My Rosie is driving me nuts!

Jainkee_J

Arachnopeon
I made a thread a while back about my Rosie webbing over her hide, she covered the 2 front entrances as well as the inside of her hide. So I was told she was going to molt. It's been well over a month, maybe 2 months since she's done that. I was told not to feed her & give her water when her dish was empty & she'd be fine. It seems she is fine, but I'm getting kinda worried. I haven't fed her for the entired time after she started doing this. She's still not molting & it doesn't seem like she will anytime soon. What should I do? Thanks!

-Jainkee

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
From what I've heard about G. r. (and you've probs heard it too) is that they can starve for a while at times... maybe months. There are people who havn't been able to feed their rosea for over a year! Often that is attributed to the temperature. In what way I can't say for sure...

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
just keep trying to feed every week or so and see what happens...

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It always makes me nervous when I cannot see inside a burrow. Had a T get stuck in a molt and because she was all walled in, I didn't know and she died unnecessarily. I had her for years and it broke my heart that I let her suffer and die so horribly because I wanted her to be 'a spider' and happy. I realize now that these Ts we have are in CAPTIVITY.... so they need our attention.

I have a clear burrowing container up against the tank side that I keep a covered peep hole for times I feel she needs to be monitored. She doesn't know it coz the entire thing is covered with substrate. She's happy, I'm happy. I'll NEVER let another 'angel' of mine die for no reason.

nightbreed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah try her with some food if she hasn't munched it by the next day take it out repeat next week. Rosies do go on long fasts so dont fret to much from what I've read they have been known to go a year or more without food.
As long as her butt looks nice and plump dont worry :)

She could still be in premoult my Rosie didnt eat for about three months before he finally got his butt in gear and moulted

Last edited:

Jainkee_J

Arachnopeon
Are they active during premolt? Mine, walks around between the back entrance of her hide, the side of her hide & inside her hide. Her water dish is on the other side of her web, I never see her drinking, but she's got to be drinking it or else she would die, right?

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Rosies, for being one of the most popular T pets, are crazy as all get-out! You never know what they are gonna do, why they do it , when they do it, or if they are even going to behave like a tarantula :?

I have a friend that has had one Rosie for several years and she never follows the rules !

nightbreed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
mine was very active he became a little bulldozer, digging holes, building piles of substrate it was cool to watch the crazy little bugger :)
yeah shes probably drinking when your back is turned, like I said if her butt is plump she should be fine.

nightbreed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Apocalypstick said:
Rosies, for being one of the most popular T pets, are crazy as all get-out! You never know what they are gonna do, why they do it , when they do it, or if they are even going to behave like a tarantula :?

I have a friend that has had one Rosie for several years and she never follows the rules !
I second that they are quite mad :D

cryptly

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My rosie hasn't done the fast thing yet. . .but I'm waiting for it.

In the mean time she dances while eating, will just suddenly stop while walking (and will sit there, legs in the air, for quite awhile ), and gunks up her water dish with webbing. :? She also webs herself in her hide, stays there for a few days, then comes out and spends the next few days sitting on top of her hide.

I think she enjoys making me scratch my head. {D

JJJoshua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My 1st rosie went 6 months without eating, then ate like crazy for a month, stopped for three, then ate normally every week there after. My 2nd rosie is currently on a 3 month fast. Sounds like she either is getting ready to molt, or just wants to be left alone. 2 months of fasting is not uncommon at all, no worries.

peace,

leo3375

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My rosie was eating like a horse about a week ago, then abruptly stopped. I have a feeling she's going to molt soon, but I can't be 100% sure. I'll try feeding her again this weekend if nothing happens molt-wise.

metralias

Arachnopeon
Rosie's crack me up. Last week mine completely filled her water dish with dirt, and then buried all the cricket food. I guess she is against gut loading.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
metralias said:
Rosie's crack me up. Last week mine completely filled her water dish with dirt, and then buried all the cricket food. I guess she is against gut loading.
Cricket food? Are you saying that you keep your crickets in the T's enclosure full time? You should not leave uneaten prey items in your T's enclosures more than 24 hours. Shoudl your T begin to molt, the prey items will possibly start snacking your defenseless T. Not to mention the additional stress placed on the tarantula. The only NW T I have ever had that developed a bald spot occurred when a cricket was in his enclosure for several days. The cricket found a great hiding spot, so I never saw it until about a week after I put it in there. I wondered why my B. boehmei was developing a bald spot and finally saw the cricket.

metralias

Arachnopeon
They only stay in a day. I just put in food in case they are hungry. I have had the occasional lost cricket problem, I swear I have to dig up the whole enclosure to find them sometimes.

Windchaser said:
Cricket food? Are you saying that you keep your crickets in the T's enclosure full time? You should not leave uneaten prey items in your T's enclosures more than 24 hours. Shoudl your T begin to molt, the prey items will possibly start snacking your defenseless T. Not to mention the additional stress placed on the tarantula. The only NW T I have ever had that developed a bald spot occurred when a cricket was in his enclosure for several days. The cricket found a great hiding spot, so I never saw it until about a week after I put it in there. I wondered why my B. boehmei was developing a bald spot and finally saw the cricket.

jw73

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
metralias said:
They only stay in a day. I just put in food in case they are hungry. I have had the occasional lost cricket problem, I swear I have to dig up the whole enclosure to find them sometimes.
You are very pleasnt for prey. :clap:

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Both of the rosies we have they don't know there suppose to be docile. They think there OBTs

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
metralias said:
lol i can't stop laughing