My T caught a cricket midair. :D Anyone else have an acrobat?

Jenthevet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey all,

Just wanted to share how cool my little 3-year old T is. Maybe this is something all Ts do and is no biggie for most folks but it was to this new T mama. ;)

A few days ago, I put two crickets in her enclosure. They were both running along on the substrate and next to the glass, all the while my G. pulchripes is waiting motionless. The cricket in the rear bumped the cricket in the front, making the one in front leap directly towards my T. My T went up on its hind legs and snatched that bug outta mid air, then promptly grabbed the other cricket as it came near her.

I then had the pleasure of watching her make a silk dining mat, put the bugs on top of it, start covering the bugs with silk, pick them back up, then face me while she was chomping their heads off.

As if I didn't dig her before, now I love the little thing. She so rocks! <3

Thanks for reading! :D

pavel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Shouldn't that be an "arachnobat"? :D

Haven't seen a midair capture, but I have seen a sling tackle (and I do mean "tackle") a cricket before. Quite amusing.
:p

Drakk

Arachnosquire
Pulchripes are awesome ^^....Lp and arboreals are also awesome to watch hunt....there so unpredictable :p one of my coolest is a Euathlus sp. blue...i drop crickets roaches etc while its on the side of its tank and it snatches em...sweet.

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Back in the good old days when my versi hung out in plain sight, I would drop crickets into the enclosure, and yes, he would snatch them mid-air. At first I thought it was just luck, but he demonstrated this talent so consistently that I realized it's all part of an arboreal's nature.

cnapple

Arachnoknight
Both my A. metallica and A. versicolor will dive and tackle crickets. It's pretty fun to watch. My tiny versicolor sling once leapt from about 2" height, tackled the cricket, and flipped over in a roll. My P. scrofa will often snag a cricket on each fang. {D

web eviction

Arachnolord
When I feed my small P. regalis I hold it in the tongs and it will leap from where ever it is grab the cricket rip it free from the tongs then jump off lol when I feed my young P. Ornata she moves out to the middle of the enclosure flips on its back and waits for the cricket to cross over it strangest thing I've seen with all my T's there so freakin awesome!

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I feed my young P. Ornata she moves out to the middle of the enclosure flips on its back and waits for the cricket to cross over it strangest thing I've seen with all my T's there so freakin awesome!
i'd like to see a video of this!

RoseT

Arachnosquire
My P irminia..well not mine anymore but....He would almost back flip and catch crickets in mid air...It was the coolest thing ever...Always loved watching him feed.

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My LP's, A. Genic's and T. stirmi all catch their food any which way they can. In the air, while on the glass, while underground (atleast for roaches and superworms), etc.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I kinda have an acrobat. My Haplo kicks the cricket against the wall and catches it on the rebound. She might be more adept at playing wallball rather than an acrobat though. ;)

Simon83

Arachnosquire
LOL I love their lil acrobatic skills. I was feeding my rosie last night but that damn cricket decided it would rather commit suicide in the water bowl than get eaten.
So I flicked it out with a fork and Sophia just kind of leaped sideways and rolled over catching it. It was awesome :p

TrentinG

Arachnopeon
lol one of my avics was on the wall and a cricket was on a branch up in the air and he jumped did a 180 sunk its fangs right into it :drool:

Ben Oliver

Arachnopeon
acrobats

my little 3" avic avic will do back flips for moths and flying insects

ElevenBravo

Arachnopeon
Not arachnobatic but my G. pulchripes runs across her enclosure and snatches the life out of her food so fast it takes a second or so for my brain to catch up. I drop the crickets on the other side away from her just to see her do it. I accidentally dropped one in her water bowl and she drownded it and ate it too. The last tome I fed her a superworm it was squirming and touched her leg so she just ripped it in half.