My question since I'm now considering a boa or python.

Washout

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Ever since I saw the pics that Scorpio posted of his Brazilian Rainbow Boa I've been fascinated by them and am now considering getting an iridescent boa or python of some sort. I'd like to get a smaller one but I'm most impressed with the BRB.

I'm considering an Argentine Boa, Brazilian Rainbow Boa, White Lipped Python, or a Ringed Python. Mostly I want a small snake 4' or under if possible. But I am considering the rainbow because to me, they look the most striking. Even though they may get around 6'. Which of these would be easiest on a new snake owner? Males are always smaller right?

What sized enclosure would be required for a Rainbow Boa? 50 gallon long fish tank size, or is that too big or small? Edit: Yep apparently 50 gallon is about what's required.

Last edited:

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
Argentines are expensive, White Lips are also pricey (and very bitey, not for beginners). A friend used to have a Ringed python, but I don't remember what it was like.

xelda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Columbian boas are smaller rainbow boas but they lack the striking pattern of the BRBs.

Maybe it's just me, but if this is going to be your first snake, I don't recommend a boa or python at all. Rosy or sand boas may be a better choice because of their small size and docile temperament, but they're not true boas.

Washout

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well my cousin has a couple, so I'm not completely clueless. And I've seen how easy it is to take care of something like a corn snake. I'm also aware of the humidity requirements of these snakes and I'm sure I'll be able to do that as well as keep it up to the correct temperature.

I am concerned about feeding and stress. Handling though seems to be encouraged with all these snakes, when young, to get them to be less bitey. And I'm also aware that you should feed via a different container and move the snake to this other container to feed so they get handled and associate handling with feeding time, and don't associate their cage as a feeding area. And I read they should be fed every 7 to 10 days as juveniles and every 14 days as adults. Am I missing anything?

eksong

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Columbian Boas vary in size depending primarily on the size and frequency of their diet. I know alot of breeders who deliberately stunt their boas, although it really isn't recommended.

My boa is 3 years old and a hair over 4 feet long. I purchased it from a local breeder who was selling his entire stock. It's true they can be nippy without frequent human interaction but mines has tamed down immensely after daily handling.

I think the biggest drawback for boas is their poop. Foul does not accurately describe the smell.

Attachments

L'inglesou

Arachnopeon
I would definatly recomend a red tail boa over a BRB. Though, both are my favorite two snakes in the world... But I would recomend a BCC over a BCI for a starter snake... if you're new, and don't want a huge snake... get a male... they stay a tad smaller and are just as sweet.
BCC s are said to possibly be fiestier and harder to care for than BCIs, but if your going to put in all the effort anyway, get something a little more exotic and pretty :)

BRB are sweet... Most start off pretty nippy, but get out of it really quick. if they don't get out of it and you aquire an adult that's real pissy like i have a number of times, it sucks. seriously... their bites hurt and bleed.

i've had some real sweet ones though and i think they enclosure requirements, i've found you can make some really beautiful elaborate enclosures for them.

both species are great hardy beginer snakes as long as it's an adult.

Last edited:

Washout

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Too many acroynyms. :p The only one I recognized there was BRB.

L'inglesou

Arachnopeon
BCI = Boa Constrictor Imperator Columbia etc. / Common / Inexpensive
BCC = Boa Constrictor Constrictor Guyana etc. / Elitest / Expensive

Go check out pictures of each and you'll see what i'm talking about