My scorpion let a mealworm escape!

mushiking

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My Pandinus Imperator's 10 gallon aquarium has 4 inches of soil. A mealworm was placed in the vivarium but the scorpion didn't eat it so it dug somewhere in the aquarium. How do I remove it?

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Stick your hand in the enclosure and dig out the mealworm with a stick or pair of tweezers.

Or, wait for it to emerge. Don't blink!{D

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thats why it's a good idea to present your scorp with the mealworm, so he takes it and it doesn't escape, and get a chance to dig itself into the soil. just keep an eye out for it.

mushiking

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Do you mean hand feeding my scorpion? If that's what you mean then I think my Mom will not allow me to hand feed it because I could get pinched or stung.I'm 12 years old.

kupo969

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Do you mean hand feeding my scorpion? If that's what you mean then I think my Mom will not allow me to hand feed it because I could get pinched or stung.I'm 12 years old.
You can alway tong feed it or just drop the worm (with tongs) infront of the emp. If it starts digging and the emp does not catch it, you have to catch it.

It's pretty simple. In this hobby you gotta have tongs, they are your best tool.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you use tongs to present the food item to your scorpion then you will not get pinched or stung.

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that's what I meant by "present it with the food item"

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am 12 years old too and if I learned one thing in my 7 years in this hobby, it's that tongs are your best friend. :razz:

talljosh003

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
crush the meal worm head slightly... it like half kills them so they still wiggle but dont really do much else

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
other suggestions . . .

-put the mealworm in an escape proof dish

or

-don't use mealworms as feeders

bjaeger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mealworms are annoying for that reason, but they're much easier to catch/maintain than crickets!

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Nice. I did the same thing and I'm 28 so don't feel bad. I put it in figuring he would eat it and then I looked back and it was gone and I realized the mistake instantly. I searched and searched but I can not find him. He must have turned back into dirt.

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
Using tongs is the best way. Also, i wouldnt suggest keeping ur emp on mealworm as a staple diet, too much fat contents, not good for them. Give them roach or crickets, just a littlw suggestion :).

scorpionguy77

Arachnopeon
I have used superworms a couple times as feeders ONLY when crickets were in short supply at local pet stores and what I do when I have a runner is this....the worm eventually finds a comfy quiet spot in the soil and pupates, then it emerges as a beetle, which, in my experience, is a great morsel for my emperor at that point. But I am not sure that superworms bite like mealworms do. Just my two cents.

SCORPIONNOOB

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ive had this happen like 10 times. Just let them emerge as the beetle and catch them. They are slow and I have had one in the tank for as long as 2 weeks (not because I didnt try and catch him... let me tell ya) and it didnt do any harm to my scorps. Dont worry.