob

Must have been abused by mice in a previous life...
:eek:

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Any ideas? Price is sort of an option, so obviously a blondi would be out of the question. Might a Curlyhair (Brachypelma albopilosum) work?

Thanks
Rob
I know what you mean, but sometimes its just where to look for T;s. There are places where they sell T blondis for ridiculous prices like 400 or 500 dollars or places you can find a great , healthy subadult for 150 or less...
I bought T's from Billy (Butch4skin@yahoo.com- I think) ,ask him for prices, he has healthy T's and great prices.

You can try Lasiodora Parahybana, Achantoscurria Geniculata...

silieputty

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
All you basicly see is puss and guts oozing out of the mouse. If you wanna feed it something different then crix i would say give it a anole once and a while
Pus? Hopefully you aren't seeing pus ooze from a mouse! That would suggest you're feeding a sick mouse (with an abscess or other suppurative infection) to your T.

Though I dislike the idea of feeding mice on any routine basis, I would suggest any of the Lasiodora genus. I have a L. dificilis, which gets just as large as L. parahybana - if not larger.

K1j1m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Maby it wasnt puss but it was deffintly some nasty mouse fluid.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you get a blondi sling, you could afford one. I have seen and bought blondi slings for $40. They grow very fast so it would be big in no time. However going from a rosea to a blondi probably isn't the best idea in the world.
If you are interested in getting into more defensive T's, start with something like an A. geniculata, or an L. parahybana, both are slightly defensive, get big, and are eating machines.
I do have to disagree with some of the other opinions that have been stated. I do feed mice on occasion, but it is my HUGE mature male blondi that gets them, and not very often. The largest he has ever been fed was a small frozen thawed mouse, he did eat it, and it took him over 24 hours to do so. His diet normally consists of the largest roaches I can find. Hisser, disciods and some larger dubias. He is just to big to eat even the largest of crickets.