my slings are hiding from me!

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We currently have three slings that have burrowed down in their enclosure and sealed the entrance.

i haven't seen my A. hentzi in three weeks or so, the RCF C. rose in a few days less than that and my B. smithi disappeared somewhere around the 3rd of this month.

We have been leaving them alone, assuming they must just be preparing to molt, but we are starting to get a little worried about them. We mist their boxes about once a week, but are worried about them getting enough moisture down at the bottom of their burrows, since the hentzi and rose burrowed all the way to the bottom.

Should we just keep waiting it out, or is my worry wart right that i need to dig them out to check on them? Like i said above, i know that this is normal behavior, i just wonder how long i should be waiting and not worried, since they are small slings.

JNG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
We currently have three slings that have burrowed down in their enclosure and sealed the entrance.

i haven't seen my A. hentzi in three weeks or so, the RCF C. rose in a few days less than that and my B. smithi disappeared somewhere around the 3rd of this month.

We have been leaving them alone, assuming they must just be preparing to molt, but we are starting to get a little worried about them. We mist their boxes about once a week, but are worried about them getting enough moisture down at the bottom of their burrows, since the hentzi and rose burrowed all the way to the bottom.

Should we just keep waiting it out, or is my worry wart right that i need to dig them out to check on them? Like i said above, i know that this is normal behavior, i just wonder how long i should be waiting and not worried, since they are small slings.
dont feel bad. my avicularia sling has only moved, maybe, a quarter inch in 3 days. the guy i bought it from said thats normal. great!

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
dont feel bad. my avicularia sling has only moved, maybe, a quarter inch in 3 days. the guy i bought it from said thats normal. great!
i wouldn't worry if it had only been a few days, but we're talking about weeks in a burrow. My other slings don't move much, but T's don't move much.

JNG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wish it would a little so i know its still alive

T_DORKUS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i wouldn't worry if it had only been a few days, but we're talking about weeks in a burrow. My other slings don't move much, but T's don't move much.
You'll get used to it. That's what they do- eat till they have their fill, then go hide for a few weeks. Even months! I guess that's why many of us have quite a few. {D

ETA: As to how long to wait- as long as it takes. They will come out eventually.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You'll get used to it. That's what they do- eat till they have their fill, then go hide for a few weeks. Even months! I guess that's why many of us have quite a few. {D

ETA: As to how long to wait- as long as it takes. They will come out eventually.
Yes, but are they eating? I at least notice that my slings have emerged to eat on a more frequent basis than 3 weeks.

T_DORKUS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, but are they eating? I at least notice that my slings have emerged to eat on a more frequent basis than 3 weeks.
According to the OP, the slings sealed their burrow. I took that to mean they blocked their burrows with substrate. If this is the case, they won't have access to food and normally don't emerge till after they molt.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No, they are not. They have sealed up the entrances with substrate. We are up at all hours and haven't seen them in weeks. i know these are slow growing species, but i thought that slings were voracious eaters. Which is why we are wondering about it.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
According to the OP, the slings sealed their burrow. I took that to mean they blocked their burrows with substrate. If this is the case, they won't have access to food and normally don't emerge till after they molt.
Yes, but once my slings have blocked their burrows they typically molt yesterday.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wouldn't lose any sleep over your slings, but a few things do sound odd (of course we're dealing with Ts--"usual" rarely applies).

Atreyuhero4

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When I first got my OBT sling it burrowed itself down in the sub and i didnt see it for about a month and a half and then it finally came out with its size doubled!

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wouldn't lose any sleep over your slings, but a few things do sound odd (of course we're dealing with Ts--"usual" rarely applies).
So I agree that this sounds a little odd whats the temp in your house if its to cool the T may be digging in deep for warmth.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i also find it odd that three have done it at the same time, which is why i asked. i was worried that maybe something we were doing was not optimal or conducive, even with all our research.

ErinKelley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm with Dorkus, you need more Ts so you don't have just 3 to look at {D .

I'm also with eveyone else as far as reasons why. If they were mine I'd probably leave them. Have you looked at the bottom of your enclosures? Usually my slings will burrow to the bottom where I can see them even if not from the side.

Atreyuhero4

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i also find it odd that three have done it at the same time, which is why i asked. i was worried that maybe something we were doing was not optimal or conducive, even with all our research.
When my slings molted they were all different sp. but they molted within days of eachother.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm with Dorkus, you need more Ts so you don't have just 3 to look at {D .
We already have 10 in the house and 6 are babies.:drool:

I'm also with eveyone else as far as reasons why. If they were mine I'd probably leave them. Have you looked at the bottom of your enclosures? Usually my slings will burrow to the bottom where I can see them even if not from the side.
You can't really see them through the bottom, it's a sterilite container. i can see just a little hint of the rosie, but none of the hentzi or smithi.

ShellsandScales

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have several slings that are constantly hidden. I have lost one out of many but it is best to leave them be and just not worry about it. You are more likely to disturb them during a molt or accidentally crush them trying to look for them. I have an A. hentzi that I got in october as an egg with legs. It has only eaten once ever, but has molted 3 times and still has good size to its abdomen. hopefully that gives some perspective to their durability. Its still doing just fine and looks like it is ready to molt again. Just make sure they don't get too dry and leave them be. I know its hard and takes forever but they will grow up eventually.